Amp head opinions needed on PRS 2 Channel C

Lkdog

I am home studio player and use an Axe Fx 3, but have the urge to pick up a tube amp head again. Budget is around $600-800 used as it will be for casual use.
Have had a Mesa Mk V 90 several times in last few years. Mostly used the clean and low gain tweed channels, and the Mark I thick mode.

Have had various Marshalls also in last few years. Used cleaner to blues low gain, to classic rock tones.

Have a chance to get a PRS 2 channel C amp head at good price. There are very few Youtube vids out there on it.
Also wondering about an Archon 50 watt head.

So if a guy wants fender cleans, slight break up tweed type, classic rock Marshall, and Mesa Mark I thick lead, which of these two might work best. LOL.

Am also interested in a Mesa Heartbreaker or Mesa Lone Star classic head to do the above, just can't find one right now.

I could go back to another Mark V 90, but that is a lot of money tied up into a casual use amp even used.

Any input is welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:
The Archon has a great clean, but if you want that low gain breakup on it, it's gotta get power tube breakup loud.

The gain channel on the Archon goes *down* to classic metal levels, think Iron Maiden.

The Archon clean channel does take pedals exceptionally well, so if you can make that work, I can recommend it.

The C will get you a lot of what you’re looking for, but I don’t think it’ll quite get you all of it. The clean channel is very, very good. Hell, let’s not mince words. I love it. The gain channel is more in the classic rock line. Whether either of these is a Fender or Marshall sound, I can’t say. I don’t really chase those tones. But I’m very happy with the C.

The Archon is somewhat stereotyped as a high-gain beast. Don’t be fooled - it’s much more than that. The clean channel is the equal of the C. No lie - it’s every bit as good as the C, and may get a tad more crunch at the upper end of its range. The gain channel goes well beyond what the C’s gain channel can do. No surprise - it is a high-gain amp, after all. But it’s far from a one-trick pony. There is a ton of useful range on the gain channel, from a classic grind kind of tone to a fire-breathing beast at the high end of the gain range. There is a bit of a gap, to my ear, between the crunchy side of the clean channel and the clean side if the gain channel, but you may be able to fill that in with a pedal or your volume knob.

Personally, I don’t think you can go wrong with either one. They’re both a ton of amp for the money, especially if you can get them in the range you describe. My Archon is my clear #1, but the C really isn’t far behind.

So if a guy wants fender cleans, slight break up tweed type, classic rock Marshall, and Mesa Mark I thick lead, which of these two might work best. LOL.

Am also interested in a Mesa Heartbreaker or Mesa Lone Star classic head to do the above, just can't find one right now.

Good luck in your quest.

I have a few amps, one of which is the Lone Star Classic. It won’t do all four things you want, and frankly, neither will the Mark V 90W (had one as well). Because neither really gets very Marshal-ish, or authentic Tweed (I don’t care if they call one of their modes Tweed, because it ain’t ;)). And Mesa cleans are different from Fender cleans in important ways, even with the mid controls scooped.

My PRS amps are from their single channel line, but based on playing around with one, I think the C will get you closer to what you want than the Lone Star, except for the part about wanting Tweed; that it won’t do.

I realize you were kind of kidding around about expecting to find an amp that does everything you want, hence the LOL.

The Archon 50 is deceivingly flexible. As a single channel lover (despite playing Mesa/Boogies for a gazillion years), I appreciate the limitations most amp present to get their sound. That’s where I add the right dirt or boost pedals and get more variety than I’d get without. The Archon’s range of grit and gain is crazy-wide and benefited from a little delay/modulation. IMO, if it were me, I’d lean into the Archon 50 (the 25 combo was different to me and the 100 was just overkill).

I appreciate the input from guys who know these amps. I have never played a PRS amp.
Have been all Mesa and Marshall in last few years.

My favorites tones in an amp are Fender-ish/Marshall low gain grit in general, and Mesa Mark I thicker type for leads.

Good luck in your quest.

I have a few amps, one of which is the Lone Star Classic. It won’t do all four things you want, and frankly, neither will the Mark V 90W (had one as well). Because neither really gets very Marshal-ish, or authentic Tweed (I don’t care if they call one of their modes Tweed, because it ain’t ;)). And Mesa cleans are different from Fender cleans in important ways, even with the mid controls scooped.

My PRS amps are from their single channel line, but based on playing around with one, I think the C will get you closer to what you want than the Lone Star, except for the part about wanting Tweed; that it won’t do.

I realize you were kind of kidding around about expecting to find an amp that does everything you want, hence the LOL.

