Amp Recommendations Please

Many folks find that, especially on the drive channel of the Custom amps, the bass is quite strong - although yours being a 1x12 combo, and at 20 watts, that's probably the best configuration for taming that issue. I usually set my bass around 9-10:00 on the lead channel. Most of my other tone controls, on both channels, I'm usually running around 1-2:00.

The mid shift on the lead channel adds low mids, basically if you want to fatten up the sound of that channel. And the depth push/pull on the presence control will fatten up the whole amp if you find it too lean.

Just a couple other notes, the lead channel loves to be hit with boost pedals, it'll let the character of a guitar and/or boost pedal really come through to shape the tone. If you're into swapping speakers, my recommendation for a single 12" is a Creamback M.

There will be more folks who can answer this question better than I can. Only thing I can say is to try setting your EQ neutral to begin with, and if the 20 has a volume/master, to try to find the edge of breakup, where the sweet spot of overdrive resides. Your ears will play a large role, since everyone has differing tastes in tone. If the amp sounds too fizzy, reduce the treble. Doesn't cut through enough? Increase the mids a little. Need more thump but not too flubby? Add some bass.

Think of how you might demo an amp in someone's shop...and that's a decent guide...

+1

I strongly recommend you take the time to get used to your amp controls. It's never a slam-dunk for how to set one up.

Start with everything at noon and run each dial one at a time from zero to full. Note where each control starts to become significantly audible. That is often a good starting point. Repeat with everything (except gain and MV) at zero.
Try combinations, like turning the bass or mid knob with the treble low and then with the treble high, as many knobs will be interactive.
Alternate turning treble and presence or bass and depth (if the amp has these).
Lower the bass knob and raise the mid knob to see how much bass the mid knob carries.
Lower the treble and raise the mid knob to see how much high-end the mid knob carries. I have had amps where I used the mid knob in place of either bass or treble because they overlapped.
Add more mids than you think you should have.
Reduce bass as you turn gain up, gain usually makes the amp more bass-heavy.
Reduce presence or treble as you turn master volume up as loud amps are more shrill.

+1

I strongly recommend you take the time to get used to your amp controls. It's never a slam-dunk for how to set one up.

Start with everything at noon and run each dial one at a time from zero to full. Note where each control starts to become significantly audible. That is often a good starting point. Repeat with everything (except gain and MV) at zero.
Try combinations, like turning the bass or mid knob with the treble low and then with the treble high, as many knobs will be interactive.
Lower the bass knob and raise the mid knob to see how much bass the mid knob carries.
Lower the treble and raise the mid knob to see how much high-end the mid knob carries. I have had amps where I used the mid knob in place of either bass or treble because they overlapped.
Reduce presence or treble as you turn master volume up as loud amps are more shrill.
Top class advice here. I see so many people complain that their amp sucks. But the truth is they've never taken the time to learn their amp's characteristics so that they can dial in exactly what their amp does best.

One problem with taking advice from other players too literally is that every room significantly affects what you hear from an amp. In a bright room, for example, the settings another player uses in a heavily carpeted room might take your head off. Same with bass response.

When I get a new amp, I literally try the controls from zero to ten to see how they affect the sound. I find that when I start with the control at noon, I get too conservative and don't experiment as much, but that's probably just me.

Obviously a very personal choice and I have a hard time settling in on just one amp. my gigging amp is a Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36 with 2, 1x12 Celestion vintage 30 cabs. it's a 4 channel, variable wattage amp 1,5, 18, 36 watts and has a GREAT built-in direct box, programmable effects, additional effects loop, noise gate, and is Midi controllable.
I get tons of compliments on how it sounds from the sound guys. I changed the tubes out- went with Tong sol pre-amp and Mullard Power tubes versus the VERY bright Chinese tubes that it came with. the only downside to this amp is it gets HOT after a couple of hours- especially with the wattage/resistance kicked in. I almost never have it on more than 5 watts -even playing live.

+1

A plug & play amp will be much easier to dial in a good tone, than say for example, a multi-effects/amp/cab modeler. As others have already said, take some time and experiment with your amp's controls. Various amps have varying degrees of control within each of the knobs and switches, so spend some time with your amp to become acquainted with it.

+1 regards Les' comment about the room playing a vital role in how your amp will sound. The tone and acoustic properties of each room can and will change when you practice at home or take your gear to gigs.

Top class advice here. I see so many people complain that their amp sucks. But the truth is they've never taken the time to learn their amp's characteristics so that they can dial in exactly what their amp does best.

Yup. I've heard the same complaints regards amp tone. I've also suggested to some of these folks what you just said. They still complain. That's where a door can be useful, especially for avoiding debates about how to improve amp tone, other than what you've suggested. (Trust me, this works)

@nussbajh
There have been many posts here on the Universal Audio Ox Amp Top Box (normally just called the Ox Box), and it is so much more than just an attenuator or load box. UA makes some elite quality studio gear, and this device is right up there with their other equipment. The sound quality is superb.

I posted a video of Pete Thorn demoing the unit a while back, which shows the unit pretty thoroughly. Since this introduction demo, several more features have been added or enhanced, but you’ll get the idea. Live or studio, it’s a winner. I’ll re-post here for those who may have missed it:

I've owned around 40 amps in my life, and without hesitation I can say the single best amplifier I've ever played is a Driftwood Purple Nightmare. That amp has such an impressive range of high quality sounds and unique features it's not even funny. Fender Bassman cleans, Hiwatt meets Marshall crunch, tight djent-y metal chunk, and expressive and liquid lead tones. Built-in noise gate, built-in Tube Screamer circuit, built-in pedal power outlet, bias tuning ports for swapping tubes types, and 2 different master volumes. It even has a 2watt mode for late night practicing or whatever. Spendy, but IMHO worth every penny.

