Archon questions and/or issues

whatamada

Hey guys!
New to the forum both I've been playing PRS guitars since 2004.
But, this Friday I bought myself an Archon 100.
Man, it sounds great. It even made me sell my Diezel :O

BUT, I have some questions and thoughts.
1) I'm considering retubing the amp, both power and pre-amp section.
What tubes are recommended for the pre-amp?
2) Is there a how-to-guide for biasing?
3) I'm having some weird noises coming out of my cab when I'm turning the depth knob. An issue or normal ? An easy fix to it?

I think that's all for now :)

Hope to hear from you guys!

All the best,

whatamada

BUT, I have some questions and thoughts.
1) I'm considering retubing the amp, both power and pre-amp section.
What tubes are recommended for the pre-amp?

I have no answer on most of your questions, since I don't have an Archon, but I do have some ideas about re-tubing.

For preamp tubes, I'd go NOS, for a variety of reasons, but whatever you decide, get them from a place that will test for low noise and microphonics. You'll be a lot happier in the long run even if you have to pay an extra couple bucks per tube for this service.

If you like the tone of the JJ preamp tubes that I believe that PRS still puts in their amps (that's what they put in my HXDA), you might consider the new Telefunken-branded tubes. They are made by JJ, hand picked for low noise and microphonics, and are kind of the "pick of the litter" for the brand.

No, they're not original, true NOS Telefunkens; a US company bought the name (and they make very fine high end microphones by the way), but at least you're getting something better than average for a hell of a lot less money than a decent NOS tube.

As for the output tubes, again, I'd choose NOS over what's available with the possible exception of true Winged C EL34s that were at least as of last year, original PRS equipment on the PRS high end amps. Winged Cs are no longer in production, are now considered "NOS" and are getting harder to find. Beware that some vendors are actually carrying factory seconds that were dumped on the market when production stopped, so you have to find real-deal ones.

One well-kept secret is that back in the day, Mesa got their premium EL34s from the German company Siemens. Some of these made late in production may be the East German versions, but they're very good tubes, and I think Mesa still has some NOS matched pairs on their website for a very reasonable price. And because they're Mesa, the 90 day guarantee actually means something - you're not dealing with a fly by night vendor, or some random dood on eBay.

LSchefman, thanks for the tips!
I'm very curious about these new Telefunkens. I've always liked the JJ's both for tonal reasons and for their lasting quality.
Can you share anything about how they differ from the regular JJ pre's?

LSchefman, thanks for the tips!
I'm very curious about these new Telefunkens. I've always liked the JJ's both for tonal reasons and for their lasting quality.
Can you share anything about how they differ from the regular JJ pre's?

Nothing, other than they're individually selected from the usual JJ production run, branded with the Telefunken logo, and are supposed to be tested to a higher standard. They're also cryogenically treated. Whether the cryo treatment makes any difference at all, I can't say.

http://www.telefunken-elektroakustik.com/products/tubes/

Their USA built microphones I can tell you are very much the real deal, as good as anything that was made back in the day. So I think maybe these guys know what they're doing, besides merely fleecing suckers like me. ;)

Nothing, other than they're individually selected from the usual JJ production run, branded with the Telefunken logo, and are supposed to be tested to a higher standard. They're also cryogenically treated. Whether the cryo treatment makes any difference at all, I can't say.

http://www.telefunken-elektroakustik.com/products/tubes/

Their USA built microphones I can tell you are very much the real deal, as good as anything that was made back in the day. So I think maybe these guys know what they're doing, besides merely fleecing suckers like me. ;)

That sounds really interesting I must say.
But if I´m reading you correctly there are two brands basically competing over the same brand, NOS Telefunken from the US and the JJ branden Telefunkens....right? :D
Damn, searching for new tubes is a real jungle...I always get more or less lost o_O

That sounds really interesting I must say.
But if I´m reading you correctly there are two brands basically competing over the same brand, NOS Telefunken from the US and the JJ branden Telefunkens....right? :D
Damn, searching for new tubes is a real jungle...I always get more or less lost o_O

No, the NOS Telefunkens were made in Germany until production ceased, probably before 1980. The new JJ-made ones are imported by an American company that bought the rights to use the name Telefunken.