Yeah- they all promise the moon. I agree that the MESA Mark V lacked in the more open Marshall grit department. Was not a huge fan of the modern scooped higher gain channels.
I am a blues/classic rock guy mostly.

Yeah- they all promise the moon. I agree that the MESA Mark V lacked in the more open Marshall grit department. Was not a huge fan of the modern scooped higher gain channels.
I am a blues/classic rock guy mostly.

Thing is, a Marshall isn’t just about different tubes, it’s a different topology, including tone stack. So there’s really no way a Fender-based amp like a Mesa Mark is going to do a great Marshall tone.

The DG30, an amp PRS still makes, is an amazing blues/classic rock amp, as is the HXDA that they stopped making this year. They’re single channel amps, very old-school, control ‘em from the guitar, kinda things. I don’t know what they’re going for used, but probably more than your budget.

Mesa’s Fillmore will do the stuff you’re talking about (I also have one of those), probably better than a Lone Star (except Marshall tones), but they’re new enough that it’s hard to say whether any are floating around used. Still, excellent Tweed and Americana, classic rock, blues, etc., and less expensive than the PRS single channel amps.

I do prefer my PRS amps to anything else I’ve owned (lots of high end and vintage amps), but for hot takes on a modded Tweed, the Fillmore’s pretty nice.

My honest feeling is that real Fender cleans and a real Marshall OD channel are mutually incompatible things, if you’re seeking Truth and Perfection in one amp. On the other hand, a really good Plexi style amp like the HXDA has incredible cleans in a different flavor.

One or the other gets compromised due to the very different tone stacks, transformers, and so on. At my own Studio Craptastic, I found that four amps are needed to get most of the flavors I want, and even then, there are a couple more I kinda still could use.

But I’m not into modelers, and volume is less of an issue for me than for most folks. I’m learning to be patient. It’s taken me a long time to be able to do that! :eek:

Last edited:
So leaning toward the PRS 2 channel C. There is one locally I can grab at pretty reasonable price. Honestly if a Mesa Heartbreaker popped up would likely go for that but none around right now.

Yeah, I have kind of contradictory core tones I gravitate to. Basically:

1)A lower gain Bassman blues/classic rock tone
2) thick Mark 1 lead like on the Mark V 90

I do have an Axe Fx 3. It's amazing. There is still a touch/feel thing a modeler can't quite get all the way there yet on IMO.

OK- just to report back to those who have been kind enough to help me out here and anyone else interested.

I did pick up the PRS 2 Channel C head last night. The price seemed pretty good for a USA built amp of this quality ($650) and it seemed like it might get me in the ballpark for what I was looking for.

I only had a few minutes to try it out at lower volume.. Hooked up to my modest little Jet City 1X12 CAB with a Celestion G12 V30 in it.

Build quality is top notch. Tank like.
Amp seems pretty quiet, especially considering the loop is always on in the circuit.

Used my 2001 R8 LP. Tone open on guitar. Bright switch off on the amp channels.
Tried the Clean side first and it had a familiar plexi style clean and with the gain turned up had a range of pushed and crunch sound. Will need to explore fully. I liked it.

Went to the Lead channel and set it purposely to what I thought should get me thicker lead type tone. Treble at 10 o clock, Mid at 2 o clock, Bass around noon. Bright off. Gain moderate to higher.
Having read some other threads here on the Effects Loop Send acting as another volume stage I made sure that was at 2 o' clock.

It sounded excellent to my ears. Thick Mark I, Dumblish, Two Rock, Carol Ann type lead tone. Nice cross between Mesa and Marshall but the way I had it set- more Mesa like which is my preference for single note lead work.
I am guessing that with the EQ set different and the Bright switch on it can get the more raw stringy Marshall bite.

Reverb was good. I only use a little bit. I see it has a real reverb tank and not digital.

So, first very brief impression is pretty positive.

The amp itself is one of the ones that was at the PRS Experience thing in 2010 I guess. I don't know if that is good or bad and if there were later some issues uncovered I should keep an eye out for. Nothing of concern that I could tell in terms of noise floor, reverb hum etc.
This one is pretty close to mint shape.

ndl28wpfoxyn9z2bd8p1.jpg

acizpcxezbxlmxynuzgb.jpg

dyr2sslkotvnmvhzkenb.jpg

Congrats. That should be a heck of an amp for $650!

Great score at that price. The pre-prod notation makes rethink it's probably set up like the original 20.

The C is a great amp. And to get a preproduction...stellar! Congrats on a great find. (You’re gonna love the way you sound!)

Back