bands - ready to scream

I can’t tell if I’m excited or not to start playing with “my” band again.

It’s super convenient, low pressure, but still challenging... but the thing is, the songs are just kinda depressing.

I wish I could just join a The Gap Band cover band or something sometimes.

'Music' and 'business' are mutually incompatible terms. Anyone who can keep their sh!t together as a musician and treat a band in a businesslike way is the rara avis.

The problem with bands composed of people older than college age is that folks have day jobs, often have family responsibilities, they're tired and cranky after work and dealing with their kids, and need an extremely supportive significant other.

There are three solutions:

1. Find the Fountain of Youth, get a time machine, and go back to college (or even high school), where people still have sufficient free time and passion, and aren't tied up with other responsibilities. With luck, the band achieves something approaching financial success. Or,

2. Learn to program MIDI, get a drum machine, and be a One Person Band! Everyone plays the songs you want to play, there's no arguing, you set the practice schedule, and everyone's more than happy to show up for the gig!

3. Find high quality, dependable, session players and pay them for the gigs. Working for free is crazy.

:)

bands (although i prefer ‘groups’ like they said in the late 70s and early 80s — like someone would ask ‘hey is ‘the alarm’ a person, like donovan?’ and you’d be like ‘no, it’s a group’) is why god made multitrack recorders.

I can’t tell if I’m excited or not to start playing with “my” band again.

It’s super convenient, low pressure, but still challenging... but the thing is, the songs are just kinda depressing.

I wish I could just join a The Gap Band cover band or something sometimes.

i played two of your records to my lady a while back and ‘that’s what she said’ — is that henny youngman or something? people say it here A LOT.

anyway, all my records are about big asses and the end of the world so i can relate to depressing. maybe you just need to double track the kick.

'2. Learn to program MIDI, get a drum machine, and be a One Person Band! Everyone plays the songs you want to play, there's no arguing, you set the practice schedule, and everyone's more than happy to show up for the gig!

This is what I do, but with recording, not live performance. Although I've started mixing most of my stuff as backing tracks as well, just to play along with (and with a slight eye to being able to play live in a pinch).

But still, not everyone is happy to show up. Apparently even I don't like me!

i played two of your records to my lady a while back and ‘that’s what she said’ — is that henny youngman or something? people say it here A LOT.

anyway, all my records are about big asses and the end of the world so i can relate to depressing. maybe you just need to double track the kick.

She thinks they’re depressing too?

This is what I do, but with recording, not live performance. Although I've started mixing most of my stuff as backing tracks as well, just to play along with (and with a slight eye to being able to play live in a pinch).

But still, not everyone is happy to show up. Apparently even I don't like me!

Bahaha!

I think that's how the musicians who performed the notes in my orchestral libraries would feel if they ever had the misfortune to hear my work. :)

'Music' and 'business' are mutually incompatible terms. Anyone who can keep their sh!t together as a musician and treat a band in a businesslike way is the rara avis.

The problem with bands composed of people older than college age is that folks have day jobs, often have family responsibilities, they're tired and cranky after work and dealing with their kids, and need an extremely supportive significant other.

There are three solutions:

1. Find the Fountain of Youth, get a time machine, and go back to college (or even high school), where people still have sufficient free time and passion, and aren't tied up with other responsibilities. With luck, the band achieves something approaching financial success. Or,

2. Learn to program MIDI, get a drum machine, and be a One Person Band! Everyone plays the songs you want to play, there's no arguing, you set the practice schedule, and everyone's more than happy to show up for the gig!

3. Find high quality, dependable, session players and pay them for the gigs. Working for free is crazy.

:)

If you aren't gonna act like a professional, I don't really want to be in a band (or group!) with you.

I guess it really depends on your goals...

If you're looking to hang out, have a few laughs, maybe do a few neighborhood parties at the pool every year, maybe do someone's wife's birthday party, then who cares. Or, heck, maybe you and the guys get together once a month and pull out your favorite classic rock tunes... Again, not that big a deal. no pressure, no stress, have fun. Someone in the band is still gonna get pissed that you don't remember what key the song is in or how or it begins or ends, or even which musician begins or ends the song. LOL. But, because it's not a business, then it really isn't that big of a deal and that guy needs to chill the heck out.

