AMP GAS - It Is After Me!

Yeah. Dialling Mesa/Boogie with all controls at noon is a common misconception. Seeing each of the TMB controls as volumes for each frequency respectively will take you there quicker
True! The Best Way To Get A Mesa To Sound Bad Is To Dial With Your Eyes And What You "Think" Should Sound Good Setting Wise.

A Lot Of Controls Interact With Other Controls.

And the interaction changes with volume.

There is no easy 5-minute path to adjusting earlier Mks on the fly, in a live situation - you have to work at it in an orderly fashion, use your ears, and learn how to dial the gain/EQ//loop level/volume etc as you go.

Even keeping things on an even keel while in a multi-guitar live situation requires that you learn and practice a little restraint, alongside the skill it takes to dial it back a notch or three. I discovered early on that blowing your bandmates off the stage isn't generally considered a popular approach :rolleyes:

Last edited:
And the interaction changes with volume.

There is no easy 5-minute path to adjusting earlier Mks on the fly, in a live situation - you have to work at it in an orderly fashion, use your ears, and learn how to dial the gain/EQ//loop level/volume etc as you go.

Even keeping things on an even keel while in a multi-guitar live situation requires that you learn and practice a little restraint, alongside the skill it takes to dial it back a notch or three. I discovered early on that blowing your bandmates off the stage isn't generally considered a popular approach :rolleyes:
This Is Very True! Everything Changes When One Thing Changes... ;)

This one's a little out of left field, because when I think of clean tones I love, I tend to think Two-Rock or Tweed, but the clean tones of the Magnatone Twilighter are very, very different - yet gorgeous.

Fat, rich midrange, tons of headroom and volume. I very much liked the one I played through.

As I understand it, this model is beloved by Nashville session players like Brent Mason.

Have you tried an Omega Ampworks Granophyre? Or Mezza Barba MZero Overdrive?

There is also the Engl Savage 120 MKII
Haven't Tried Any ENGL After Having The SE. The Mezzabarba Is Nice But Not Much Different Than Anything I Already Have. I Did Find It o Be Similar To The Soldano SLO And The Bogner Helios Eclipse In Some Ways. Nice Amp For Sure! The Omega Amps Haven't Turned Me On Too Much To Be Honest.

Haven't Tried Any ENGL After Having The SE. The Mezzabarba Is Nice But Not Much Different Than Anything I Already Have. I Did Find It o Be Similar To The Soldano SLO And The Bogner Helios Eclipse In Some Ways. Nice Amp For Sure! The Omega Amps Haven't Turned Me On Too Much To Be Honest.
Nice! I really liked the demos I heard of the ENGL SE.

Which one do you feel is the tightest or fastest out of the Mezzabarba, Soldano or Bogner Helios Eclipse?

Have you tried some of the Hermansson modded amps like Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifier or Marshall JMP?

Mark Tremonti also has a Hermansson modded amp. May tide everyone over till the MT100 releases ;)

There is also the Fortin Cali, MLC Amplification Subzero, or MI Megalith Beta

Nice! I really liked the demos I heard of the ENGL SE.

Which one do you feel is the tightest or fastest out of the Mezzabarba, Soldano or Bogner Helios Eclipse?

Have you tried some of the Hermansson modded amps like Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifier or Marshall JMP?

Mark Tremonti also has a Hermansson modded amp. May tide everyone over till the MT100 releases ;)

There is also the Fortin Cali, MLC Amplification Subzero, or MI Megalith Beta
Tightest Of The Three? I Would Lean Helios Eclipse.

I Haven't Tried Hermansson's Mods Personally Although I Do Like What I Hear From The Videos I Have Seen.

I Do Look Forward To That MT-100 Release For Sure!

Not Much Of A Fortin Fan...I Would Rather Wait For The Real Larry Amp ;) (And I Am Not Doing That).

I Typically Stay Away From Those Smaller, Start Up Type Builders Until I Know They Are Going To Be Around. The Sub Zero Is Nice. After A While, A Lot Of This Stuff Overlaps In Some Way And I Am At The Point Where I Have To Really Be Honest With MySelf And See If X,Y,Z Amp Really Does Something Unique I Can't Get Out Of All The Stuff I Have. I Rarely Sell Anything So Everything I Buy Is A Keeper For The Most Part For Me.

Has anyone looked at or tried the Todd Sharp JOAT?
The Last Time I Spoke With Todd That Amp Was Not Yet In Production...It Has Been A While (Time Sure Flies). It Is A Lovely Amp And Has A Lot Of Sounds And Versatility In It. It Doesn't Do The Heavies But It Does Everything Else. Todd Is A Fantastic Guitar Player As Well As A Great Tech/Builder.

I always wanted to try TC. Well done, enjoy
It Really Is An Incredible Amp. I Never Leave It For Long. I Can't, It Is Just Too Good!

This Is A Partial Dialogue From What My TC-100 Said To Me After Neglecting Her For Too Long. She Said - "I Know You Thought You Needed Something More, Something Different And Were Seduced Into Thinking You Had To Sow Some Wild Oats With Those Other Amps But I Was Here All Along, Fully Confident In Knowing What I Can Deliver. I Was Resting, Saving My Tubes For Your Return Which I Knew Would Happen. Once I Am Turned On There Are Very Few, If Any, Who Can Do All The Things I Can Do And I Had To Remind You Of That Which I Enjoyed Doing. Now That Your Head Is On Straight And Your Thinking Is As It Should Be, I Expect More Time With You."

As I Sat There In My Musical Nirvana While She Sang Her Siren's Song, I Couldn't Argue With Her. The Truth Was In Her Tone And I Loved Everything I Was Hearing.

It Really Is An Incredible Amp. I Never Leave It For Long. I Can't, It Is Just Too Good!

This Is A Partial Dialogue From What My TC-100 Said To Me After Neglecting Her For Too Long. She Said - "I Know You Thought You Needed Something More, Something Different And Were Seduced Into Thinking You Had To Sow Some Wild Oats With Those Other Amps But I Was Here All Along, Fully Confident In Knowing What I Can Deliver. I Was Resting, Saving My Tubes For Your Return Which I Knew Would Happen. Once I Am Turned On There Are Very Few, If Any, Who Can Do All The Things I Can Do And I Had To Remind You Of That Which I Enjoyed Doing. Now That Your Head Is On Straight And Your Thinking Is As It Should Be, I Expect More Time With You."

As I Sat There In My Musical Nirvana While She Sang Her Siren's Song, I Couldn't Argue With Her. The Truth Was In Her Tone And I Loved Everything I Was Hearing.
The TC was my second option while hunting for a new amp. I eventually bought the Fillmore, but I often think, what if I went with TC

Back