Any of you guys playing PRS acoustics as well??

Russ73

Thinking of going with a PRS acoustic...any good? any of you guys like em? if so which model??

I've got the SE Angelus Custom. Love it. The neck is more like an electric than an acoustic but if you come from the electric world, it will feel like home.

Yep - SE Angelus Custom, A10e and Lifeson. The Angelus compares well to my Larrivee, which is my favorite acoustic. The Lifeson lacks the bottom end of the other two.

Tonare Grand, maple, Adirondack spruce, ebony.

Sounds better than it looks. To hear a Maryland-made PRS acoustic in action in a very accurate, excellent, solo recording, take a listen to Tony McManus' "Mysterious Boundaries." You can go to iTunes and hear snippets of it.

McManus is a PRS acoustic player.

Last edited:
i`m an arch top player, but I have an Alex Lifeson SE for the odd gig that would need it. Sounds good when amplified.

I picked up a used 2010 Tonare Grande a few months ago. I had to sell my Gibson acoustic and an old Fender Champ but it was worth it. There really is no comparison with the SE models even though they are fine guitars. The Tonare is warm and balanced no matter what you play. Not a harsh note strumming or playing single note lines. I've noticed my fingers don't get sore like in other acoustics because the setup is so good. The SE Mahogany backed PRS is a good guitar especially plugged in. It has a cheaper feel to it but it's great for the price. If I was playing out or taking it somewhere I would bring the SE because it's such a good player and I don't have to worry about it getting dinged. The Tonare Grande is just a high end guitar with no compromises. The look with the Cocobolo back and sides Ebony tuners, the richness of the tone and the feel of the neck and body binding make you feel like you are playing a grand piano.

Well, sometimes I play my guitars unplugged...:p

Edit: Yes, I know - that is a bad joke. Will go back to lurking now...

I've got the SE Angelus Custom. I never play it. I keep it around for when a solar flare finally knocks out the power grid and the world descends into darkness forever and my electrics become firewood.

-True story!-

I've got the SE Angelus Custom. I never play it. I keep it around for when a solar flare finally knocks out the power grid and the world descends into darkness forever and my electrics become firewood.

-True story!-
Sounds like a good movie. And were it to occur it would make a dark world for a few days. But the power would come back on.

Still I agree that an acoustic is a good fall back position. Besides, ladies love it around a campfire.

I have an SE Angelus Custom (roughly equivalent to the A30). Great sounding guitar - the rosewood body really provides nice bottom-end with clean highs. Not the loudest, especially for single-note lead work, so if you want to do some of that look to the hog-bodied A20 or non-Custom Angelus.

I want a "core" PRS acoustic, but the prices are far too high to justify (especially since they are all truly PS now) - they need models in a price range comparable to the non-10-top core electrics and maybe as low as the S2 line to attract my attention. And they had offered "core" non-PS acoustics, but customers kept taking everything up the line to PS, from what I understand. But I'm not their core market, so I understand.

Tonare Grande, Mahogany Top, Back, Sides and Neck...

395692613.jpg

395692616.jpg

395692615.jpg

At this time I have 5 different PS, each one with a kind of construction, in terms of wood combination and body size.
These are not cheap, but in terms of world class acoustic guitars, these are a bargain.

I have a Lifeson that plays beautifully. Running it through an FRFR speake ror PA works great for me and the thinline design naturally inhibits feedback. Unplugged, I prefer a Breedlove Voice Concert that I currently own. Still, the Lifeson gets some playing time in the living room.

I tried and failed to accept a PRS acoustic into my collection.

Basically, I own an acoustic in case I need one. I bought it new, it was on sale and was just under $400.00. It is a dreadnought brand x guitar and very affordable. I was prepared to spend up to $1000.00 for an acoustic guitar. No PRS guitars in stock but I played everything and picked the one which had the best tone, crisp highs and big sounding lows, very loud, very clear, looked great. For me it was easily the best sounding acoustic instrument they had available and it just so happened to be one hell of a bargain. A couple of years later, again, I wanted to buy a PRS acoustic guitar. I went to a better PRS dealer that had a great selection of PRS acoustic guitars in my price range. I found one that I liked, but just to be sure, I went home and got the brand x guitar. In my mind, the PRS had to beat that brand x guitar in a blind taste test. I played both. My brand x guitar crushed the all Rosewood PRS SE acoustic in the blind taste test when I alternated playing them back to back. I was surprised! My only speculation as to why my affordable brand x acoustic guitar sounded better than the PRS SE acoustic was because I suppose the super thick & heavy gloss coat on the PRS was strangling the life out of the guitar. My cheap brand x guitar barely has any finish on it at all and sounds so much more lively. So, I still have the $400.00 brand x acoustic guitar because it is currently undefeated.

Back