In 2018 and 2019, I made more money playing music, than I did in my 40 hour a week, day job. I miss that. I want that back. I kinda need that back, really. So, I need pros around me. I will weed out those who do not approach it like a job. It's not that I don't want to have fun, enjoy the music. But, I can do that and still be a professional. My goal is to work part time as a woodworker and full time as a musician. Well, really, it's to turn woodworking into a hobby and music back into my profession. So, I am actively seeking professional musicians. I approach my band, and my music, like it's the ultimate goal. That requires a good bit of work, effort and attitude.

Neither approach is wrong, nor any of the myriad of degrees in between, and pushing past to each extreme as well. But, it's nice to know your goals and aspirations and recognize what it is you want to do with your music.

If you aren't gonna act like a professional, I don't really want to be in a band (or group!) with you.

If you're looking to hang out, have a few laughs, maybe do a few neighborhood parties at the pool every year, maybe do someone's wife's birthday party, then who cares. Or, heck, maybe you and the guys get together once a month and pull out your favorite classic rock tunes... Again, not that big a deal. no pressure, no stress, have fun. Someone in the band is still gonna get pissed that you don't remember what key the song is in or how or it begins or ends, or even which musician begins or ends the song. LOL. But, because it's not a business, then it really isn't that big of a deal and that guy needs to chill the heck out.

In 2018 and 2019, I made more money playing music, than I did in my 40 hour a week, day job. I miss that. I want that back. I kinda need that back, really. So, I need pros around me. I will weed out those who do not approach it like a job. It's not that I don't want to have fun, enjoy the music. But, I can do that and still be a professional. My goal is to work part time as a woodworker and full time as a musician. Well, really, it's to turn woodworking into a hobby and music back into my profession. So, I am actively seeking professional musicians. I approach my band, and my music, like it's the ultimate goal. That requires a good bit of work, effort and attitude.

Neither approach is wrong, nor any of the myriad of degrees in between, and pushing past to each extreme as well. But, it's nice to know your goals and aspirations and recognize what it is you want to do with your music.

You bet!

I was having a bit of fun with the idea, and poking fun at myself, since I've been full-time in music for 30 years doing mostly advertising scores, but also some documentary film work.

My last band was with a singer/somgwriter I produced a record for. He needed to put a band together, and since I wanted the gigs to sound like the record, we found a fantastic young guitarist to handle the solos (which ironically I played myself on the record), I played keys, and we hired a session bass player and drummer for every gig. We never even had to rehearse. I knew all the songs because of the work on the recording, and the session guys basically just showed up after listening to the record and played everything perfectly.

I had fun with it, and wouldn't accept payment for the gigs, I wanted everyone else to get paid.

John,

There are some really good thoughts in what you say. IMHO, sometimes joining a band is hard work that requires a professional attitude and commitment to a goal. Yet, many times, people who join bands do so only to have fun playing. Maybe that's the reason why it's difficult to keep bands together...some approach joining a band as a time to "play," whereas others consider it "work."

IMHO, a "working" band requires that level of professionalism you speak about. The downside is that not everyone approaches being in a band as "work;" they'd prefer to keep things light and easy-going.

The upside is that a positive attitude towards "work" can go a long way towards maintaining that level of professionalism you seek. Have fun, enjoy your time together, forgive the occasional errors, and strive to attain what you consider to be the level of ability your band should have. If your bandmates struggle to know what key the song is in, or who opens or closes a song, provide them with the charts or paperwork they need to do their job at the level of professionalism you'd like from your band.

My personal feeling is that without having the correct tools to do your job well, the more likely you'll struggle maintaining your band, and at the same time, experience difficulty working with your fellow bandmates. By contrast, being sure that each of your bandmates is equipped correctly before you begin a practice session goes a longer way towards experiencing greater joy as a bandmate. IOW, you'll make the correct decision by equipping your bandmates with the playlists and charts you'll practice with and review each session. Best wishes.

