Artist V - Infos - Specs - Colors - Pictures - Opinions wanted...

Milchschnitte

Hi PRS experts,
I'm trying to find all available info on the Artist V model, but I have not been very successfull.
They aren't even mentioned on the official website and Google didn't provide much info.
I know there were supposed to be 300 of them, so some of them have to turn up someplace and I hope some of you had the chance to try and test them out, maybe even own one of them.
What is the general opinion about these guitars, especially the pickups.
What's the deal with the neck material? Anything special about the Peruvian Mahogany or the ribboned Mahogany back?
What were the available colors etc.

I' m also looking forward to different finish pics etc as I could't really find mans different examples.

I really hope that you PRS enthusiasts can help me out.
Thanks in advance for you opinions and contributions...

Olli

This is taken from a retailers site. I believe it answers a number of your questions. If I am not mistaken there were 100 each of the three colors.

The Artist Series began in 1991. This series experimented with component and structural updates that enhanced the tone of the guitar and brought more decoration with it. The Artist V is the first example of this series in nearly 15 years. The Artist V features new pickups sec’d by Paul Reed Smith, PRS' 2011 redesigned 5-way blade switch (previously featured only on the 2011 Custom 24), beautiful inlays and purfling, and only the best woods. Gold hardware and a selective color list, including three new colors (Blue Crab Blue, Eriza Verde, and Purple Hazel), complete the Artist V’s special offerings.

Pickup Switching Positions:
Position One: Bridge humbucker
Position Two: Bridge humbucker with neck singlecoil, in parallel
Position Three: Bridge and neck humbuckers
Position Four: Neck singlecoil with bridge singlecoil, in parallel
Position Five: Neck humbucker

V12 Finish
The finish should enhance the look, sound, and feel of a guitar by accentuating the wood’s inherent beauty and feel without hindering its natural resonance. And PRS Guitars’ new “V12” finish does just that. Introduced at Experience PRS 2010, V12 is a very thin, hard, and clear finish that will not crack or react with thinners. After roughly 12 years in development, it is halfway between acrylic and nitro but with a classic feel all its own. “PRS models with this new finish feel like old instruments,” said Paul Reed Smith.

Pattern Regular Neck Shape
Neck shapes have always been a high priority for PRS and a hallmark of their quality. A guitar should feel comfortable, like home, as soon as you pick it up, and the neck is paramount to that connection. The new “Pattern Regular” neck shape is similar to the traditional PRS regular neck found on guitars made in the late 80’s at PRS’s former Virginia Avenue location.

This new neck shape reflects modern tooling and programming that allows PRS to even more precisely shape and consistently reproduce their necks.

Features
Body
Top Wood: Artist Grade Flame Maple
Back Wood: Ribboned Mahogany
Finish: V12
Neck
Number of Frets: 22
Scale Length: 25"
Neck Wood: Peruvian Mahogany
Fretboard Wood: Ebony with Mother of Pearl Purfling
Neck Shape: Pattern Regular
Fretboard Inlays: Paua Birds with Mother of Pearl Outlines
Headstock Inlay: Ebony Veneer with Abalone Signature and
Mother of Pearl “Artist V”
Hardware/Electronics
Bridge: PRS Tremolo Tuners: PRS Phase III Tuners
Truss Rod Cover: Ebony
Hardware Type: Gold
Treble Pickup: Artist V
Bass Pickup: Artist V

What is the general opinion about these guitars, especially the pickups.
What's the deal with the neck material? Anything special about the Peruvian Mahogany or the ribboned Mahogany back?

I have one, and can answer a few of the questions.

First, my Artist V is the most "lively" of my PRS guitars. There's a wonderful resonance to it that may indeed be due in part to the Peruvian Mahogany on the neck, and the mahogany chosen for the back is also lightweight and resonant. While the ribboned figure on the back mahogany is beautiful, the figured wood obviously doesn't make it sound better, it's the other qualities that count.

The pickups are bright and articulate, with a vintage vibe like the 57/08s and 59/09s. I think they're a little closer to the 59/09s (at least that's the way they sound on my own guitar). Excellent pickups in any case.

