are the McCarty 594 hollowbody II neck heavy?

darylcrisp

seriously looking at buying one of these and most i've found are between 5 lb 8 oz and slightly over 6 lb. never held one of these, but knowing they are hollow body and the weight reduction is coming from the body, i have to wonder if they are neck heavy in use-either standing or sitting?

any owners out there who can verify for me i would appreciate highly.

thank you
d

thank you Doug.
i have to order and ship this in as there are no PRS dealers within many hours-and none of those have a Hollowbody II in stock. appreciate your reply highly.

d

My McCarty 594 HBII (stained maple neck) is my daily guitar and I don't find it heavy in any way other than incredible tone! I have a pair of CU24's (one core, one PS) as well, and the HBII gets played way more because of it's lightness!! At 5.6 lbs, it is a full 2 lbs lighter than my CU24's!!! Old man love for lighter gitfiddle!!!!

mine has a rosewood neck and sitting with it on lap with no strap is noticeable but not a problem.

Thanks for all the replies folks.
I've found a few colors I like, most are in the 5 lb 8oz to 6 lb weights. Most of these are 10 tops, so the hefty price tag-I have worked some cost reductions but still in the upper 5's.

I really like the solid satin colors I've seen a few prs in lately, I think that would look really good and be pleasing to my eyes.

I did find a solid gloss black with the exposed edges top and back so it looks like vintage Ivoroid binding, it has my attention. Plus it's in the mid 4's. Brand new 2021 model. It is 6 lb 13 oz, not the lightest, but in the grand scheme of things not a heavyweight either. I'm deciding on it. Black isn't a color I'm usually drawn too, but it's not bad, kinda growing on me, has a vibe going on. If it was satin black I would have already jumped on it.

It's the only solid color I've found so far.
I'll try to link some pictures later.
IMG_4503_500x.jpg
IMG_4512_500x.jpg

IMG_4516_500x.jpg

IMG_4513_500x.jpg

Last edited:
Neither of my Hollow bodies are neck heavy and they are both around the 5.5lb mark

I have a 2019 McCarty 594 HBii
vTZuoJh.jpg

and a 2018 Hollowbody ii with a 1-piece top and back
UzQSZTB.jpg

And BOTH are perfectly balanced when sat or on a strap and standing.

As for solid colours, they do tend to be less common but I'm sure you'll find one that works for you...

They are very balanced, and light weight to boot. Mine is a 2021 model, and I play it pretty much every day. If you keep an eye on Reverb, you can fine some nice ones in the upper $3Ks from time to time.

Did you buy the guitar?

I’m new to the PRS Hollowbody world, but I recently bought an SE Hollowbody Piezo to save me from having to carry an extra acoustic to certain gigs. I love that SE HB guitar, but it is definitely a little neck heavy. There is one song, on one gig where we all clap along with the singer and the crowd. The SE HB is the first guitar I’ve owned where the neck definitely dives a little. It’s not really exaggerated, but noticeable. I’ve changed to a different leather strap to see if that keeps it better anchored on my shoulder in future.

Hey John
thanks for the reply. i did buy the black one. i was looking at a couple others but kept coming back to the black-i'm typically not a black guitar buyer, but i wanted a solid color in this model and the black one was the only one i found. plus the front and rear natural body edges make it stand out pretty nice, along with the white tuner buttons and fretboard binding. and, it was around $1300-1500 cheaper vs the flamed colors.

the shop listed the weight as 6 lb 13 oz, so thats around a pound or slightly more than most of the other ones i found available, but thats still not a heavy weight and i thought the added weight might make it balance a little more even. i have 14 days to return it if it doesn't pan out. if the tone is there, i'm pretty sure it will be a keeper. supposed to arrive monday.

i like the satin finishes also but only found two for sale at sweetwater. they had maple necks, while looking really nice-i hesitated due to thinking that might throw a brighter tone quality and i don't want that either(so mahogany neck was preferred). and both of these were crazy expensive-even with my discount. i do like that satin red though, looks really nice.

and just by hearing the color satin cobalt blue, i wouldn't think i would go for that, but goodness, thats a really cool looking hollowbody and i wouldn't have a problem owning that i don't think-lol

it would be hard for me to pick between these two. my thoughts are if the black one arrives and it doesn't do it for me, i might....might if my discount is enough, consider one of these.

Last edited:
Did you buy the guitar?

I’m new to the PRS Hollowbody world, but I recently bought an SE Hollowbody Piezo to save me from having to carry an extra acoustic to certain gigs. I love that SE HB guitar, but it is definitely a little neck heavy. There is one song, on one gig where we all clap along with the singer and the crowd. The SE HB is the first guitar I’ve owned where the neck definitely dives a little. It’s not really exaggerated, but noticeable. I’ve changed to a different leather strap to see if that keeps it better anchored on my shoulder in future.
I use suede straps, and they're almost like velco in how they just stay put on my shoulder. Neck dip just doesn't happen anymore, no matter the guitar

Last edited:
Hey John
thanks for the reply. i did buy the black one. i was looking at a couple others but kept coming back to the black-i'm typically not a black guitar buyer, but i wanted a solid color in this model and the black one was the only one i found. plus the front and rear natural body edges make it stand out pretty nice, along with the white tuner buttons and fretboard binding. and, it was around $1300-1500 cheaper vs the flamed colors.

the shop listed the weight as 6 lb 13 oz, so thats around a pound or slightly more than most of the other ones i found available, but thats still not a heavy weight and i thought the added weight might make it balance a little more even. i have 14 days to return it if it doesn't pan out. if the tone is there, i'm pretty sure it will be a keeper. supposed to arrive monday.

i like the satin finishes also but only found two for sale at sweetwater. they had maple necks, while looking really nice-i hesitated due to thinking that might throw a brighter tone quality and i don't want that either(so mahogany neck was preferred). and both of these were crazy expensive-even with my discount. i do like that satin red though, looks really nice.

and just by hearing the color satin cobalt blue, i wouldn't think i would go for that, but goodness, thats a really cool looking hollowbody and i wouldn't have a problem owning that i don't think-lol

it would be hard for me to pick between these two. my thoughts are if the black one arrives and it doesn't do it for me, i might....might if my discount is enough, consider one of these.

Hi there. Everyone has their own taste of course, but I think the black one you’ve ordered is the best looking guitar out of all the ones you've posted. And by a long shot imo. (Hopefully) HNGD.

it arrived safe today at 930am, unfortunately i had to wait until 3am to check it out.

it looks 10x better in person than the shop photos i posted above. the black with natural edges really gives it a vintage vibe.

sounds great, plays great. i need to do a little setup on a few things to dial in everything where i like it in a day or two.

i'll try to get some better pictures and post in the next couple days.

oh, soon as i picked it up it felt really lightweight. played it and it balances perfect. i thought "there is no way this is 6 lb 13 oz as was advertised. put it on my digital scale and 5.4 lbs.

i dig the case it came in as well. like to find one of these to buy for the 594 semi hollow i picked up lately-it fits perfect in the case as well.

thanks to everybody that replied and gave me info

d

Back