Lots of reviews on YouTube, John Browne does a good job of walking through everything here.

Last edited:
@nussbajh
There have been many posts here on the Universal Audio Ox Amp Top Box (normally just called the Ox Box), and it is so much more than just an attenuator or load box. UA makes some elite quality studio gear, and this device is right up there with their other equipment. The sound quality is superb.

I posted a video of Pete Thorn demoing the unit a while back, which shows the unit pretty thoroughly. Since this introduction demo, several more features have been added or enhanced, but you’ll get the idea. Live or studio, it’s a winner. I’ll re-post here for those who may have missed it:

Seems awesome, but I prefer single rack space or smaller like Captor X. Ox Box is too big for the space I have.

Seems awesome, but I prefer single rack space or smaller like Captor X. Ox Box is too big for the space I have.
Yes, it’s probably the same volume as a 1U device, but certainly not the same “pancake” shape. Nothing fits everyone, so we’re fortunate that there are suitable rack devices for those who need that form factor. I use the Ox Amp Top Box just like the name suggests... sitting on top of the amp. Works great there, and is a snap to move amp to amp when I change up. I was thinking that would be along the lines of what the OP was asking about, but it’s always good to discuss all options.

I've owned around 40 amps in my life, and without hesitation I can say the single best amplifier I've ever played is a Driftwood Purple Nightmare. That amp has such an impressive range of high quality sounds and unique features it's not even funny. Fender Bassman cleans, Hiwatt meets Marshall crunch, tight djent-y metal chunk, and expressive and liquid lead tones. Built-in noise gate, built-in Tube Screamer circuit, built-in pedal power outlet, bias tuning ports for swapping tubes types, and 2 different master volumes. It even has a 2watt mode for late night practicing or whatever. Spendy, but IMHO worth every penny.

Lots of reviews on YouTube, John Browne does a good job of walking through everything here.

I'm not a metal player, so I'm clearly not equipped to judge how well it does on that style, but it certainly seems innovative and interesting. Do you have one?

Yeah that Driftwood amp is a SOLID metal amp. My son toured with Rings of Saturn and Origin in Europe 2 years ago and used one with his Legator 7 string. Really great tone. He's using the Axe FX now- they all went IEM and the Axe FX is really great for keeping stage volumes down and FOH sound quality high. I appreciate that at 28, he's thinking about his hearing.

I'm not a metal player, so I'm clearly not equipped to judge how well it does on that style, but it certainly seems innovative and interesting. Do you have one?
Yep. It's been a wonderful addition to my studio. At first glance it might look like an amp only designed for modern metal, but it's way more than that. The cleans are simply massive, and it does a very respectable job with more traditional rock/blues sounds. The assignable TS9 circuit surprised me. I had originally thought it might be gimmicky, but it's actually quite functional and effective - especially in boosting the clean channel.

50845552391_7d816f4a48_z.jpg

Yep. It's been a wonderful addition to my studio. At first glance it might look like an amp only designed for modern metal, but it's way more than that. The cleans are simply massive, and it does a very respectable job with more traditional rock/blues sounds. The assignable TS9 circuit surprised me. I had originally thought it might be gimmicky, but it's actually quite functional and effective - especially in boosting the clean channel.

50845552391_7d816f4a48_z.jpg

It's a nice looking amp, too. That's always a plus!

Maybe too late, but the Boss Katana (50 or 100) is a surprisingly awesome amp. They have selectable wattage and built in effects that are truly easy to use. Fantastic sounds just by turning knobs, no screen or menus to fuss with, can use footswitch (not included) for “channel” switching, 4 on the 50 and 8 on the 100, and the 100 has an effects loop.

Congrats on the new amp!
Thanks. I know it’s been a couple of months since the first post, thought I’d share with all of you that I think I’ve been reading all of your posts for too long. All the talk about the HXDA kept weighing on me. I’m keeping the Custom 20 amp and enjoy it, but just got a great deal on an HXDA combo through Dave’s Guitars. Have to say those guys have done me right in terms of prices on used amps. The amp should get here midweek. Now I just need to get the wife and kid I to of the house more so I can thoroughly enjoy the amps. Been doing a lot of acoustic this year having a young kid. I have some great Taylor’s, so I don’t mind too much, but there is something about getting to crank up the amp and play.

PRS MT15 with a JHS Little Black Amp Box Passive Amp Attenuator plus some acoustic foam is your friend. The Attenuator goes in the effect loop and acts as a master volume. You can crank the amp and dial it back without loosing tone our usage of the pedals in your effects loop.

Thanks. I know it’s been a couple of months since the first post, thought I’d share with all of you that I think I’ve been reading all of your posts for too long. All the talk about the HXDA kept weighing on me. I’m keeping the Custom 20 amp and enjoy it, but just got a great deal on an HXDA combo through Dave’s Guitars. Have to say those guys have done me right in terms of prices on used amps. The amp should get here midweek. Now I just need to get the wife and kid I to of the house more so I can thoroughly enjoy the amps. Been doing a lot of acoustic this year having a young kid. I have some great Taylor’s, so I don’t mind too much, but there is something about getting to crank up the amp and play.

If you need any tips, feel free to PM. Though you probably will be able to figure it out in very short order. :)

Back