NGD, but how can I best balance usability with fade-protection? Any creative solutions?

I finally pulled the trigger on a PRS core custom 24. It's a 2018 model, violet blue burst. After many years of searching I finally found one locally and used, such that I both like the color and the price.
NYQYil-QTT-Wo-Su-DZih-FFTw.jpg

20230622-200002.jpg

(Obviously the pickups are not stock, btw, and I plan to replace them with 85/15 TCIs I just bought)

However, I understand that PRS guitars with blue and purple stains are prone to fading over time, even with minimal light exposure. I'd prefer to keep the purple color as close to as it is now as possible (though maybe I wouldn't mind if the blue burst faded a little). Most people say the proper remedy for fading is to keep it housed in its case at all times when not playing.

However, I find it to be somewhat problematic to keep the guitar in its case all the time for the following reasons:
1. I can't fit it in the case with its strap on. I need the strap to play the guitar comfortably and in a position I like, but it's a major hassle to take the strap off and on all the time, every time I want to play. I find the PRS strap buttons to be especially hard for this, as they seem to be both shallow and wide, which makes it really a total pain to get the strap over the button.
2. Putting the whammy bar on and tightening it, then loosening it and taking it off is an annoyance, too.
3. I don't have lots of surface area to keep a big case out at all times so it's ready to open up and take the guitar out to play.

I'm generally of the opinion that guitars are meant to be played, not babied, so how do I solve this dilemma? I keep all my other guitars out on stands in my basement. There are only a couple of garden-level windows, so it's kinda dim at all times, but it's definitely not pitch black during the day.

Are there any creative solutions people can think of for how to avoid fading, but still keep the guitar playably ready for me at most times? Should I build some sort of standing coffin that blocks out light, but doesn't get in the way of the strap and whammy bar? Any other ideas?
If the strap and bar issues are more important to you than the color protection, then you have your answer. If you are trying to not compromise on either front (which may be a moot point considering the likelihood of fading of blues and purples), a loose gig bag would be indicated. If you also insist on easy accessibility, like your other guitars, I’m guessing some sort of cloth shroud might be the best you can do, short of blacking out all light from the room. But from what I’ve read, anything you do might just prolong the inevitable.

When you change the pickups, you'll know right away if there's already been any fading by looking at the color of the stain under the pickup rings. If you know how the guitar was stored prior to your ownership, that can give you a clue as to what to expect.

Light in the UV spectrum is the main culprit. If you’ve still got fluorescent bulbs, change them out for LED. I work in a school, where we have display cases full of old team photos. The cases were built with fluorescent bulbs. The photos nearest the bulbs have gone from being your run of the mill colors to so badly faded that they look like photos from the 19th century.

Weird, I thought I posted this message yesterday, anyways…

Congrats, sweet guitar!

You want to avoid/minimize UV. I have multiple blue guitars and I used to have them on wall hangers in my prior home. That room had blackout blinds and LED lighting. When I wasn’t in the room, it was kept dark. Zero fading. My current house I can’t control light and temp/humidity as well so they have remained cased.

image.jpg

image.jpg

164-FE635-60-BD-41-FA-8134-C6-A0-BE6-EF3-C1.jpg

Agree with Laszlo:
If you must use a stand, seems to me that simply covering the guitar with cloth that actually blocks light reaching the guitar should work. I guess you could hold the cloth up to light and see if any light comes through.
Drape something over it. Buy a PRS t-shirt and drop it over the head/neck!

My '95 CU22 in Royal Blue has minimal if any fade. It stays on a stand in my downstairs den. It has been to many gigs, including outdoors, but besides that it's back on the stand in the den. Keep it out of prolonged exposure to the sun and you'll be good.

Back