Are you a gigging musician? What Guitar do you trust?

PRSWILL

I thought this would be an interesting question. Personally, I've been gigging and doing studio work since 1989 in Seattle, Minneapolis and Los angeles. While it's not my "job" now, it was and relying on an axe was super important to me. My "go to" guitar- like the house is burning, what are you taking- is my old PRS Custom 22 I got in 1997- Flame top in some sort of orange, Dragon PUPs, Wide thin neck ( and my Taylor 810 CE- another story) but that thing has been the ROCK SOLID foundation for great tone, solid intonation and keeps delivering gig after gig, and on a LOT of tracks out there. I have other guitars that are worth 3X + this guy, but when the house is coming down that's the guitar that comes with me. How about you guys?

My Johnny Hiland, my 509, my DC 3, my S2 custom 24, my Eg3, my SAS, my S2 Studio, my SE Hollowbody piezo........screw it, I’m going to die in a house fire if I don’t get all my guitars out.............. the Hiland is the first one out the door for a gig.

Last edited:
Well my modded Vela is my gigging guitar, does everything I need, it’s twin humbuckers with coil splits, and it rocks, best instrument I have ever played and my first PRS. I would grab that in one hand and one of the kids in the other......

Predominantly, it’s been Mr. Clean - THE DGT Standard. Number two has rotated between the RL Vela, CU24, SE245, Catalpa Cabronita, or Les Paul Deluxe. They’ve all seen tons of action and none of them have let me down. Well, except the Les Paul’s stereotypical intonation float...which took decades to tame.

The "trust" part was more the question than the fire. My C22 goes to almost every gig. We do all Classic rock and there's a ton of solo work and whammy bar stuff and the C22 NEVER goes out of tune, unlike my Les Paul's ( As stated by someone else)- I retune with those about every 3 songs- Usually it's the C22 and either a strat or LP that goes to gigs- when we were gigging that is.

I would grab my 1986 cu24 but I would go back in to retrieve as many as I can.

All my other guitars aren't that valuable but I've sorted through a few to get the ones I have so they fit me in some way or another.

My cu24 has excellent tone......will another one just like it feel or sound the same??????

Two of my CEs fit like a glove so I wouldn't want to risk starting over there either.
McCarty????? It fits too

Looks like I'm headed for the burn unit!

I just used my McCarty Trem 2020 on an ad project that I posted in the 'Studio and Stage' section. But honestly, I use all of my PRS Guitars exlusively in my work. I don't own any other brands of guitar. My main squeeze for ad parts is the 20th PS Anniversary model, simply because it's SO versatile, but I love this 2020 McCarty.

The McCarty SC still is my #1 for personal recording stuff, but I rarely get that kind of creative room.

I'm mad for PRS Guitars - and amps. That's been the case for a very long time.

Paul Smith products have saved my butt a BUNCH of times

My guitar chops depend on PRS' tone chops. Simple as that.

When I gigged for my job, I was a Tele slinger. That's partly because I'm in Nashville though.

If it's a house on fire situation, the Whitfill Tele and my custom 24 are going out the door with me. I'd make my wife bring the McCarty.
Priorities!!!!!!

I have to say that I trust my Strat the most. I’ve played over a hundred shows with that guitar and have never broken a string!

My ssh, custom 24, 594, and 408. They do roughly 90% of any paid work that I do...whether it be in the band, or as a commercial entity. They are necessary for my style of playing, and recording, as are my pedalboard and amps. It’s all a package deal. The only non-PRS guitar I use is a custom Strat style guitar I built almost 20 years ago. It was built for me by a former Valley Arts luthier, from the ground up..that one I still use from time to time.

Back