Thoughts on Waves/PRS sims, S2's

andy474x

Knows the Drill
Waves had another $29 sale for the PRS amp 3-pack, the Dallas, V9, and Archon... heck of a deal if for nothing else than having an approximation of amps I don't own. Surprisingly enough, the amp I liked the most of the trio was by far the Dallas... very punchy, very tweakable, and sounded good through the largest number of cabinet combinations offered in the sims. There are 1 and 2x12 V30 cabs, 2x12 "Black" cabs (anyone know what those are?), 55hz and 75hz Greenbacks, and on or off axis G12-65's. Honestly, both the V9 and especially the Archon need to be played through 2 different cabs at the same time to get the best of them, which really surprised me. The pro-tweaked presets were (mostly) really good for that, getting the best combination of cabinets and EQ settings. Meanwhile, the Dallas sounded killer just through either of the V30 cabs. I should get some more cab IR's to try with them. I know the consensus on the Waves stuff is that they're good, but not as much so as the real thing, I still think it was worth the $29 just for the Dallas sim.

I have a Torpedo Cab M and load box on the way, I'll be interested to see what kind of sounds I can get out of my 2 Channel Custom and MT15 through that setup, vs the sounds I can get through the Waves sims.

I've also been playing my S2 Studio frequently. I've noticed some small but very striking differences between it and my other S2's - first, it's the most resonant all over the fretboard. The semi hollow and satin models both have a lot of resonance too, in their own individual ways, due to the hollow chamber on one and the all hog/nitro finish combo on the other. But neither have the raw sustain and depth of tone especially on the high frets, compared to the Studio. It's not a night and day difference, but it's definitely there. Which surprises me, as usually the satin models are the deepest sounding whenever I get my hands on them. The trem action on the Studio is the best I've ever played, very stable tuning without having to oil anything, widen slots, etc. Also, I wonder if they're starting to round off some of the corners on the newer S2's - mine has a softer edge where my forearm rests, and it feels great.

My first S2, the Custom 22 Semi Hollow, is a 2014 model, and it had a couple small flaws - the volume knob is scratchy if I don't hit it with contact cleaner every few months, and the selector blade switch fell apart on me one day after progressively getting more and more loose. Easy fixes, I'm not trolling! The guitar is well worth it. But the Satin model from late '15 has incredibly solid electronics, as does the Studio so far. The trem on the Satin was fair, I replaced it with a Mann trem, the semi's trem is decent too but I really like the sound of the guitar and don't want to change it, so I leave it be. The only thing I dislike about the Studio is the trem bar itself - they changed the design, added a tip cover and changed the angles, and it doesn't allow as much drop before bottoming out/hitting the bar on the guitar body. It feels choked in terms of how much play there is.

So my experience is that there has been a consistent climb in the quality of S2's. They've all been good, but PRS is just nailing it when it comes to the newest ones. I'd also just like to point out, prices on SE's have climbed up to within a couple hundred dollars of the S2 Satins, which haven't changed price AT ALL since they came out, you want to talk about a deal? Having played them both, there's just no contest between how resonant and deep sounding the S2 satin is next to an SE - side by side with a core model, the S2 is much closer to the core than it is to the SE. The SE has the bling factor, but honestly, I've got two plain mahogany, dot-laden S2's hanging on the wall and not having birds or a figured top means nothing to me at this point. I think anyone shopping that SE/S2 price point is doing themselves a serious disservice if they don't get both in their hands and play them!

I bought the Waves sims when they first came out. Very nice to play with. If you haven't noticed already, you can load external cab IRs (I have a few from Ownhammer and Lancaster Audio) and use them as well. Lancaster has a PRS cab or two. There's a lot of flexibility there. One thing I haven't done is try to match my Archon to the sim to see how close it comes.

I bought the Waves sims when they first came out. Very nice to play with. If you haven't noticed already, you can load external cab IRs (I have a few from Ownhammer and Lancaster Audio) and use them as well. Lancaster has a PRS cab or two. There's a lot of flexibility there. One thing I haven't done is try to match my Archon to the sim to see how close it comes.

Thanks for the info! I know I can load external IR’s, but weren’t sure where to go for them, I’ll check out the ones you mentioned!

I got these when they came out, and I like them better than any other software amps I’ve bought (that would be an awful lot, including the amplitube stuff, the Native Instruments models, Scuffham, all the bx/plugin alliance amps, the universal audio models, overloud, softube, the older waves gtr, etc.). Obviously there are other well-regarded ones I haven’t tried.

Waves has been hitting home runs lately with really cool sounding plugins of all kinds, and their pricing is amazing.

These PRS Waves models do sound more realistic with some of the better third party IRs. I can recommend the Red Wirez, Ownhammer, Celestion and Lancaster stuff.

