Anyone discover PRS through the superstrat world???

Russ73

I used to strictly play HSS strats and Charvels but when I discovered PRS...specifically the more affordable S2....it was no looking back
..with a PRS you can look right on stage playing country to metal...

I’ve only played a few Charvels. The ones I’ve played were really good. A few weeks ago I played a Japanese Guthrie Govan signature Charvel. I really liked the way it looked, sounded, and played. It was my favorite guitar in the store until I played the PRS studio that was there. The studio is kind of like an HSS guitar except the neck and middle pickups are near-field and are technically humbuckers. You might like this guitar if you like HSS tones.

I was strictly a super strat/tele kind of guy until fairly recently; mostly Warmoth builds.
I don't know what prompted me, but I've been GASing hard outside my comfort zone since October. The SE Custom 24 in my avatar is the first factory guitar I have owned in 20 years.

I had a Jackson for a time; and then decided to go with a Les Paul; Strat type guitars never seem to work for me.

It was when I was shopping for the LP in 1991 that I found my first PRS. So I guess in an oblique way I wound up with a PRS because of the Superstrat I didn't love.

Not sure if that answers the question, but it's what happened.

I exclusively played Jackson/Charvel from 1997 until 2017, when I switched to PRS. I had a few Custom Shop Soloists, but I mostly played PC1 models that I'd mod by removing the sustainer systems, and replacing all the pots with 250k CTS.

The stock Dimarzio pickups would be replaced with a Duncan Custom/Custom and an SSL5. The middle pickups were replaced with an unwired cheapo single to fill the hole. The 5 way was swapped with a 3 way.

In reality, I still have a few PRS guitars, but I ordered a new Jackson the other day. I'm pretty excited. I've grown bored with the direction PRS is going. I feel that there is a lack of innovation for players like me. I love the guitars, but I'm going to start trying other stuff again.

I bought my first PRS SE yesterday after struggling to cope with Les Paul. I tried three times; failed every single time. Can't stand the weight & difficulty reaching higher frets. Can't wait to try Mccarty.
You too huh?
I made several attempts at it myself and gave up for a long time.
When I bought my SE Custom 24, I was so impressed with the Indonesian craftsmanship, I thought I'd give an ESP/LTD EC-256 a try. It is much more to my liking. It comes in at 6lb14oz. I do kind of wish I had splurged on a EC-1000 now, for the higher fret access.
Next one for me will be a SE McCarty 594 SC.

Last edited:
When I was looking for my HSS, I looked at Suhr, Xotic, and some others. Found Suhr to be on the heavier side and didn’t love the SS frets for whatever reason. I didn’t love the Xotic T-Style I had owned for a few months but traded away. I already had a Silver Sky that I really liked and when the Fiore came out I was interested. I was pretty excited by what I heard/saw online so I ordered one, sub 7 lbs. I wouldn’t call it 100% super Strat, but it’s got similar DNA. That was over 2 years ago and I still have the Fiore, which is saying something because if I don’t REALLY like a guitar, it’s gone within a few months.

Yup. Jackson King V Mustaine, BC Rich Gunslinger, numerous Ibanez and ESP guitars.
Right now I’m dealing with a midlife guitar crisis with incredible gas for an official-non-official Hetfield Jackson King V KVTMG that replicates his old “Kill Bon Jovi” guitar.:p:D

Lots of similar stories here, used better Ibanez (JPM100, putrucci, RG2570) models and A charvel model 6 and 750xl. Great guitars, however in college I was already interested in PRS (00s), of course unobtainable here. When I started my real job, I gave myself the cheapest second hand USA PRS I could find (92 CE24) and have not looked back. Tried some real good strats to complement them, all of them left, my PRSi stayed.

Last edited:
In terms of superstrat I owned in 1995 a Rockinger Rudvog prototype. Shaped like an Ibanez RG it was my first 'expensive' guitar.
But I didn't select it because of liking the superstrat epoche, I do not like these spandex wearing musicians as much. I 'grew' musically up with Grunge (Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Temple of the Dog) and Pantera.
I like its unique design.
dscn9965-jpg.543042

After purchasing my first 513 in 2011, I bought an Ibanez RG 570. I wanted a FR tailed axe. But we didn't make friendship. I let it go via ebay in 2021. For filling the lack of a double locking vibrato guitar I crossed paths with a Peavey HP2 NOS.

I had a Jackson for a time, then decided to go (back) to an S-Type; plus, Les Paul-type guitars never seem to work for me ;)
As my grandfather used to say, that's what makes horse racing!

I suspect that LPs and other Gibsons worked for me back in the day because I learned on a Gibson, and that became 'home' until I got my first PRS.

First time poster here. I've played primarily jacksons and charvels since the late 80's, and still have a japanese dinky and a japanese charvel 3dr, which is one of the first dinky variants i believe. I dont know why i stayed away from prs over the years, but bought a custom22 trem about 6 months ago, and it became my favorite guitar instantly. now i have a custom24 with a floyd on the way.... i was warned by a friend that they multiply......

First time poster here. I've played primarily jacksons and charvels since the late 80's, and still have a japanese dinky and a japanese charvel 3dr, which is one of the first dinky variants i believe. I dont know why i stayed away from prs over the years, but bought a custom22 trem about 6 months ago, and it became my favorite guitar instantly. now i have a custom24 with a floyd on the way.... i was warned by a friend that they multiply......
Your friend is correct

Back