Artist V - Infos - Specs - Colors - Pictures - Opinions wanted...

This is a great thread. I am facing a similar decision and am confused. I am looking at an Artist V and an 04 McCarty LTD (the limited run of 500). I have a Paul's guitar and LOVE IT so i want something different but it the same vein. McCarty's to me (I've had 6 or 7 over the years) seem to be hit and miss. Some are amazing and some are ok. The older ones are way better IMHO. The thing I like about the McCarty is the neck. I love the feel of unfinished necks and love the rosewood, but kinda feel like the Artist V would be a more special guitar to have. I mean and ebony fretboard, how cool! lol.

I think the 2 things that have me really stumped here are: 1. I love my Paul's guitar and can't imagine any guitar competing with it for play time. So I want to be tormented a little bit when I open up my closet door to pick a guitar to play!lol and 2. This is it for me for a long time. having this kinda money to buy a guitar is not going to happen for a very long time (need to save for a new house) so I am feeling a bit of pressure to make the best decision I can.

Both guitars are outta state and would have to be shipped into me. I'm leaning Artist V..anybody have any thoughts? suggestions? magic potions? or $3000 I can borrow to buy both??

This is a great thread. I am facing a similar decision and am confused. I am looking at an Artist V and an 04 McCarty LTD (the limited run of 500). I have a Paul's guitar and LOVE IT so i want something different but it the same vein. McCarty's to me (I've had 6 or 7 over the years) seem to be hit and miss. Some are amazing and some are ok. The older ones are way better IMHO. The thing I like about the McCarty is the neck. I love the feel of unfinished necks and love the rosewood, but kinda feel like the Artist V would be a more special guitar to have. I mean and ebony fretboard, how cool!

I'll get the disclaimer out of the way: My Artist V has been my #1 since the second it arrived. I love it. So I'm biased.

The Artist V is different and not in exactly the same vein as the Paul's Guitar, so that part of what you said you want might not match up.

Paul's Guitar is (as I understand it) a McCarty thickness instrument with the 408s and completely different electronics. Paul's guitar has a Pattern neck, the Artist V has a Pattern Regular neck, a CU22 body shape and thickness, and the Artist pickups that to my ear sound like a cross between the 57/08 and 59/09s. The A-V was available either with Trem or Stop tail.

I also have a Sig Ltd with the fatter bridge pickup, but the rest is like the Paul's guitar. I'd rather solo on the Artist V, but would rather play rhythm or arpeggiated parts on the Sig, all things being equal. The A-V is a bright guitar compared to most humbuckers, but is warmer than the 408 equipped models.

About all the guitars have in common (other than both being superb PRSes) is that both have absolutely premium woods (the A-V has a Peruvian mahogany neck, most have light ribbon mahogany backs). Of course, the fingerboards are different, and the inlays are beautiful on both, though different in concept, the A-V being lavished with bling.

I have no problem switching between different neck sizes, and I like the somewhat more vintage vibe of the Artist V's tone quite a lot. If that might bother you, it's something to think about.

The Peruvian mahogany neck is very, very lively, and combined with the sparkly tone of the ebony board, it's an articulate instrument that will highlight your best playing. I hope this helps!!

Last edited:
That's is great info. What is the difference between the Pattern neck and the Pattern Regular neck? Is it just a bit wider at the nut? As far as necks go, I like the wide/fat and the standard necks as well as the DGT neck, but hate the wide thin. So I think the neck would be okay. I also think as far as value the Artist V would hold its value a bit better???

I also think having a smaller body would be okay, I've had CU22's and liked them a lot. But have always loved the McCarty's too, but for a different reason. I think my Paul's guitar is an excellent rhythm machine and like the idea of a slightly brighter shred monster (skills not included)

How is the A V brighter and warmer than the 408 pickups??lol Seems redundant a bit. I do like 57/08's and 57/09's a lot. I started this journey looking at Studios because of the 57/08's. I did have Custom 22 with 59/09's and found it to be a bit hotter than I like even though it was a great sounding guitar. I think a cross between the two would be awesome.

