Looking for a first PRS

kdm1218

Hello PRS forum, I've been searching used SE Custom 22 & 24 models to potentially buy my first PRS. Background, play mostly P&W music for my church but also like to play 70s type classic rock tones as well as Mayer-ish realm bluesy stuff. I've mostly only used guitars with Fender scale length and never could get along with the weight of an LP (I'm a slim female and it's just too heavy).

I am hoping for possible recommendations as well as anything to avoid. Been hunting in the Guitar Center used section off and on for a couple weeks and found a guitar labeled by them as a "CM4TS SE Custom 24," but haven't been able to find anything out about what that means. Also haven't exactly figured out PRS serials (this one is N19022) to try to date this particular guitar. Can't post a link until I have 3 posts here but if anyone is able to chime in on if $429 is a fair price or very overpriced, I would sure appreciate the input.

Oh yes, and I'm looking used cause at least for the next several months until after holidays, budget would be very strictly under $500, maybe stretch to $600 tops. So anything new is out of the question.

Welcome. I've known some women that prefer the SE Custom 22 due to its weight and fit. 429 is an ok price not the best or worst. You'll definitely find something in the sub $500 range. Even a Standard 24 (all mahagony) might be good.

Keep us up to date! The SE is a great line of guitars!

This one? Seems like a fairly standard Custom 24 offering. I did P&W for many years on an SE and wouldn’t turn you away from any of the sub 500 ones on there if you liked the features any particular one offered.

Welcome to the forum! That looks to be a 2013, according to the PRS date chart here: https://support.prsguitars.com/hc/en-us/articles/4408314427547-Year-Identification

Just doing a quick search on Reverb, that appears to be a good price if the guitar is in good shape. As for the SE line, I’ve heard of pro players touring with them so the quality is there. You can always look into an S2 or core instrument when finances are more secure, and I think you’re smart to stay away from debt purchases.

As for weight of instruments, you might also look at the SE Hollowbody II. Very easy on the back, and some have piezo pickups to add another acoustic-esque tone to your arsenal. Normally a shade higher than your budget, but I’ve seen them right at the top of your range on occasion. It’s worth a luck. Good luck!

Last edited:
This one? Seems like a fairly standard Custom 24 offering. I did P&W for many years on an SE and wouldn’t turn you away from any of the sub 500 ones on there if you liked the features any particular one offered.

Yes that’s the one. Some people think natural/bursts are boring but I always tend to gravitate towards those, so that’s a bonus.

Welcome to the forum! That looks to be a 2013, according to the PRS date chart here: https://support.prsguitars.com/hc/en-us/articles/4408314427547-Year-Identification

Just doing a quick search on Reverb, that appears to be a good price if the guitar is in good shape. As for the SE line, I’ve heard of pro players touring with them so the quality is there. You can always look into an S2 or core instrument when finances are more secure, and I think you’re smart to stay away from debt purchases.

As for weight of instruments, you might also look at the SE Hollowbody II. Very easy on the back, and some have piezo pickups to add another acoustic-esque tone to your arsenal. Normally a shade higher than your budget, but I’ve seen them right at the top of your range on occasion. It’s worth a luck. Good luck!
Thank you!

Now that I’ve hit the 3 posts to share links, a couple others I’d like feedback on:

2009 SE Custom 22 - I like this price point and open to offers might even get them lower, but have read a little bit about being cautious with I believe pre 2012 models? I’d also want to ask them for pics of frets at that age.

Semi-hollow SE Custom 22 - I’d have to save a bit more to get to this one once tax and shipping was added on but I like the weight being a semi hollow. According to the date chart linked above, this one looks to be a 2019.

I have used my PRS’ consistently for P&W (Custom 24, Standard 24, HB, etc). I recently got an SE Semi Hollow with a Bigsby that I put new pickups in and I’m really looking forward to playing at church.

I say find the best one that works for you and inspires you to play more and improve.

Best of luck with your search!

I have used my PRS’ consistently for P&W (Custom 24, Standard 24, HB, etc). I recently got an SE Semi Hollow with a Bigsby that I put new pickups in and I’m really looking forward to playing at church.

I say find the best one that works for you and inspires you to play more and improve.

Best of luck with your search!
Well that sounds awesome! What pickups did you put in it, and got any pics? Did you add the Bigsby or it was already on it when you got it?

I put Core Starla pickups in it, they are really cool and unique. It’s a special run that’s Semi Hollow and came with a real Bigsby. Should be fantastic for PDub

9Jq4oRf.jpg

Now that I’ve hit the 3 posts to share links, a couple others I’d like feedback on:

2009 SE Custom 22 - I like this price point and open to offers might even get them lower, but have read a little bit about being cautious with I believe pre 2012 models? I’d also want to ask them for pics of frets at that age.

Semi-hollow SE Custom 22 - I’d have to save a bit more to get to this one once tax and shipping was added on but I like the weight being a semi hollow. According to the date chart linked above, this one looks to be a 2019.
I don’t even consider SE’s made after 2012 anymore. I’d go for the CU22.

My first PRS was the SE custom. 2007 model that got me through middle school, high school, and half of collegiate music school before I got a core custom.

It's the same as the 2009 linked above just grey black instead of sunburst. Incredible value for money.
Does the wide fat neck feel at all like an LP? I’m coming from playing almost only Fender style necks for a long time and couldn’t get along with an LP type neck (or weight).
I don’t even consider SE’s made after 2012 anymore. I’d go for the CU22.
Yeah that’s way over my budget though.

Does the wide fat neck feel at all like an LP? I’m coming from playing almost only Fender style necks for a long time and couldn’t get along with an LP type neck (or weight).

A lot of it depends on the LP.

I have a 2017 Tribute LP that is probably similar in width but the depth is either thinner on the LP or the back is flatter so it feels thinner.

WF is thicker than the 60s taper but much thinner than what you'd find on a 59 RI

The biggest difference will be the string spacing which is slightly wider on the WF than a Fender.

After playing a ton of guitars and owning several with a variety of neck shapes, I almost forget the differences in a few minutes.

Think more like a slimmer 50s Gibson for Wide Fat and for Wide Thin think 60s or Strat. The W/F definitely is not LP baseball bat by any means. It's a very comfortable neck. The W/T is more Fender like and also a comfortable neck. I bounce back and forth between the two frequently.

I also typically prefer the older Korean SE guitars. Watching the tour videos and knowing the process I should prefer Indonesia, but I still seem to favor the Korean SEs.

Last edited:
Yes that’s the one. Some people think natural/bursts are boring but I always tend to gravitate towards those, so that’s a bonus.
I would be cautious with this one. They list the condition as fair, meaning fully functional but showing signs of heavy use.

The nice thing with GC is that if it arrives and you don’t like it or the condition isn’t what you expected, easy returns.

The bad thing is that they do stuff like not include the gig bag and try to charge you extra. Also their setups are often horrible, so expect to do some work.

Back