All about bicycles

So, in a thread like this, I actually thought carefully about even asking. I know my hack bike is a joke to you guys. But it has original tires on it... Yes, I said that. Yes, it's well over 20 years old. Yes, I'm smart enough to check every year for dry rot before I even get it out in the spring. And yes, I know this makes my OLD Giant bike a laugher for you guys, but you know what... I'm pretty impressed. I paid less for this bike than you probably did for your new tires, and it's 20 plus years and going strong. Only thing I've ever replaced on it is brakes. Well and the seat. I didn't need a girlfriend, just something to sit on. Commence laughing at the hack biker.

No way man! That'd be like picking on someone for choosing to play a stock first gen Santana SE. There are so many parallels between bikes and guitars. The best one for you is the one that makes you want to use it.

But real cyclists don’t need them.

Yeah, we just lean our $XXXX investments against trees or walls or lay them on the ground.

No way man! That'd be like picking on someone for choosing to play a stock first gen Santana SE. There are so many parallels between bikes and guitars. The best one for you is the one that makes you want to use it.

Yeah, we just lean our $XXXX investments against trees or walls or lay them on the ground.
It IS a Giant, it was just a cheap one. Dang thing is indestructible though. I've had it on some pretty rough trails (ones I road down but couldn't ride up out of) but most of it's work is road and mild trails. I can't believe the tires are original and haven't dry rotted. Heck as much road mileage as it has, I can't believe those trail tires still have tread on them!

And, yeah, that's why I like teasing you guys about it. When we were camping a couple weeks ago, there was a higher end bike up at the campgrounds store, and every time I saw it up there, it was laying in the grass. Guess he didn't want to scratch it leaning it on a tree... or.... the provided bike parking rack! When I saw it at his camp site, it was leaning up against his camper. Meanwhile, my bike was standing on it's own two legs, or two tires and kickstand, in the grass behind the camper all week. Got ridden daily, rained on once while we were gone, went on road and trails... I'd like something more road worthy and have been thinking about it for a couple years now, but that bike ain't going nowhere! Like few things today, I've gotten my moneys worth many times over with that Giant Upland.

Pedals.....Pedals.....Pedals.....!!!!!

I am looking for some SWEET new pedals for my mountain bike. I was thinking regular platform pedals on one side and click in's on the other side so I could have a variety. If that is a bad idea then I will go straight platform only for this bike.

I did RaceFace Chesters for my bike. Great grip but nasty on your shins if you screw up.
Thanks for the heads up. I can see how a mistake could be bad on the shins with those. I hadn't thought of a nylon pedal. I bet they are light. My concern is bearings and how they feel/sound after a little use. Are the top of the line offerings worthy of their price? I like the price and I like the idea that they are probably super light. :) I also see the nicer ones are lifetime warrantied. Those Atlas pedals look sweet! Is that price point the private stock of bike pedals? :)

Thanks for the heads up. I can see how a mistake could be bad on the shins with those. I hadn't thought of a nylon pedal. I bet they are light. My concern is bearings and how they feel/sound after a little use. Are the top of the line offerings worthy of their price? I like the price and I like the idea that they are probably super light. :) I also see the nicer ones are lifetime warrantied. Those Atlas pedals look sweet! Is that price point the private stock of bike pedals? :)

The nylon ones will usually still have studs, so there's always a risk of blood!

When I do eventually get a mountain bike, I'm thinking of flats as well, or at least double-sided flat/SPD. All my falls on the gravel bike so far have been technical, low speed, and I could've saved it if I'd been able to get my foot down fast enough. Yet, the efficiency of being clipped in is great for longer distance or less challenging terrain and getting full engagement out of the legs.

The nylon ones will usually still have studs, so there's always a risk of blood!

When I do eventually get a mountain bike, I'm thinking of flats as well, or at least double-sided flat/SPD. All my falls on the gravel bike so far have been technical, low speed, and I could've saved it if I'd been able to get my foot down fast enough. Yet, the efficiency of being clipped in is great for longer distance or less challenging terrain and getting full engagement out of the legs.
For this bike I am thinking flats instead of the multi. I have been geeking out on all kinds of bike stuff now. The bits I am looking at are less expensive than guitar gear so maybe it is a good thing...lol.

Yup, I ran the movie in my head and it was me playing Capt. Facedown over and over again, so no clips for me.

Gravel Bike 2.0 is almost done. Actually would be done, but I effed up one of the brake lines so will have to run a new one. I decided to go ahead and wrap the good side of the handlebar and managed to eff up the bar tape, too. Ugh, oh well. Learn by doing and erring and redoing.