Of course everything I say I would like about the A V I can say about the McCarty. Beautiful top, gold hardware, beautiful inlays, great neck etc..

That's is great info. What is the difference between the Pattern neck and the Pattern Regular neck? Is it just a bit wider at the nut? As far as necks go, I like the wide/fat and the standard necks as well as the DGT neck, but hate the wide thin. So I think the neck would be okay. I also think as far as value the Artist V would hold its value a bit better???<<

The Pattern Regular is like the old Regular, a bit less wide than the Pattern. Don't know a thing about holding value, however. Not my department. ;)

How is the A V brighter and warmer than the 408 pickups??lol Seems redundant a bit. I do like 57/08's and 57/09's a lot.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. The A-V is bright for a standard humbucker, but not as bright as the 408. So in comparison, it feels warmer and more "buttery" than the 408 (to me, YMMV and all that).

I've had some great McCartys, but the A-V is a really special instrument.

Thanks again. I really do appreciate all the info. I am always concerned about value when I spend that much just because of my GAS, but I will say is..with Paul's guitar, my GAS has cleared up considerably!

The pickups sound perfect and so does the neck. Gonna call and get that puppy tomorrow.

Thanks again..INCOMING!!!

Looks I am little late to this party, but FWIW I totally agree with Les on all things A-V. It has been my No. 1 since I bought it and continues to amaze with its tone, versatility and shear playability across a variety of situations and gear set ups.

I keep trying to find a PRS to blow me away in the manner that my AV has, and while I have many PRSi that I love....the AV still reigns supreme. It's one of the few guitars I've found where each pickup combo is really useful and excellent. The shimmering sounds of position 2 are extremely impressive....definitely something with lightweight mahogany and ebony fretboard combo that just makes notes bloom and sing.

I'm hoping a limited edition or 408 equipped guitar can find its way into the fold and compliment my AV - I need something else during gigs and sessions that doesn't just make me pine for the AV!

Last edited:
Very nice guitar!

FWIW, I have Paul's Guitar and 408MT with Brazzy neck, although the pickup are very similar, however, the sound are quite different. It has got to do with the neck, my 408 is much warmer, more "buttery" than my Paul's Guitar. Both sound great in their own way though, and I love them both! They compliment each other nicely in my opinion.

Hey all,, I am thinking about jumping on an A-V.. those of you who have one, do you still Love it????

Hey all,, I am thinking about jumping on an A-V.. those of you who have one, do you still Love it????

Three years down the road, still my #1. I worship it. :top:

Seriously, I've really loved and enjoyed all my PRSes, but this is the only one I'd never sell.

Oh yeah, and my acoustic. I'd never sell that either.

Last edited:
Three years down the road, still my #1. I worship it. :top:

Seriously, I've really loved and enjoyed all my PRSes, but this is the only one I'd never sell.

Oh yeah, and my acoustic. I'd never sell that either.

thanks for the note... I am asking because I am being offered an A-V for my P22 Trem AP..

thanks for the note... I am asking because I am being offered an A-V for my P22 Trem AP..

Can you play them side by side in order to decide?

Sometimes 'new and different' is a lot of fun, and then you miss what you had in the first place.

I always have a problem recommending a guitar model, because every single guitar sounds a bit different from the rest.

Maybe all the Artist Vs are the greatest ever. Maybe I just got a great one. Who knows? I've played exactly one of them.

My Stripped 58 was a case in point; I stupidly sold it, and couldn't find another one I liked as much. So I have a hard time saying, "Sell that and get this." Because ya just never know when it comes to an individual guitar.

If you had to choose between an Artist V and a Ted McCarty SC245 10 top, which would it be?

It'd be whichever one spoke to me more.

There's no "best." Each guitar is different.

Where is the damn "LIKE" button???

Like_1.jpg

Back