This is a shot of mine in Black Gold with a trem:

DSC_0448.jpg

That is awesome, thanks for the Info guys.

Off course I´m asking for a particular reason:

I´m thinking about pulling the trigger on this one or maybe a Paul´s Guitar in Black Gold but I think the Artist is a little more "exclusive" maybe ????

prsartistvblackgold1781.jpg

prsartistvblackgold1781.jpg

I´m thinking about pulling the trigger on this one or maybe a Paul´s Guitar in Black Gold but I think the Artist is a little more "exclusive" maybe ????

The two guitars are different enough that there isn't as much tone overlap as you might expect. The A-V is based on the Custom 22, and the Paul's Guitar is McCarty thickness. The pickups are going to be very different sounding.

Both guitars are pretty darn interesting, and if there's an exclusivity thing happening, it's a toss-up.

But I'll tell you what: that's the prettiest Artist V I've ever seen. Wow.

That is a gorgeous example, Olli. Too bad it's defective - there's no hole for the whammy bar! :vroam:

As Les said, two different beasts. I actually walked away from the AV I eventually bought because I wanted to make sure that it filled a hole in my gear. It's very light. It's probably the brightest-sounding PRS I have. Very clear sound. You can hear everything on it.

Thank you very much for the infos. I didn´t realize that the Paul´s Guitar was McCarty thickness. That is some valuable information. Clear Sound is what I´m looking for and a light guitar is something I would really like to have again. The Artis V weighs in a 6.9 Pounds. I used to have a CU22 with matching Headstock and 57/08s that I really liked thickness and weight wise. So that´s gonna be the same ballpark I guess.

Could you explain to me the difference between Black Gold Wrap and Black Gold Burst finish, if there is any? I´ve seen different pictures but I think the two of them are often confused with each other......

Thanks again.
Olli

That is a stunning example of a A-V!

Black Gold Wrap means there is no scraped / natural binding, separating the top and sides of the guitar. Most of time (I think) Black Gold Wrap is just called Black Gold. I haven't seen many (OK very few) examples of Black Gold with natural binding except for a beauty Sprayers Choice DGT (search for the Sprayers Choice thread on here, I think I posted some photos of this rare colour).

My advice? Get both!

Personal Taste, but I think the Ebony fretboards and the AV pickups make this guitar the real sleeper, and under rated. The example above is spectacular, so as Les says they are quite different guitars but the AV are super clear in tone to me...

When I got my A-V, I felt it was the slickest guitar I'd ever played, and it immediately became my #1. The ebony board feels fast, and the guitars are light, resonant, with great pickups.

The bling on the inlays isn't too shabby, either!

But I'll also say this: I have a Sig Ltd with the 408 pickups. And it's a totally different, but equally good, instrument. The Paul's Guitar is essentially the same thing with a narrower bridge pickup.

I think in your case I'd get that A-V just because they aren't making any more of them and that one is spectacular, but the Paul's model really could be great if the A-V isn't calling your name.

So, and now here´s to the final decision and the outcome of this thread.

Thank you so much for all your thoughts and advice.......

NGD: Artist V Black Gold

Could not be happier with the guitar especially because to my ear the positions 2 and 5 sound "STRATier" than what I remembered the usual coil tap 57/08s to be.

My first guitar with an ebony board and I think I´ve never played anything nicer.
At first, before I ordered it, I wasn´t quite sure about the color, as I was looking for a somewhat lighter version of black gold with a lighter back (kinda like the Violin), but in reality the guitar does not have that much cherry/red than the pictures might suggest.

I included some pictures for you guys, unfortunately they do not do the guitar justice.

8623525055_575bea5a57_b.jpg

8624627226_d696654347_b.jpg

8623523407_f8ce0e79bb_b.jpg

8624627864_d16db878a3_b.jpg

Thanks for reading,

Olli from Germany

Last edited:
Absolutely beautiful! I hope you love your A-V as much as I love mine. Beautiful to look at, a delight to play, and awesome tones. What more can you ask for from an electric guitar?

Back