Before Private Stock Existed

Rockmark

There was once a day when Private Stock was not yet invented. PRS however started in the late 80's to introduce special models and runs that may be considered precursors to the PS division. Siggy's, Artists, then dealer wood libraries, etc. w PS equivalent woods and latest pups. Which models do yo feel warrant inclusion here and what special appointments did they have. Special new pups, braz neck, perni, whatever. What runs would you consider PS quality before PS existed and why? Pics wood be nice here too!:cool:

I got a (1992? ‘93?) Artist II in Teal Black after it was introduced. It was a wonderful guitar, a precursor to the CU22, with a very thin poly finish (I don’t think PRS was offering nitro at the time). The guitar was resonant, looked gorgeous, and certainly was on the level of PS given the time frame.

Yeah I remember the Artists and Dragons being the “unobtanium” models back mid/late-90s. 10-top and birds was a big deal, too. At least in bumfuck virginia where I grew up...

Last edited:
There was once a day when Private Stock was not yet invented. PRS however started in the late 80's to introduce special models and runs that may be considered precursors to the PS division. Siggy's, Artists, then dealer wood libraries, etc. w PS equivalent woods and latest pups. Which models do yo feel warrant inclusion here and what special appointments did they have. Special new pups, braz neck, perni, whatever. What runs would you consider PS quality before PS existed and why? Pics wood be nice here too!

Are you only talking about models pre-PS? I have a number of guitars built from woods which were not (yet) at the factory both pre and post PS.

Wasn’t there a programme called Guitar of the Month or something, which was the precursor of PS?

Oh yeah, great idea, guitar of the month club! Join the club, and each month a new and exciting PRS guitar will show up at your doorstep. Keep the ones you like for 20% off of retail, send the unwanted ones back. The bonus guitar will be automatically sent with the regular order, unless you return the card that says you don't want the bonus. :)

Are you only talking about models pre-PS? I have a number of guitars built from woods which were not (yet) at the factory both pre and post PS.

I was really thinking pre PS but providing own wood is in there for sure. Bonus points actually for "own woods".

I neglected examples in the OP. I still have a '95 10th Anniv., '96 Tree of Life (Rosewood Ltd.), and a '97 Artist IV. These were "top of the line" as far as availability at the time. I bought them new. The appointments on them are etched birds, solid goid birds, gold abalone birds, fancy bound necks, great tops, gold hardware, just the best of everything Paul was experimenting with in the '90's. These appointments would only be found in Private Stock builds today.

Oh yeah, great idea, guitar of the month club! Join the club, and each month a new and exciting PRS guitar will show up at your doorstep. Keep the ones you like for 20% off of retail, send the unwanted ones back. The bonus guitar will be automatically sent with the regular order, unless you return the card that says you don't want the bonus. :)

I like that idea! Like the Columbia record club where you would get 12 albums for a penny! It would be cool though if for like $99 a year they would send you a different PRS model every month to evaluate. You could buy that model or send it on to the next person. Of course if your credit card info would be kept on file so that no one would dare steal one!

Back