Any good free amp sims out there?

PRSfanboy46

Don't lick doorknobs and stay in school
Hey y'all, I am getting a Scarlett Focusrite solo 3 tomorrow in the mail and I am wondering what good amp sims are there out there that are free? I downloaded Ryan "fluff" bruce's amp sim from amped roots with his IR's and amps and I also have garageband which I have worked with before. Recommendations?

Not so much amp sims as there are cab and rig sims. The HeadRush Community Forum offers free downloadable presets. It's likely that Fractal, Helix, Kemper and other modelers offer free presets from their community forum websites as well.

Caveat Emptor: Neither the forum nor HeadRush assumes responsibility for whatever you download. All presets are intended to be uploaded in good faith, however, neither the forum nor community assumes responsibility for downloaded malware or viruses.

Most reliable cabinet IR downloads are paid-for downloads. Some more generous with their mic positioning and speaker variety than others.

Doc McFarland from his YT channel offers a wide range of IR downloads from the Sonic DNA website for various devices, and at a reasonable price. Other websites (Ownhammer, RedWirez, Choptones, York, 3Sigma) offer better quality IRs with less variety, with a slightly higher pricetag.

I dont know of a free one. I don’t do a lot of recording but if and when I do I usually mic my amp and go into the focusrite. With that said I did have an amp modeler plugin on my old computer that I tried to use to record in my DAW but there was too much lag after the signal was processed and returned to the headphones that I gave up in that. But if your not recording and just playing, the app worked well enough outside of the DAW. I think it was guitar rig. (It’s not free however)

On a side note, I don’t have a Mac but I did buy one of these to allow me to connect the scarlet solo to my iPad to use w garage band it it works well. - https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?afid=p238|sVm3FfWIE-dm_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_246386975448_pgrid_46609751021_&cid=aos-us-kwgo-pla-btb--slid---product-MK0W2AM/A

I believe all Focusrite products come with bundled software. The plugin collective is a rotating menu of great free software, one of which is the lite version of Positive Grid's Bias FX (LE). It has one or two amp sims on it that are solid.

I believe all Focusrite products come with bundled software. The plugin collective is a rotating menu of great free software, one of which is the lite version of Positive Grid's Bias FX (LE). It has one or two amp sims on it that are solid.

Correct. Each new Focusrite product has promo codes supplied that will enable you to download free software from the respective webpages. Be advised that some codes provide only lite versions of larger applications, that also contain in-app ads.

I think I picked up a couple free plug-ins for my DAW whose compatibility expires in several years. When the next incarnation of my computer mainframe software occurs, the apps will either need to be updated or will be uninstalled.

Meanwhile, I've found that the Waves website offers quality plug-ins that can be downloaded to your computer, or exist in the Cloud, for relatively low cost (read: $25 upwards for bundles, some offered with buy $50, get a freebie of less value)

I'm genuinely interested in Guitar Rig 6, after I've saved up some cash. That looks like a decent utility plug-in that would solve many of my effects/amp/cabs needs. It's still only a possible want, not a need. Will make do with my Overloud TH-U library until then.

You can try a free version of Amplitube 4. I believe it comes with a digital chromatic tuner, 9 stomps, 4 amps, 5 cabs, 3 mics, 2 rack effects. A couple of times during the year they have amazing deals on bundles and collections. I've been using the IK Multimedia's Amplitube 4 Deluxe version and have purchased a lot of their collections (Mesa Boogie, Fender, Orange and more) over the past 18 months and love it. Top quality tones and ease of use as an application or as a VST with Reaper have made me have no need to look for any other similar products.

download helix native for free trial tied onto an email address, its too expensive new standalone, but if you buy one of their products with the software inside hardware, then its heavily discounted plus they do periodical sales

worth a look anyway, you can run it as a VST in daw, or there are free 3rd party software to host it, just google

Any of the Neural DSP stuff comes with 2 week free trails. And if you keep your eye out they occasionally drop 50% off sales. I have been really impressed with them so far.

the BE100 sim from Nalex. This and the free IR from ML, I think it is called "the best IR in the world" or something like that..or you can go with the Ignite Emissary...a little on the heavier side tho

If you go to vst4free on the google machine you can find a lot of useable amp sim plugins. Its all open source and you can get drums keys tape sims bit crushers pretty much anything you might need.

Back