Blue color fade

VicenteMMOS

Hello, everyone!

I've just joined to the forum because I'd like to ask a question. I'm planning on purchasing an S2, but I've seen over the internet that the blue color fade is a real quality concern with PRS guitars. I know this happens more often with blue, green and purple mixes in the paint job, but I was considering purchasing a Whale Blue S2 McCarty 594, which is a darker tone of blue. I wonder if this blue color fading over time happens with that type of color as well, and if I should perhaps steer away from the blue altogether, and buy something like the 'Red Burst' (which was my first option, until I saw just how gorgeous 'Blue Whale' looks). Can you please help me?

Thank you.

Hello, everyone!

I've just joined to the forum because I'd like to ask a question. I'm planning on purchasing an S2, but I've seen over the internet that the blue color fade is a real quality concern with PRS guitars. I know this happens more often with blue, green and purple mixes in the paint job, but I was considering purchasing a Whale Blue S2 McCarty 594, which is a darker tone of blue. I wonder if this blue color fading over time happens with that type of color as well, and if I should perhaps steer away from the blue altogether, and buy something like the 'Red Burst' (which was my first option, until I saw just how gorgeous 'Blue Whale' looks). Can you please help me?

Thank you.
Welcome!
If you keep it in case when you’re not playing, Whale Blue shouldn’t fade.
I have a 24 year old Whale Blue Singlecut with zero fade that has been cared for this way.

I have a 2006 Whale Blue CU24 that is in it's case when it isn't being used. I do let it hang on a wall hanger in my room at times as well but it isn't in direct sunlight when on the hanger. It hasn't faded at all. I have seen some pictures of Whale Blue guitars that have faded so it does happen if you subject them to direct sunlight or high UV light.

Royal blue and Northern Lights are worse for fading from what I have seen. The blue in them is a brighter blue.

I have a DGT in Abalone that hasn't faded at all either. It is kept in the same conditions as my CU24. It is a color that has blue and green in it.

Welcome!

I had a Whale Blue SC250 for the longest time. Like already mentioned, it was in the case a lot. When I would be using it in heavy rotation, I would keep it away from sunlight (my neon Ibanez guitars used to fade WICKED fast in the sunlight) and make sure I turned off the lights in the room when I was done. It never faded, and I was VERY concerned because when I got it there were lots of people complaining about the whale blue fading.

My '06 Whale Blue Cu22 hung on the wall most of the time. It was so dark I wish it would have faded.
I keep thinking I wish my DGT would fade some. It is a beautiful color in the sun but in most lighting it is a bit dark. I left it hanging in my music room for a good while to see if by chance it would fade a little. I even put it on a stand closer to the one window in the room and nothing. I get some pretty intense sunlight here and it didn't do anything to it. I am not willing to put it in the direct light for long periods of time just because I am concerned what other finish issues that could cause.

My '06 Whale Blue Cu22 hung on the wall most of the time. It was so dark I wish it would have faded.

TRUTH!!!! I HATED playing the 250 on stage because it looked black. It's why I gravitated to the brighter colors. I HATE Eriza-Verde, but I had three of them because they looked good in pictures/video with stage lights and smoke....

Oh, wow! Thank you everyone for your inputs! I feel so divided on buying the Whale Blue, but it just looks soooooo gorgeous on the photos and videos I've seen! I think I'll end up buying it anyway =P Red Burst just became my 2nd choice after I saw that Blue Whale... I think I'll just do it, then live with my choice! My head is saying 'dont do it' but my gut is already with its hands on my wallet...

Oh, wow! Thank you everyone for your inputs! I feel so divided on buying the Whale Blue, but it just looks soooooo gorgeous on the photos and videos I've seen! I think I'll end up buying it anyway =P Red Burst just became my 2nd choice after I saw that Blue Whale... I think I'll just do it, then live with my choice! My head is saying 'dont do it' but my gut is already with its hands on my wallet...
Get the colour you like and enjoy it.
As others have said, it won’t fade if you keep it in the case when not playing it. Mine hasn’t changed colour in 15 years.

I have 10 PRSi in the blue-green-purple family, ranging in build year from 2001 to 2023. One has faded (a '12 Studio in faded blue burst). Mine all get treated the same, including hanging out for weeks/months at a time in a room that gets indirect sunlight. Some PRSi fade. Most don't.

