Archon questions and/or issues

My experiences with the noisy hissy loop:
* Yes, it adds hiss when engaged (tried with different devices)
* But, the hiss will not be louder at higher volume, so at home it is very noticable, at the rehearsal not so much, the amp has indeed pretty low noise in standby (in comparison to other hi gain amps)
* The position of the cables/pedals has influence on the hiss. At home I connected a DD-5 with short cables and put it on the top of the amp on the left side. A lot of hiss. When I put the pedal on the top on the right side, less hiss. When I put the pedal beside the amp (i.e. on the Cab) much less hiss.

At the moment I have a another problem. I noticed that by vibration (e.g. drummer plays or I tip on the top of the head) I can hear a crackling through the speakers. I hope, that is only a tube issue, need to test it on the weekend.

Great tips! Thanks a lot.
I would probably try my loop with boxes on top of my amp otherwise :)
Also really good to know that the hiss isn't expanding with volume.

Regarding your crackling noises , it really sounds like a tube issue. And I really hope so. But since almost every amp manufacturer recommends carefully knocking on tubes to check if they're alright I'm guessing that's what it is :)

My pedals are physically located on the pedal board on the floor.
Signal chain is :
Guitar>>>Polytune 2>> decimator>>>amp input
Loop= Send>>>MXR stereo chorus>>>TC Flashback>>>Return

I'm using the PRS stock Chanel foots witch with loop control. Using Orange PPc212C cab and clean power source via conditioning. I've replaced all of the lighting in the home with led lighting. (CFL bulbs are fluorescent and create noise)

The amp makes the noise with nothing in the loop and guitar only into front input. I turn the loop off with FS and fine.

If I get time today, I'll mic it and toss up a vid for ref.

My pedals are physically located on the pedal board on the floor.
Signal chain is :
Guitar>>>Polytune 2>> decimator>>>amp input
Loop= Send>>>MXR stereo chorus>>>TC Flashback>>>Return

I'm using the PRS stock Chanel foots witch with loop control. Using Orange PPc212C cab and clean power source via conditioning. I've replaced all of the lighting in the home with led lighting. (CFL bulbs are fluorescent and create noise)

The amp makes the noise with nothing in the loop and guitar only into front input. I turn the loop off with FS and fine.

If I get time today, I'll mic it and toss up a vid for ref.

Awesome! I´m going to our practise place tomorrow to try some new tubes, the loop and just crank it thru my Diezel 4x12 :cool:

I'm running an Empress Buffer+ in my effects loop with much less noise...this also gives a bonus boost switch for solos on the lead channel!

I'm running an Empress Buffer+ in my effects loop with much less noise...this also gives a bonus boost switch for solos on the lead channel!

That sounds interesting!
Never heard of the Empress, I´m gonna have to check that out. Especially since the Archon is missing a dedicated second master volume, that would be a great solution if I could get a quiet loop AND a solo channel in the same box :)

Regarding your crackling noises , it really sounds like a tube issue. And I really hope so. But since almost every amp manufacturer recommends carefully knocking on tubes to check if they're alright I'm guessing that's what it is :)

I changed all tubes (preamp + power amp) and it did not help :-(

I changed all tubes (preamp + power amp) and it did not help :-(
I'm sorry to hear that :-/
The other thing worth checking are the I/O's. Have you tried the twist and turn maneuver on the cab and guitar input/output?

I'm sorry to hear that :-/
The other thing worth checking are the I/O's. Have you tried the twist and turn maneuver on the cab and guitar input/output?
Yes, I tried the amp with different cabs and cables (also the cable in both speaker inputs), the issue is there without guitar plugged in too.
I noticed when I use a wooden/plastic pencil to check the tubes, it crackles almost every time when I touch any of the tubes the tubes (preamp and power amp), I do not need really to knock on them. Sort of leak current, perhaps, I do not know.

Hmm...now we´ve narrowed it down a little at least =)
Is it still under warranty?
If no, it sounds like your right about some sort of leak since it´s crackling on all tubes.
A good amp tech or electrical engineer would be able to answer this pretty fast.

I hate it when stuff like that isn't working properly, it´s like jibberish for a normal person when trying to locate and fix the problem :-/

Yes, amp is pretty new, I bought it new in October 2015 (and it was repaired once already, I had crackling issue all the time before :-(, now "only" at vibrations), I hope PRS and my vendor will find the fast solution for me, I need the amp ...

Edit: PRS found a solution for me, very satisfied :)

Last edited:
Then you should definitively send to PRS.
Since it´s still under warranty you shouldn't need to worry about things like this.
Sucks to be without, but sucks even harder when new stuff isn't working properly.

