Archon Owner looking for a second amp

Lyric

I own an Archhon 100 and I love the amp but I’m considering a second amp to change things up a bit. I’m considering a Orange Rockerverb MKiii to accompany my Archon 100. My question is if these amps are different enough in sound and everything to warrant owning both. I know these are both high gain amps but I’m thinking the Orange might give me that Orange fizzy sound while the Archon is just bliss. Thoughts?

Well, if you already know the Orange sound AND want it, then that's all you need to know, right? If you wanted something different (not high gain, or other TYPE of tone), then there are other great amps out there, but if you want that Orange thing, the Rockerverb is IT.

Well, if you already know the Orange sound AND want it, then that's all you need to know, right? If you wanted something different (not high gain, or other TYPE of tone), then there are other great amps out there, but if you want that Orange thing, the Rockerverb is IT.

While I appreciate your reply and thank you, I don’t think its what I was asking for in my question.

Do I like the sound of the Orange Rockerverb MKiii? Yes but my question was simply is there enough difference in sounds and character of these two amps to warrant owning both or not?

Yes both are and can be high gain which I have no problem with because I play a lot of clean and high gain both. But these two amps are two different beast here correct? I mean a Corvette and a Porsche are both sports cars but totally the opposite of each other and what they are designed for.

While I appreciate your reply and thank you, I don’t think its what I was asking for in my question.
Apologies. So, if you know both sounds, only you can decide if they are different enough to warrant owning both. When I compare two amps, I ask the same question. Sometimes, something about them is close, but maybe not everything. Example, the Custom 50 and Archon. Gain channels are similar IMHO, with the Archon having more gain, but the C50 having plenty. But the mid shift and other features the C50 has, may make it worth having for many people. The clean channels however, are different. And that too, may be enough difference for some people to own both. But, if you prefer the clean channel of one over the other and don't need massive gain, then you may only really need one of them.

I don't know the Orange amps clean channel enough to comment on how different it may be from the Archon. But the gain channel is the Orange sound and if you want THAT sound, then it's worth having both amps. If you want a Marshall gain channel, then something else might be better suited as your second amp, If you want Mesa... well Mark or Recto might be the "other amp" you want. It's hard to answer this question without knowing more of what tones you're seeking most, and what kind of stuff you're playing. So the best honest answer I could give you is that it depends on what tones mean the most to you. Orange amps are enough of "there own thing" that you should be able to make this decision, if you know how much you want that tone. But, it's not just "do I need two high gain amps" that would decide this. It's the tones of those amps.

Apologies. So, if you know both sounds, only you can decide if they are different enough to warrant owning both. When I compare two amps, I ask the same question. Sometimes, something about them is close, but maybe not everything. Example, the Custom 50 and Archon. Gain channels are similar IMHO, with the Archon having more gain, but the C50 having plenty. But the mid shift and other features the C50 has, may make it worth having for many people. The clean channels however, are different. And that too, may be enough difference for some people to own both. But, if you prefer the clean channel of one over the other and don't need massive gain, then you may only really need one of them.

I don't know the Orange amps clean channel enough to comment on how different it may be from the Archon. But the gain channel is the Orange sound and if you want THAT sound, then it's worth having both amps. If you want a Marshall gain channel, then something else might be better suited as your second amp, If you want Mesa... well Mark or Recto might be the "other amp" you want. It's hard to answer this question without knowing more of what tones you're seeking most, and what kind of stuff you're playing. So the best honest answer I could give you is that it depends on what tones mean the most to you. Orange amps are enough of "there own thing" that you should be able to make this decision, if you know how much you want that tone. But, it's not just "do I need two high gain amps" that would decide this. It's the tones of those amps.

Thank you and no apologies needed lol. You’ve always been great and one of the most helpful here and much appreciated.

I will say that my question is a little difficult to answer but just curious to ideas or thoughts. Definitely something I need to think over and figure out lol. Orange does have a distinct sound for sure. The Archon is unique and sometimes gives me a slight impression of a friends Bogner and of course saying that angers him for some odd reason lol.

Thank you and no apologies needed lol. You’ve always been great and one of the most helpful here and much appreciated.

I will say that my question is a little difficult to answer but just curious to ideas or thoughts. Definitely something I need to think over and figure out lol. Orange does have a distinct sound for sure. The Archon is unique and sometimes gives me a slight impression of a friends Bogner and of course saying that angers him for some odd reason lol.
Yes, the Orange OD channel is it's own thing so I hesitate to make blanket recommendations for it, but if you want that thing, the Rockerverb is a great amp. And the Archon can be dialed pretty close to some type of Bogner tones. The Ecstacy and variants have a low mid focused modified Marshall type tone, as opposed to the Marshall type amps that are high mid focused. The Archon is low mid focused as well. You can dial that Bogner thing pretty well with the Archon. So, dial it in and annoy your friend boy repeatedly saying "I love that this Archon NAILS that classic Bogner tone." :D

Kemper. Get ‘em all.

The OP was asking about two specific tube amps, not Kempers.

Do they give out a drug when one buys one of these gizmos that makes Kemper people hijack tube amp threads over and over again?

Maybe when the transistors warm up they give off noxious fumes that befuddle people's hearing. I dunno.

Kemper is a nice, but compromised, tone source. It is not all the amps, It is none of the amps.

It is, of course, not an evil device, it's just a different type of device, and as a result it has a characteristic sound. Equating it with a real tube amp is folly. Is it 'good enough' for lots of people? Sure, and there's nothing wrong with living with the compromise. But that doesn't make it the same thing.

Last edited:
I did not get any drugs when I bought my Atomic AmpliFire, but it’s only 1/3 the price of the Kemper, so maybe skipping the drugs is part of the cost savings.
No wonder I've never seen you make the claim that it's equal to owning all the tube amps, then! :)

Hey, I've owned hardware modelers, and still own most of the better software modelers. There's nothing wrong with modelers for doing whatever one wants with them.

It's simply a stretch to claim they're the same/equivalent thing.

Nor are most reissues equivalent to the original amps. A new AC30 is a nice amp. But try as the might, they can't seem to be able to capture the magic of a '63 AC30. Same with Fender reissues, etc. This doesn't make these reissues worse. Just different.

Last edited:
Back