NOS means "new, old stock," in other words, new tubes that are unused and still around from the old days when they were still being made in Europe, the USA, etc. The great ones are very rare and expensive. I just recently shelled out several hundred bucks for one late 60s NOS Mullard 12AX7 with the correct British manufacturing date codes, for example, and similar amounts for some NOS BRIMARs, another British tube from the same era.

NOS tubes last for decades as long as the seals remain intact, although the BRIMARs are a little less consistent than the Mullards, and they're a bit cheaper.

The JJ-made Telefunkens are simply re-branded JJs, just hand-picked and cryo-treated. The US company using the name had absolutely nothing to do with Telefunken, which was the German national radio company.

Original Telefunken-brand microphones were actually made by Neumann and AKG for radio use, by the way. The old ones are highly sought after and can go for five figures if in good shape. The new Telefunken brand mics are copies of the old ones, and are actually fantastic microphones, but they're also very expensive! The top models go for 6-7 grand. But back to tubes...

Today's Tung-Sols, Mullards and a few other "old names" are simply re-branded Russian tubes, to give the buyer the idea that they're getting something as good as the old stuff. If it doesn't say NOS on a tube site, you're getting new tubes. If it says "Made in Russia" on the box, you're not getting NOS tubes. The originals were made in the US (Tung-Sol), Britain (Mullard, BRIMAR and some Philips because by the 50s Philips had bought Mullard), Germany (Telefunken and Siemens), or Holland (Philips or Bugle Boy). By the 70s, some US-branded tubes were also being made by Philips, BRIMAR and Mullard, but by that I mean the old companies, not the new names for Russian made tubes.

There's nothing terribly wrong with today's Russian tubes, by the way. And there are some decent Chinese tubes, too. But...

The new ones aren't as good as the old stuff; the tolerances on the old machines that made tubes were tighter, because the machines were 30-40 years newer; the manufacturers' employees knew more about what they were doing (don't underestimate the specialized knowledge the old guys had), etc. So the "real" NOS tubes that were used in everything from radios to TVs to medical equipment to jet aircraft, were made to very strict tolerances compared to today's tubes, where the market is basically limited to guitar amps and hi fi rigs.

The Czechs, the Russians and other Eastern Bloc countries bought the old machines from the West when tube production stopped in Western Europe and the US. That was 36 years ago. That's a long time for a manufacturing machine to operate, and of course, those machines had already been in operation for many years.

There's mythology that the Russians and Americans are still using tube technology in jet fighter aircraft because of nuclear pulses being able to take out transistors, and a long time ago that was the case, but today's fighters are so dependent on computer technology for flight control that it's no longer that way. Jets aren't running on tubes any more. ;)

Last edited:
Just played around with my Archon 100 knobs....as far as 3) goes...when I sweep the knob to the extreme ranges of it, I get a faint "woosh" sound, almost like air is being blown into a mic. However it stops when I quit turning. Is that what yours is doing?

Just played around with my Archon 100 knobs....as far as 3) goes...when I sweep the knob to the extreme ranges of it, I get a faint "woosh" sound, almost like air is being blown into a mic. However it stops when I quit turning. Is that what yours is doing?

That´s exactly the same experience I get with mine. So I guess when can rule that as "normal" =)
It´s not a big issue since it doesn't affect when I'm playing, I was just curious and needed to know if mine was a bad run.

No, the NOS Telefunkens were made in Germany until production ceased, probably before 1980. The new JJ-made ones are imported by an American company that bought the rights to use the name Telefunken.