I got these when they came out, and I like them better than any other software amps I’ve bought (that would be an awful lot, including the amplitube stuff, the Native Instruments models, Scuffham, all the bx/plugin alliance amps, the universal audio models, overloud, softube, the older waves gtr, etc.). Obviously there are other well-regarded ones I haven’t tried.

Waves has been hitting home runs lately with really cool sounding plugins of all kinds, and their pricing is amazing.

These PRS Waves models do sound more realistic with some of the better third party IRs. I can recommend the Red Wirez, Ownhammer, Celestion and Lancaster stuff.

I bought Scuffham largely on Les's reviews. I use the Amplitube stuff, but mainly for bass. One of the frustrating bits about Amplitube is they list all the presets whether you've bought the models needed or not. It gets aggravating to find a preset that looks like what you want/need only to find you don't have the amp for it. It's possible there's a setting to change that, but I haven't cared enough to dig for it.

I did recently find out that there's a sort of 'maintenance' cost w/the Waves stuff - you get updates and support for something like a year, then they want a fee to continue that support. So far, the PRS amps are the only thing I've seriously considered extending.

I bought Scuffham largely on Les's reviews. I use the Amplitube stuff, but mainly for bass.

I use the Universal Audio Ampeg models for bass, and honestly, they sound great. Maybe if I was a serious bass player I wouldn’t think so, but I don’t much care. I have a very fine direct box (Avalon U5), and often don’t even use a bass amp model, just go in dry.

Re Waves’Update Plan: I’ve used this for years. It’s far cheaper than other developers’ models of charging quite a lot for new major versions.

I just saw that Arturia has a new version of V Collection (again!). The update price is $200! Native Instruments updates Komplete every year, again, and I believe my partner pays around $400 for it. It cost me $100 to update the two BX console models to the new versions. I mean, come on! Waves’ fees are pretty low and are based on how many plugins you have, etc.

Most outrageous is Softube’s adding new software modules every month for their Modular plugin. They do the same thing as amplitube with certain presets being in the list even if you don’t have the modules. The new module is $99. I just bought one last month for $59, and this isn’t even a new version, it’s just an add-on! I decided, no. I don’t use Modular enough to justify it.

Instead I bought a wonderful sounding Wurlitzer electric piano from Waves for the princely sum of $29. A whole new instrument that tops any other soft EP out there in audio quality? I’ll take it.

I use the Universal Audio Ampeg models for bass, and honestly, they sound great. Maybe if I was a serious bass player I wouldn’t think so, but I don’t much care. I have a very fine direct box (Avalon U5), and often don’t even use a bass amp model, just go in dry.

Re Waves’Update Plan: I’ve used this for years. It’s far cheaper than other developers’ models of charging quite a lot for new major versions.

I just saw that Arturia has a new version of V Collection (again!). The update price is $200! Native Instruments updates Komplete every year, again, and I believe my partner pays around $400 for it. It cost me $100 to update the two BX console models to the new versions. I mean, come on! Waves’ fees are pretty low and are based on how many plugins you have, etc.

Most outrageous is Softube’s adding new software modules every month for their Modular plugin. They do the same thing as amplitube with certain presets being in the list even if you don’t have the modules. The new module is $99. I just bought one last month for $59, and this isn’t even a new version, it’s just an add-on! I decided, no. I don’t use Modular enough to justify it.

Instead I bought a wonderful sounding Wurlitzer electric piano from Waves for the princely sum of $29. A whole new instrument that tops any other soft EP out there in audio quality? I’ll take it.

I've switched to mainly using the Geddy Lee bass rack from Tech 21 for the bass stuff. Agree with you about being a serious bass player - if I was, I'd probably have much better basses.

I found the prices on the upgrade stuff mixed - the upgrade for the PRS Amps is really pretty cheap, and for the Rhapsody piano (I think that's what I called), it's pretty ridiculous. That said, one of the Abbey Road plugins came up much higher - I'd be more inclined to wait for another sale for something like that.

I saw the Arturia thing as well. They did that last year and got a lot of complaints. Someone said around Black Friday they offered it for $99. I updated last year at $199, but I'm not inclined to do it this year - the Mellotron is the key addition for me (I haven't looked at the details on the B3 update), and I bought one of those last year from Toontrack for well less than the Arturia update price. So I'm pretty good there.

When I got the PRS sims, they had pretty much everything in their store on sale for $29. I had to exercise some serious self control not to buy a bunch of cool plugins, mostly because although I like the potential for what they’re capable of, I don’t actually know how to use them! I did get a vocal pitch correction plugin, which I’m sure I’ll use occasionally for band demos.

I don’t actually know how to use them! I did get a vocal pitch correction plugin, which I’m sure I’ll use occasionally for band demos.

Sometimes it’s also a good fix for a slightly out-of-tune guitar note that you hadn’t noticed while tracking.

Back