Best lightweight aftermarket case

Em7

deus ex machina
I purchased a scarlet red CE24 today. I have wanted a scarlet red PRS since the eighties. For some reason, I thought that the color had been phased out. It has been a while since I purchased my last PRS guitar. I was surprised to see that the CE not only does not ship with a case, but also that it ships with the signature gig bag instead of the premium gig bag. There is cost cutting and then there is cost cutting that makes absolutely no sense. This particular cost cut makes no sense.

Anyway, I am looking for a lighter weight alternative to the heavy multi-fit case, preferably something like the injection-molded case that I received with my Chuck Levin’s 60th Anniversary Stratocaster. What are the options?

Last edited:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...bs-molded-case-double-cutaway-electric-guitar

Fits an S2 perfectly but I can't say about a CE.

WIKoWRp.jpg

Me three!

I don’t have a CE but I have several SEs in that case. My only gripe is there’s no covered storage pocket, so can’t open it up while on-end.

(It’s also the more expensive of the two — sales people tend to gravitate to higher priced items) You never hear any complaints about SKB cases. May it serve you well for years to come!

SKB invented the injection-molded guitar case, which is why they have fewer problems. Pretty much every Fender-branded injection-molded case dating back to the nineties is an SKB case.

That being said, it was not the price that deterred me from purchasing a multi-fit case. It was the weight, size, and relative fragility of the exterior. The case may be strong, but the tolex and the leather on the corners are not. I have babied my Mira Korina case, but several corners have tears in the leather after 10 years from rubs. Those rubs are in large part due to the awkwardness of carrying the case (one learns quickly to carry the case body side forward when walking up stairs). I am certain that the awkwardness of carrying the multi-fit case is driving a lot of PRS owners to transport their guitars in gig bags. It is the 21st Century. PRS needs to put serious thought into offering a lightweight injection-molded case and a PRS-branded SKB product is the logical choice. It is not like PRS manufactures the multi-fit case. I am willing to bet that it is a TKL product.

Last edited:
SKB invented the injection-molded guitar case, which is why they have fewer problems. Pretty much every Fender-branded injection-molded case dating back to the nineties is an SKB case.

That being said, it was not the price that deterred me from purchasing a multi-fit case. It was the weight, size, and relative fragility of the exterior. The case may be strong, the tolex and especially the leather on the corners are not. I have babied my Mira Korina case, but several corners have tears in the leather after 10 years from rubs. Those rubs are in large part due to the awkwardness of carrying the case. One learns quickly to carry the case body side forward when walking up stairs. I am certain that the awkwardness of carrying the multi-fit case is driving a lot of PRS owners to transport their guitars in gig bags. It is the 21st Century. PRS needs to put serious that into offering a lightweight injection-molded case and a PRS-branded SKB product is the logical choice. It is not like PRS manufactures the multi-fit case. I am willing to bat that it is a TKL product.
I’m familiar with SKB since my ‘91 Strat Plus Deluxe came with one.

I keep my S2s in Multi-Fit cases and they have to be the heaviest cases in all creation. I do agree PRS should have another light-weight option other than a gig-bag, but I think we are in the minority.

My Multi-Fits have “GWW Quality Cases Made in Costa Rica” labels.

I always liked the SKB cases; even my Martins came in them in the 80s and 90s. The light weight is a huge plus!

The only thing that bugs me about them is the metal valance. I know, it keeps the water out on a rainy day and adds strength to the case, but I've scuffed up more than one guitar on the metal putting them in the case or pulling them out.

Of course, I've also dinged guitars on the latches on traditional cases, too. Because I'm a klutz.

I found an alternative case. Its is not much cheaper than a multi-fit case, but it is almost 10lbs lighter and not anywhere near as bulky.

SKB 1SKB-FS-6 Shaped Standard Electric Guitar Case

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1SKBFS6--skb-1skb-fs-6-shaped-standard-electric-guitar-case

My sales engineer at Sweetwater tried a CE24 in the Gator GC-ELECTRIC-A and the SKB 1SKB-FS-6. The 1SKB-FS-6 offers the best fit of the two.

SKB FTW! Try European sellers, see if they ship to US, it will save you quite a few $$.

There’s another seller if you search, I believe in Germany who is doing an insanely discounted price for your fitted SKB which would save you a lot, if they ship to you.

Worth shopping about.

I have no affiliation to any of the above mentioned, PM me if you need any info.

I’m familiar with SKB since my ‘91 Strat Plus Deluxe came with one.

I keep my S2s in Multi-Fit cases and they have to be the heaviest cases in all creation. I do agree PRS should have another light-weight option other than a gig-bag, but I think we are in the minority...

I agree, too. I love the classic look and feel of the PRS cases, but HATE moving those b@sta@rds around! My PRS are in gig bags for gigs (my Strats still travel in their SKB cases), because...HEAVY! The contoured SC HB II case is better.

Of course, I've also dinged guitars on the latches on traditional cases, too. Because I'm a klutz.

Accidents happen! I remember purchasing new Les Paul Classic in 1993 and having one of the latches crack the finish on the face of headstock while removing it after getting home from the music store. I tried to pull the guitar out without completely opening the case.

Accidents happen! I remember purchasing new Les Paul Classic in 1993 and having one of the latches crack the finish on the face of headstock while removing it after getting home from the music store. I tried to pull the guitar out without completely opening the case.

:confused:

I had a Multi-Fit take a bite into the edge of my S2 Cu24 while stupidly removing the guitar one-handed. Thanks to the weight of lid, the ding is too deep to steam out.

To avoid additional “character marks” I always hold the lid up with one hand while removing a guitar from a Multi-Fit.

(So that’s another reason to get an ABS case.) ;)

I had a Multi-Fit take a bite into the edge of my S2 Cu24 while stupidly removing the guitar one-handed. Thanks to the weight of lid, the ding is too deep to steam out.

To avoid additional “character marks” I always hold the lid up with one hand while removing a guitar from a Multi-Fit.

(So that’s another reason to get an ABS case.) ;)

I've developed very careful habits over the years with the dang cases. I generally prefer the wood ones because I'm allowed keep them in the den instead of the basement studio. Crazy things happen in basements. Then again, the heavy ones are harder to carry up and down the stairs.

I'm so conflicted. o_O

Navigating stairs are what caused me to fall of out love with the multi-fit case. That has been especially true since moving into Annapolis proper. Most of the houses around here have tight steep staircases with treads from a day when the average man was significantly shorter and had smaller feet.

Last edited:
Navigating stairs are what caused me to fall of out love with the multi-fit case. That has been especially true since moving into Annapolis proper. Most of the houses around here have tight steep staircases with treads from a day when the average man was significantly shorter and had smaller feet.

Interestingly enough, my place (built in the '80s) has a very long and steep staircase with relatively small treads because the basement has very tall ceilings; even with a drop ceiling it's got a full 8 foot ceiling height, and if the builder had been willing to do it, the ceiling could have easily been ten feet with a drop ceiling.

Caught the edge of a running shoe on the carpet a few years ago while carrying a guitar in its case, and fell down the stairs. Kind of a long, unpleasant ride! Out of instinct, I shielded the guitar with my body, so I was the only thing that was damaged.

But what the heck, I'm old, the guitar was new. ;)

Back