NOS means "new, old stock," in other words, new tubes that are unused and still around from the old days when they were still being made in Europe, the USA, etc. The great ones are very rare and expensive. I just recently shelled out several hundred bucks for one late 60s NOS Mullard 12AX7 with the correct British manufacturing date codes, for example, and similar amounts for some NOS BRIMARs, another British tube from the same era.

There's mythology that the Russians and Americans are still using tube technology in jet fighter aircraft because of nuclear pulses being able to take out transistors, and a long time ago that was the case, but today's fighters are so dependent on computer technology for flight control that it's no longer that way. Jets aren't running on tubes any more. ;)

Ok, I´m up to speed now :D
Thanks alot for the information, I always find trying to figure out the "source" of the tube can be really confusing, so thanks again for taking the time :)

Since I'm on the right side of the pond for buying JJ's (proud swede here) I guess I'm going for the cryo once.
They are not all that expensive compared to JJ´s standard run.
I´m still deciding amongst power tubes, but I´m leaning towards JJ's there as well, I´ve always had them in my Diezel's and the quality has always been top notch.
I'm psyched to retube my Archon because I freakin' love it!!! :D

Ok, I´m up to speed now :D
Thanks alot for the information, I always find trying to figure out the "source" of the tube can be really confusing, so thanks again for taking the time :)

Since I'm on the right side of the pond for buying JJ's (proud swede here) I guess I'm going for the cryo once.
They are not all that expensive compared to JJ´s standard run.
I´m still deciding amongst power tubes, but I´m leaning towards JJ's there as well, I´ve always had them in my Diezel's and the quality has always been top notch.
I'm psyched to retube my Archon because I freakin' love it!!! :D

Nice!

I've tried a few preamp tubes in mine. I've put a new production Tung Sol 12ax7 in V1 before. A new Mullard 12ax7 in V2. I've thrown in some EHX 12ax7's in randomly as well. I haven't found anything jump out at me that sounded way better or worse. I generally don't like JJ preamp tubes much at all, but they sound good in this amp. I think I want to try moving that Tung Sol to V4 to see what that does to the clean channel. I should get back to playing around with this in the next couple weeks. I just recently put Ruby EL34BSTR tubes in the power section and really like that. I've only played at talking to loud yelling volume so far, not my band volume which is around 10:00. I think I like the 34's in there better for lower volumes. Those particular ones have some 6L6 characteristics as far as EL34's go. I felt like it opened up the mids a little bit. We'll see as time goes on.

I've tried a few preamp tubes in mine. I've put a new production Tung Sol 12ax7 in V1 before. A new Mullard 12ax7 in V2. I've thrown in some EHX 12ax7's in randomly as well. I haven't found anything jump out at me that sounded way better or worse. I generally don't like JJ preamp tubes much at all, but they sound good in this amp. I think I want to try moving that Tung Sol to V4 to see what that does to the clean channel. I should get back to playing around with this in the next couple weeks. I just recently put Ruby EL34BSTR tubes in the power section and really like that. I've only played at talking to loud yelling volume so far, not my band volume which is around 10:00. I think I like the 34's in there better for lower volumes. Those particular ones have some 6L6 characteristics as far as EL34's go. I felt like it opened up the mids a little bit. We'll see as time goes on.

Alright! I've only tried different pre-amp tubes in my Mesas and Diezels, and I found JJ's superior in those, but they have a very different treble, which I felt needed some tampering.
But I'll definitely buy some different tubes to try I V1 and V2 :)

Please share a little bit more in the change since you switched to EL34's, I'm really curious. I've always preferred 34's before 6L6's, but then again, this amp sound awesome as is :)

Alright! I've only tried different pre-amp tubes in my Mesas and Diezels, and I found JJ's superior in those, but they have a very different treble, which I felt needed some tampering.
But I'll definitely buy some different tubes to try I V1 and V2 :)

Please share a little bit more in the change since you switched to EL34's, I'm really curious. I've always preferred 34's before 6L6's, but then again, this amp sound awesome as is :)
That could be what it is. I always felt the JJ's rolled off the top end a bit in my Bad Cats. In a Diezel or Mesa, I can see them working well since the EQ is very "active"(sorry, mind blanking on the word I really want). The Bad Cat hot cat EQ controls are so dependent on where the others are set, I always felt I was fiddling and compromising something when I had JJ's in.