Makes me kinda okay with only playing with myself...no wait...

i-know-there-is-something-bird-meme.jpg

John,

There are some really good thoughts in what you say. IMHO, sometimes joining a band is hard work that requires a professional attitude and commitment to a goal. Yet, many times, people who join bands do so only to have fun playing. Maybe that's the reason why it's difficult to keep bands together...some approach joining a band as a time to "play," whereas others consider it "work."

IMHO, a "working" band requires that level of professionalism you speak about. The downside is that not everyone approaches being in a band as "work;" they'd prefer to keep things light and easy-going.

The upside is that a positive attitude towards "work" can go a long way towards maintaining that level of professionalism you seek. Have fun, enjoy your time together, forgive the occasional errors, and strive to attain what you consider to be the level of ability your band should have. If your bandmates struggle to know what key the song is in, or who opens or closes a song, provide them with the charts or paperwork they need to do their job at the level of professionalism you'd like from your band.

My personal feeling is that without having the correct tools to do your job well, the more likely you'll struggle maintaining your band, and at the same time, experience difficulty working with your fellow bandmates. By contrast, being sure that each of your bandmates is equipped correctly before you begin a practice session goes a longer way towards experiencing greater joy as a bandmate. IOW, you'll make the correct decision by equipping your bandmates with the playlists and charts you'll practice with and review each session. Best wishes.

Ya know, I feel like sometimes I come off like a super hard ass who has no fun at band practice. LOL

But, honestly, that's the last thing I am! I am always cutting up and laughing. I also print out set lists in large fonts, and chord charts when necessary. Just like a company, I want my band to be enjoyable, easy to participate in, etc. I am always printing out set lists, song charts, etc. I look at all of this as part of doing business.

I'm also a serial entrepreneur. I've owned a number of small companies and had employees (who were loyal to a fault because I treated them well). This has given me that knowledge that doing business is not just creating a product, there';s the business of doing business, management, marketing, paperwork... All the stuff few of us really want to do.

But, again, this is kind of the exception to the rule. Most guys, like we've said, just want to have fun. That's fine, but you need to figure out who else wants the same things you want. If you're a 'relax, have fun and get outta the house for a few hours', you need other guys like that. If you're looking at making a decent amount of dough, you gotta treat it like a business.

What's the saying? Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life. For me, music is one of those jobs (But, so is woodworking... LOL waddya gonna do?)

Ya know, I feel like sometimes I come off like a super hard ass who has no fun at band practice. LOL

...Just like a company, I want my band to be enjoyable, easy to participate in, etc. I am always printing out set lists, song charts, etc. I look at all of this as part of doing business.

...This has given me that knowledge that doing business is not just creating a product, there';s the business of doing business, management, marketing, paperwork... All the stuff few of us really want to do.

But, again, this is kind of the exception to the rule. Most guys, like we've said, just want to have fun. That's fine, but you need to figure out who else wants the same things you want. If you're a 'relax, have fun and get outta the house for a few hours', you need other guys like that. If you're looking at making a decent amount of dough, you gotta treat it like a business.

The boldface says it all. Like yourself, I don't mind having some fun while doing your job to the best of your ability, but I kinda shy away from slackers who are on the company pay sheet doing minimal work. My apologies if this sounds, as you say, "hard ass."

My belief is that good work has its own rewards, although others may claim your work for their own, or poke fun at you while trying to distract you. I personally know several of my coworkers who fit this category, and I usually don't interact with them because they screw up a lot and make it harder for the rest of us to do our jobs well. These folks always seem to be exceptionally "busy," but they really aren't working to the best of their ability.

I also know that folks who are continually checking their phones while company policy says, "No phones in use on sales floor," will eventually learn the hard way you can't steal from company time and expect to receive annual pay raises following performance reviews. This isn't me being a hard ass, it's my company's policy that requires this.

*Phew* Forgive the rant, I've thought to say this for some time now.

Anyway, yes, by all means, if your goal is to enjoy some time practicing with the guys or playing a few songs at open-mics with the house band, make that your goal. But if joining a band to make money and achieve a local following is your goal, treat the band like a business with fellow bandmate employees who need to work together for a common purpose.

Back