Any chance of a Jimmy Herring model?

Skeeter

Watching the broadcast of the New Orlean's jazz festival. And Jimmy Herring is playing with Widespread Panic - but not the usual NF3, some other concoction - 22 fret, them, I think Custom thickness, based on position of strap button on the back - but not positive.

Interesting electronics - looks like a traditional 4 knob Gibson spacing, but the bottom "volume" is the 3-way toggle. Still, we got 3 knobs going on, so unless its Piezo, could be a separate volume.

Anyways, have always loved his playing, he sounds good with just about anything (it's all the hands man!). And I feel like he's a guitar player's guitar player who could come up with something with a lot of appeal a la Grissom and the DGT. And he is def sounding great right now - looks like maybe he's playing a Germino?

Anybody ever hear any rumors of a Sig model? Anyone else watching this who has gotten a better sense of what it is?

Beautiful Saturday for some live :rock:music!

Last edited:
I've seen shots of him with a bunch of different PRS guitars: SC58, a couple HBs, NF3, customs. Was it a sunburst?

Now there's an endorsement I can get behind. One of my current favorite new (to me) players.

Looks like standard headstocks but unique controls. Appears to have added the volume knob TO WHERE IT SHOULD BE on that HB.

Heh, I bought a couple of Widespread Panic disks last year (I think), did not know of the PRS connection. Now I need to listen closer to hear the tone of the wood. :D

He has a couple of nice axes there. The customized CU22, in Black Gold Burst with faux binding, has a light-colored headstock - it is a slightly stained maple, or a light mahogany, or Something Else?

He was the reason I bought my PRS McCarty Archtop II about 15 years ago. Jazz Is Dead album was a huge hit for me (and I wasn't a big Dead fan). His tone is just incredible & all in the touch, like that video of him getting "slide" tones without using a slide. I'd love to see a Herring signature guitar AND AMP!!!!

He has two of the custom solid bodies. They're nearly identical, but one is stoptail and the other a trem. He beat David Grissom to the punch on the V/V/T wiring by a good while. Basically a CU22 with a maple neck and the different controls. Would be a cool addition to the line.

And then of course he's been rocking the NF3 a lot the last couple years.

Any Herring/Widespread Panic cd recommendations? Been meaning to snag something ever since I saw him on HDNET a while back. Tasty playing!

I'm not a fan of WSP, but Jimmy's two solo albums are both great. Lifeboat and Subject to Change Without Notice. He's been using the NF3 with The Ringers. Don't think they've released anything yet, but there is live audio/video out there on the webs. He did a couple earlier collaborations, one called Endangered Species, and the other Project Z. Also bands Jazz is Dead and Aquarium Rescue Unit.

Can't go wrong, but Subject to Change best represents where he's at as a player right now, with the great trem work and those pseudo slide licks.

Garrett listed pretty much everything.... just google/iTunes/amazon/youtube your way into the Herring infested waters!

Can you tell I'm a fan? :p Been blown away by his playing since I first heard him on Out of the Madness with Derek Trucks.

I just looked at his Wiki page for the first time, and the discography is pretty complete. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Herring#Discography He also shows up on a couple of Gov't Mule live albums and with WSP on the Gregg Allman tribute.

He's also on about a gazillion audience recordings from over the years. I have one or two of the shows from when he replaced Dickey in ABB. He and Derek are a formidable pair!

Seeing Jimmy playing a PRS through the Germino in a live clip of Protein Shake/Sewing Machine is what pushed me to buy my Cu24. I have become a huge fan of his over the last year and change. I really like listening to WSP Live At Red Rocks (2011?) and then

Listen to Live at Oak Mountain Amphitheater in AL to hear the difference in tones from his Fuchs vs Germino tones.

If you happen to find a copy of "Mirrors of Embarrassment" by Col. Bruce Hampton & the Aquarium Rescue Unit, Jimmie's playing on that record is stellar.

Back