Al Di Meola Prism

terrapatris

hello i am new to the this forum, also new to the guitar world.
i've bought a custom 24 last year and i am thinking to buy another one staying at my office, so i can play it at coffee time.

i am thinking to find a Meola Prism.
is it possible to find a new one? yes, it is a 2008-09 model..... or i have to try to find a 2nd-handed.

i noticed that there are a few with quilt top. is it even harder to find? most of them are 9 top.

on the internet i found most rainbow runs from yellow to green. and some are red to green. is it fake or there is another version of it?

some with hollow birdy inlay and some with firm birds.

any thoughts of about this?

Last edited:
i've bought a custom 24 last year and i am thinking to buy another one staying at my office, so i can play it at coffee time.

is it possible to find a new one? yes, it is a 2008-09 model..... or i have to try to find a 2nd-handed.

i noticed that there are a few with quilt top. is it ever harder to find? most of them are 9 top.

on the internet i found most rainbow runs from yellow to green. and some are red to green. is it fake or there is another version of it?

any thoughts of about ?
Yes.

thanks for the reply. this one from reverb is red, orange yellow green and blue.
and if you check the master Al Di Meola hold, his is yellow orange red blue and green

and also the inlay. i am a newbie i cant post link or pictures.

i noticed that there are a few with quilt top. is it even harder to find? most of them are 9 top.

any thoughts of about this?

Good luck finding an Al D. Very rare.

Does anyone have a price estimate for an early 08-09 Al D Prism? Also, can anyone find one?
After a brief search, I found one on my wall'o'guitars. :p

They seem to go for waaay too much money these days, as do all used guitars, thanks to the pandemic. Compare to a 10-top CU22 of the same vintage, then add at least 20 to 25% due to the unique finish staining, probably more. The cocobolo fretboard is a nice bonus too that adds to the price, I suppose.

But there are none on Reverb right now, and none showing up under "sold" listings (which is weird - I bought mine off Reverb in 2018, maybe that's "too long ago"). None on eBay either.

So...that's not gonna help perceived value-price negotiations...

I completely lucked out and recently found one. Everyone who has either worked on it or played it has asked to buy it. There was a brief period where the seller went dark and I called around the boutique guitar shops in LA and San Diego and they all basically said, "never see them for sale." As a former "Gibson Guy" and buddy gave a killer deal on a SE custom 24-08 in the Ezra Verde so I said sure. After playing that through a weekend I had to find a core model, and the Al Di is what I lucked out with. The sustain is insane on that guitar. I wanted to buy a second one, but I know I won't find one at the price I bought it for. I found an older well used Al Di model, and a similar color scheme on Ebay but in a custom 24 for $11,500. To be completely honest, if a dealer offered a straight trade for the Orthani Model for my Al D, I would personally pass.

Here is one for hand pick up only in Singapore

Here is the custom 24 on ebay

Sorry, off topic here, but if Di Meola tickles your fancy, especially Di Meola Mclaughlin, De Lucia, check out Zorn's guitar trio albums with Julian Lage, Bill Frisell and Gyan Riley. There are a few out now - Virtue and Nove Cantici and another coming out soon - Garden of Forking Paths.

Couldn't find any of the trio in the metaverse, but here's the gist.

Hi!
If you are still interested in buying an AL Di Meola Prism, I have a very special one.
Here's the story:

I have known Al for the past 20 years, and when he knew I was looking for a new electric guitar he offered his help to find me a good one.

When Al signed the deal with PRS they gave him 6 guitars.
One of them ended up in Paul's office, equipped with 57/08 pickups with neck and back colored in white.
Al wrote to Paul and told him to send that guitar to me.
He reluctantly did it (as his secretary wrote in a later email exchange), because it was one of his favorites.
When the guitar arrived, Al signed it for me in the back of the headstock.

I never used it live, only in the studio, and it is a superb guitar.

If you are interested you are welcome to write me with a (reasonable) offer.

Thanks!

PS: you can check pictures at this link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9ay98dzfd76g1vi/AAD0yYkcVPRSpR1NZaTNwdQHa?dl=0

I paid $4800 for mine, and had it shipped from London, because it was the only one I could even find for almost a year, but I wouldn't sell it for $10,000, it's that good. Out of the 16 electric guitars I own, it's literally become the only one I play. I can get any type of sound out of it to fit almost any genre of music, it's that versatile, and the 57/08 pickups are simply the best I've ever heard.

Yes, it's an amazing guitar indeed. Even my luthier, who works on many high end and private collection PRS, was surprised.
Unfortunately, I have to sell it and hopefully pass it to someone who will play it with the same love I did.

Hi!
If you are still interested in buying an AL Di Meola Prism, I have a very special one.
Here's the story:

I have known Al for the past 20 years, and when he knew I was looking for a new electric guitar he offered his help to find me a good one.

When Al signed the deal with PRS they gave him 6 guitars.
One of them ended up in Paul's office, equipped with 57/08 pickups with neck and back colored in white.
Al wrote to Paul and told him to send that guitar to me.
He reluctantly did it (as his secretary wrote in a later email exchange), because it was one of his favorites.
When the guitar arrived, Al signed it for me in the back of the headstock.

I never used it live, only in the studio, and it is a superb guitar.

If you are interested you are welcome to write me with a (reasonable) offer.

Thanks!

PS: you can check pictures at this link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9ay98dzfd76g1vi/AAD0yYkcVPRSpR1NZaTNwdQHa?dl=0
I love the white backing, but I also love the clear finish on mine that shows the incredible grain of the mahogany. It looks like a special guitar, that's for sure, I know I would have one heck of a hard time selling it.

P.S. I contacted Al's people and asked if he would be willing to sign the back plate of my Al D if I sent it to him, and he was gracious enough to write a nice personal message along with his signature. Such a class act.

I keep it in a display case with my PRS Santana plate that he signed for me also. Two prized possessions for sure!

Yes, it's an amazing guitar indeed. Even my luthier, who works on many high end and private collection PRS, was surprised.
Unfortunately, I have to sell it and hopefully pass it to someone who will play it with the same love I did.
Hi Woland, is there any chance your AL Di Meola Prism is still available for sale?

Back