Anyone know what type of Mahogany is used on the current SE line?

davesultra

I’ve noticed on the SE range the back of the necks and bodies seem quite white. Are they using White Mahogany on these or some other variation?

Whatever wood is priced accordingly in bulk at the time has always been my assumption on an entry level import guitar.

It's not the same like the s2 pulling from the supply that cores are built. Some se I've seen the wood looks completely different, but then it could be wood just being wood. Still wouldn't be the same level of supply expectation as I'd have with the next tiers.

Also, of note many se are now maple necks unlike the past when they were hog. I saw a natural back se the other day that you could clearly see the laminate pieces with a handful of strips that were all a very different shade. If it had been centered it would have looked like a racing stripe custom job.

Last edited:
Whatever wood is priced accordingly in bulk at the time has always been my assumption on an entry level import guitar.

It's not the same like the s2 pulling from the supply that cores are built. Some se I've seen the wood looks completely different, but then it could be wood just being wood. Still wouldn't be the same level of supply expectation as I'd have with the next tiers.

Also, of note many se are now maple necks unlike the past when they were hog. I saw a natural back se the other day that you could clearly see the laminate pieces with a handful of strips that were all a very different shade. If it had been centered it would have looked like a racing stripe custom job.
I’ve noticed that many of the multi-piece backs aren’t matched very well. Not that I would expect them to be on the budget line. I’ve noticed on the website they still claim Mahogany necks & backs on the SE 594 models. It’s always seemed to me that Mahogany would be a bit darker. So I wonder what species of “Hog” they use that would be so light colored?

I’ve noticed that many of the multi-piece backs aren’t matched very well. Not that I would expect them to be on the budget line. I’ve noticed on the website they still claim Mahogany necks & backs on the SE 594 models. It’s always seemed to me that Mahogany would be a bit darker. So I wonder what species of “Hog” they use that would be so light colored?
I agree. The hog is lighter for sure. Look in the cavaties and its more apparent. I read an article a while back that in general explained some reasons why. I can't recall the specifics, but my paraphrased memory recalls it's more of a mash up and species of wood that is technically in the mahogany tree but not what we'd historically consider mahogany.

I'm a big fan of natural backs, and there's been a few se I've passed on because of the matching. I look at it and say to myself the same, I don't expect it to match on se, but honestly would prefer it to be finished a color if not matched.

Last edited:
Last edited:
After looking at that link, I suspect Meranti as well. Especially as it is considered in the “Mahogany”.
I'd agree too. It makes sense with the stark shade variations I've seen as well. Also the way I've seen some guitars splinter from damage. I saw one the other day, and was sorta head scratching looking at it. Just didn't look right. This discussion and links makes more sense of it. Appreciate you posting.

african-mahogany.jpg

Screenshot-20240408-192431-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20240408-192410-Chrome.jpg

20240408-191237.jpg

20240408-191343.jpg

The matching on newer SE is shameful. There I said it. It’s getting very hard to find a properly matched back with a nice flamed front.
Some people will never care. It’s the back of a budget model. For others it’s a non starter. I fall in the latter. The majority of the Korean SE’s had impeccable matching on the back. Look at any of the older Zach myers compared to the modern. It’s night and day.
I think PRS should make the backs more opaque colors to limit the obvious seams or at least make the natural backs a darker shade (like amber red) that can better cover the mismatching. I’m of the mindset that they should offer a lot more opaque finishes in the SE line and forgo the veneers. It’s worked wonders for fender for many many years.

I'd be more inclined to think it's a species native to Asia with a plentiful supply and reduced transportation costs.
I can see your reasoning...
Just going off the image search and it's primary uses, meranti just doesn't seem like a good fit, to me.
Not like they're getting maple sourced regionally.

I agree. Even beyond what I typically think about with matching. There this..

1000040215b8d9aa232aa3949a.jpg

How many grain patterns and shades? 4? More like a "hog" wood mash up. At least this one was almost centered which is more than I could say for another..

That example doesn't bother me in the least bit. Looks like a typical laminated neck through. Off centered though would bug living **** out of me.

Last edited:
I might be the odd man out in this one, but I suspect that different mahogany is being used on SE and S2 lines. I’m not even going to venture a guess as to whether it’s different species, or just different grades or quality, but where the rubber hits the road is this: every SE and S2 I’ve laid hands on in the past few years has been on the lighter side, weight wise. For example, my core 594 is in the mid 8’s, as are many that I’ve played or seen weights of online, and the day I shot out a bunch of S2 594’s, I didn’t have a scale on me, but I’d say they were all in the low 7’s very consistently (and I took one home, definitely a difference). More than just the difference in maple cap thickness would account for.

FWIW, I like ‘em heavy.

Feel free to run wild with that.

That example does bother me in the least bit. Looks like a typical laminated neck through. Off centered though would bug living **** out of me.
It doesn't bother me too much, close enough to centered to work. That's why I took a pic. Kinda cool. I posted it to show the different grain patterns for more of a "hog" mash up. They get what they get on bulk freight of the week. That's how costs are kept down. We'd like to think when guitar manufacturer lists mahogany its what we think of in a traditional sense. The reality is different. PRS isn't the only ones doing this by any means.

The matching on newer SE is shameful. There I said it. It’s getting very hard to find a properly matched back with a nice flamed front.
Some people will never care. It’s the back of a budget model. For others it’s a non starter. I fall in the latter. The majority of the Korean SE’s had impeccable matching on the back. Look at any of the older Zach myers compared to the modern. It’s night and day.
I think PRS should make the backs more opaque colors to limit the obvious seams or at least make the natural backs a darker shade (like amber red) that can better cover the mismatching. I’m of the mindset that they should offer a lot more opaque finishes in the SE line and forgo the veneers. It’s worked wonders for fender for many many years.

Used to be, you had to look pretty hard to see the seams on an SE back. My flat top CU22 SE (one of the OG SE’s), you literally couldn’t see it looking at the back, only at the end, strap pin area.

Now, whether it’s proper for an entry level guitar to have a really nicely uniform back, I’m not going to cast an opinion, I’m just saying that’s how it used to be.

Back