Bleeding the hydraulic system was fairly easy using the specialized tools and instruction video from SRAM. And a new perk of electronic shifting is once I hung the derailleur on the new frame, everything shifted perfectly straight away. No hassling with cable tension. W00t!

To-do: replace and bleed front brake line and then align caliper; wrap left side bar tape; dial in fit; get it all dirty

I made sure to lean the fancy carbon bar directly against the stuccoed wall for DTR.

mlxGN1g.jpg

And it's a recovery week for my century training, so just two 1-hour rides this weekend. I've dusted off my steel 3-speed bike to have a nice cruise somewhere nearby.

Gravel Bike 2.0 is almost done. Actually would be done, but I effed up one of the brake lines so will have to run a new one. I decided to go ahead and wrap the good side of the handlebar and managed to eff up the bar tape, too. Ugh, oh well. Learn by doing and erring and redoing.

Bleeding the hydraulic system was fairly easy using the specialized tools and instruction video from SRAM. And a new perk of electronic shifting is once I hung the derailleur on the new frame, everything shifted perfectly straight away. No hassling with cable tension. W00t!

To-do: replace and bleed front brake line and then align caliper; wrap left side bar tape; dial in fit; get it all dirty

I made sure to lean the fancy carbon bar directly against the stuccoed wall for DTR.

mlxGN1g.jpg

And it's a recovery week for my century training, so just two 1-hour rides this weekend. I've dusted off my steel 3-speed bike to have a nice cruise somewhere nearby.
Such a nice clean ride!
Love to try some wireless shifters.

Such a nice clean ride!
Love to try some wireless shifters.
I have electronic shifting. I was opposed when I was ordering the bike. I thought I’m not a pro who misses a shift and it cost me money. I’m not that lazy that I can’t shift a bike. Then the dealer pointed out no cable adjustments ever. Sign me up and take my money. It’s been flawless for close to 15,000 miles.

I have electronic shifting. I was opposed when I was ordering the bike. I thought I’m not a pro who misses a shift and it cost me money. I’m not that lazy that I can’t shift a bike. Then the dealer pointed out no cable adjustments ever. Sign me up and take my money. It’s been flawless for close to 15,000 miles.
My experience with wireless shifting is much the same. I’m now at two years with it on my most ridden bike. I adjusted it by 1/32 early on and have left it since. I don’t think I could make a 1/32 adjustment on a cable shifter if my life depended on it.

Pedals.....Pedals.....Pedals.....!!!!!

I am looking for some SWEET new pedals for my mountain bike. I was thinking regular platform pedals on one side and click in's on the other side so I could have a variety. If that is a bad idea then I will go straight platform only for this bike.
I use crank brothers on almost everything these days, but keep flats with ‘studs’ on my fattie - mine are Speedplay Mallet. On a multi use trail, you can always get a foot down when someone jumps in front of you. I especially don’t want to be clipped in riding ice, snow, bog. The studs do a great job of keeping your foot from slipping.

I use crank brothers on almost everything these days, but keep flats with ‘studs’ on my fattie - mine are Speedplay Mallet. On a multi use trail, you can always get a foot down when someone jumps in front of you. I especially don’t want to be clipped in riding ice, snow, bog. The studs do a great job of keeping your foot from slipping.
Thank you! I will look into those.

I am amazed at the new clip-less pedals trend. I have not ridden either of my Klein's in 10 years, but I can not imagine not having my feet locked on to the pedals in some way. When I got my first bike that was equipped with toe clips (1981 I believe), it brought a whole new level to my cycling because I could pull up on the back stroke and push down on the front stroke!!! Riding without that option would kill me (well, it would at least slow me down and have me stopping going up hills that I could climb if my feet were clipped in)!!! As for releasing out of clip in pedals, I have had maybe one incident in the 20 years I lived with them where I could not get foot out!!! To each his own, but if I ever do get back on my bicycles (or motorcycles), I will definitely be clipped in (although the flat on one side clip on the other does sound intriguing)! Happy spinnin' bikers!

Last edited:
My left ankle has been bugging me lately, so after a week off I went for a 30km ride to try and beat it into submission...
Also a skunk spewed its weapon all over my back yard last night, so GTFO sounded like a great idea...

Lazy goat... His computer has all the RAM...

Water/NUUN stop...

Heading back...

It's not easy being...

Supplies for the long weekend...

Almost home...

Yup... still stinks of skunk... dang it...

Back