Will do. I was the same. Been EL34 guy for a long time. I like the 6L6 in the Archon too. My band rig, I use a VHT 2/50/2 power amp on one side, so I have 6L6 on one side and EL34 on the other. That makes a bit of a difference too.

That could be what it is. I always felt the JJ's rolled off the top end a bit in my Bad Cats. In a Diezel or Mesa, I can see them working well since the EQ is very "active"(sorry, mind blanking on the word I really want). The Bad Cat hot cat EQ controls are so dependent on where the others are set, I always felt I was fiddling and compromising something when I had JJ's in.

Will do. I was the same. Been EL34 guy for a long time. I like the 6L6 in the Archon too. My band rig, I use a VHT 2/50/2 power amp on one side, so I have 6L6 on one side and EL34 on the other. That makes a bit of a difference too.

I totally get reference with the word "active" with the Mesa.
The JJ's really pulled the amp together.
Speaking of preamp, do you know what the layout is of all preamp tubes? What position does what?

Sounds like a great match then.
The other guitarist in our band uses a Mark V, also loaded with 6L6's, so a swap might help with the struggle of same frequencies :)

I just did some research about the Tung Sol.
Looking at the description and details it sounds like a very nice tube.
Is there anything you can share on how it affects the dirty channel?
Looking forward to hear your thoughts on the clean channel as well :)

I changed my Ruby power tubes to JJ's (matched 4x set). Changed V1(input) and v2 (gain 1) to Tung-Sol gold tipped.
Problem is... I paired this head with a new Orange PPC212 when I got it so... Them v30's take time to break-in. Lol. Hard to compare tone when your speakers are changing their voicing every time you play. Can't compare stock tubes to replaced as far as sound.

My issue is with the noisy hissy loop.
I guess I need to do the patch cable trick and see if my sound degrades or gets better. May have to send this thing in.
Sad. I love this amp. It's the favorite in my fort.

I changed my Ruby power tubes to JJ's (matched 4x set). Changed V1(input) and v2 (gain 1) to Tung-Sol gold tipped.
Problem is... I paired this head with a new Orange PPC212 when I got it so... Them v30's take time to break-in. Lol. Hard to compare tone when your speakers are changing their voicing every time you play. Can't compare stock tubes to replaced as far as sound.

I guess I need to do the patch cable trick and see if my sound degrades or gets better. May have to send this thing in.
Sad. I love this amp. It's the favorite in my fort.

Yeah, I get that. Hard to compare in that situation ;)
Have you tried to change the preamp tube running the loop? What kind of effects are you running in your loop?
I´ve read a lot of posts about the loop, and I´m a bit torn. On one hand, you should expect a quality loop on an amp of this quality.
On the other hand, I´ve read that the "mod" that you can do will just decrease the "gain" in the loop which might cause your effects to drop in volume, so they have to be boosted (very short summary of a long post)
I haven't tried mine yet, but come this weekend :cool:

My experiences with the noisy hissy loop:
* Yes, it adds hiss when engaged (tried with different devices)
* But, the hiss will not be louder at higher volume, so at home it is very noticable, at the rehearsal not so much, the amp has indeed pretty low noise in standby (in comparison to other hi gain amps)
* The position of the cables/pedals has influence on the hiss. At home I connected a DD-5 with short cables and put it on the top of the amp on the left side. A lot of hiss. When I put the pedal on the top on the right side, less hiss. When I put the pedal beside the amp (i.e. on the Cab) much less hiss.

At the moment I have a another problem. I noticed that by vibration (e.g. drummer plays or I tip on the top of the head) I can hear a crackling through the speakers. I hope, that is only a tube issue, need to test it on the weekend.

Back