All archons produced In November 2014 and later have the effects loop fix already. If you call PRD they can tell you when yours was made. Mine came with the effects loop fix. Of course if you are still concerned you could always hunt down a plum one to make sure you get a later model! It was odd that I bought mine in 2016 that was made in November 2014.

All archons produced In November 2014 and later have the effects loop fix already. If you call PRD they can tell you when yours was made. Mine came with the effects loop fix. Of course if you are still concerned you could always hunt down a plum one to make sure you get a later model! It was odd that I bought mine in 2016 that was made in November 2014.
I bought mine just two weeks ago, but it came with the tag from PRS still on, I remember it said 2014 something. I´ll have to check that out.
I tried the cable-trick this weekend, just a cable from send to return in the loop, and when I switched the loop on I didn't hear any added noise.
So it might be fixed already. But I´m gonna look in to this, thanks! :)

The loop on my archon is a little noisier than my roadster...in fact the entire amp seems a little noisier but I can attest some of that to my homes power, as I have no power conditioner. Either way it's a small price to pay for how good the amp sounds!

The loop on my archon is a little noisier than my roadster...in fact the entire amp seems a little noisier but I can attest some of that to my homes power, as I have no power conditioner. Either way it's a small price to pay for how good the amp sounds!
Yeah, as I wrote earlier, I didn't really notice any difference when I turned the loop on (although this was without pedals, cable only) so it hasn't affected my thoughts on the amp.
But YES, this amp sounds amazing so the loop isn't a deal breaker. Not even close actually. :D

In case you are interested, I bought a brand new 100w Archon head a little while back and immediately proceeded to change the 6L6's for some factory matched Mullard EL34's. I didn't replace the little tubes as someone told me that only the big tubes (ie 6L6 or EL34) affect the tone of the amp.

At the time, I was very disappointed at the lack of technical information provided in the so called "manual" that could be downloaded so I contacted the PTC to ask about the bias specs that I would need for the EL34's. Here is the reply that I received...

"We recommend a bias setting of 30mV, you can go + or - 5mV to your taste. The bias adjustment is the little flat head inside the jack above the contact points."

I installed the new tubes and proceeded to adjust the bias. I did not take any bias readings before I removed the Ruby's that it came with, but upon checking the bias once I had installed the Mullard's the measurement was very low (something like the high teens I think) and so I raised it up so that no individual tube went above 30. What I don't know is if this bias value is for any tubes you put in it or if it is just for the EL34's I put in it. I also don't know if the low reading would have been the same for the original tubes or not. Moot point because I'm not reinstalling the Ruby 6L6's because I sold them on CL.

In case you are interested, I bought a brand new 100w Archon head a little while back and immediately proceeded to change the 6L6's for some factory matched Mullard EL34's. I didn't replace the little tubes as someone told me that only the big tubes (ie 6L6 or EL34) affect the tone of the amp.

At the time, I was very disappointed at the lack of technical information provided in the so called "manual" that could be downloaded so I contacted the PTC to ask about the bias specs that I would need for the EL34's. Here is the reply that I received...

"We recommend a bias setting of 30mV, you can go + or - 5mV to your taste. The bias adjustment is the little flat head inside the jack above the contact points."

I installed the new tubes and proceeded to adjust the bias. I did not take any bias readings before I removed the Ruby's that it came with, but upon checking the bias once I had installed the Mullard's the measurement was very low (something like the high teens I think) and so I raised it up so that no individual tube went above 30. What I don't know is if this bias value is for any tubes you put in it or if it is just for the EL34's I put in it. I also don't know if the low reading would have been the same for the original tubes or not. Moot point because I'm not reinstalling the Ruby 6L6's because I sold them on CL.
I think the low bias value is because you switched from 6L6 to EL34 tubes. I tried EL34 tubes in my 2 Channel H and saw similar values. If you ever switch back to 6L6 tubes, I'm sure you'll have to adjust the bias by a similar amount again.

I think the low bias value is because you switched from 6L6 to EL34 tubes. I tried EL34 tubes in my 2 Channel H and saw similar values. If you ever switch back to 6L6 tubes, I'm sure you'll have to adjust the bias by a similar amount again.

If I were to do that, I wonder if would need to contact the PTC again to see what the 6L6's in that particular amp or whether all 6L6's should be set to the same exact voltage regardless of what amp they go into. This sounds like a question for Les.

Great tips! Thanks a lot.
I would probably try my loop with boxes on top of my amp otherwise :)
Also really good to know that the hiss isn't expanding with volume.

Pedals on top the amp can cause a humming issue.
Not uncommon to see a crazy jump when switching tube types.

Back