Don't sweat it. Buy the color you like the most.

Thank you so much, everyone. These comments are all so helpful. I’ll get the blue whale McCarty then :) that guitar is just so gorgeous, it completely turned me away from the others (when I already thought I had made up my mind)!

Story time: at first, when I came up with the idea of buying a new guitar, I was set down on getting myself a Music Man’s Majesty, John Petrucci's signature. I’ve been a fan of Dream Theater for quite a few years, and I was decided I wanted to buy that guitar. But the price tag on that instrument was just too high for me to feel I wasn't somehow exaggerating on that purchase, going way beyond what I would consider reasonable, given our family's expenses. So, I decided to find other, more affordable options.

That's when it all started for me, the PRS iceberg (or rabbit hole, for those more fantasy inclined). At first, I found the Swamp Ash Special, and thought to myself 'wow, what an excellent guitar for the price point! An excellent 2nd option to the Majesty'! Then, as I always do with everything I like, I started obsessing over it. The guitar specks, the woodwork and wood types, the fretboard, the frets themselves, the tuners, the bridge, the pickups, the neck's dimensions, the finishing coat, the sound and tones, the colors, the markings... I was convinced I was going to get a Swamp Ash up until that point.

Then... I saw a video comparison of the SE product line with the S2 one... and it all started again for me! Once again I was baffled by just how much the S2 seemed to be that much a better instrument when compared to the SE! I was floored... both by just how pristine the S2 sounded, and by how I was cornered to justify to the sergeant (wife) the higher expense. I always feel this sense of guilt when it comes to treating myself with a gift. It doesn't happen often that I do, but when I do, they tend to be quite expensive =)

So, I started looking deeper into the S2 models. As per usual, I was first astounded by the 'regular' S2 Custom model, but then quickly gravitated towards the S2 24-08, due to its versatility, full with split switches. I thought that was the greatest feature for an S2, at least from what one can gather only from a computer screen, and headset. But that was the point in time when I realized just how much I was missing something that I never even touched! I've never played anything more expensive than $500, still, after listening to the sounds these PRS's make, I discovered just how blinded I was by the Music Man Majesty previously! I wasn't downgrading at all... on the contrary! PRS S2's are an underrated step UP from that instrument, while being cheaper!

Of course, nothing lost on the part of Music Man, they are an awesome company, and Majesty is an excellent instrument. But something about the design of the PRS... I just put two pictures side by side, one of the Majesty I wanted to buy, another of a Red Burst S2 24-08... and it clicked for me just how much more subtle, classic, elegant the PRS is in comparison. There's something about them that just escalates them to another level, I can't say exactly what. They truly are classical instruments of the modern day. I've seen $8000 Gibsons before, I've seen highly expensive Fenders hanging on walls of music shops, being a show piece more than anything. I go past them like nothing. Couldn't care less about them. I've never felt so gutural about an instrument as I've now come to feel about PRS. I cannot explain why, but it's so obvious when I look at both instruments side to side, it's funny how obvious, yet difficult to describe it is =D Anyway, that was the time when I made up my mind about the 'Red Burst' color, which in the highest definition videos I found looked amazing. I was sold on it! I had convinced the sergeant, it was done!

Then......... I saw the PRS video demo on a McCarty Blue Whale.......... along with a few YouTube shorts displaying that instrument. Oh my God... the tones that guitar made!! The single coil split in middle position just sounded so perfect, it rendered completely obsolete the piezo technology (in my opinion). I mean, having that kind of acoustic sound quality just from a coil split, why would you ever need an expensive piezo system, with a battery, on a guitar?? I was amazed by it, and to me, that alongside just how wonderful the Blue Whale looked in the McCarty, just took away the crown from the 24-08. I confess I still would like the tuners on that guitar to be locking tuners, but that's just a minor detail, given that it doesn't even use a whammy bar.

I'm just so excited about getting my first PRS now, I just hope I can find one just like I want it. There's no local store with one in stock, but apparently they can order it from PRS itself if I put a downpayment. I'm planning on buying it around Aug-Sept, I probably won't be able to do it before then. I just can't wait to get it! Anyway, thank you everyone for your help, and for reading the post. =) I hope you liked the story.

Back