Al D Guitars

Matt H.

Is it just me, or are these guitars so rare that you can barely find a decent review or much information about them?

I was always under the impression it was a Custom 22 with 57/08s and a rainbow finish?
With a coil tap also, though not sure if it applies to both pickups.

I just haven't been able to find much specifics, but you're probably close.

I believe that sums it up!
The staining looks amazing on them! I'm imagining if they had to put that much more effort into the finish, that would apply to the rest of the build, and it makes them pretty special.

I guess it's more personal preference, but I think they look great.

Cocobolo fretboard also - feels really nice and slick.

I love mine. Hmm, need to play it - been a while. maybe tonight!

So, if an Al D Prism is a McCarty with trem, then I do not actually have a CU22-platform PRSi in my collection.

Hmm, might need to fix that...

But I must note that back in 2017 @Shawn@PRS stated the following:

"It was pretty much a Custom 22 with 10 Top, Pattern Regular neck, 57/08 pickups and cocobolo fretboard."

Here, post #9:

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/al-di-meola.26918/

So, CU22 based or McCarty based?

And the confusion continues...

I have seen Cocobolo, Mexican Rosewood, along with Ebony for fretboard wood. I thought the original spec was for Mexican Rosewood, but a special Mahogany neck.

Again, my original question about lack of information seems to stand.

Peruvian Mahogany neck, and Cocobolo fretboard. Not sure why Peruvian vs any other Hog.

Cocobolo is also known as Mexican Rosewood. It is a true Dalbergia (Rosewood).

Maybe some dealers got confused, and said "Mexican ebony", which is Katalox (not really the same species).

I don't believe the Al D was ever actually made with Katalox, but would not be offended if I was wrong.

Oh, and I played mine for a bit last night - very nice. I switched to my Vela half-way through for some slide - for some reason slide is much easier on the Vela - maybe string gauge and action/height? I suspect the Al D has 9s on it. Where are my Calipers?

Peruvian Mahogany neck, and Cocobolo fretboard. Not sure why Peruvian vs any other Hog.

Cocobolo is also known as Mexican Rosewood. It is a true Dalbergia (Rosewood).

Maybe some dealers got confused, and said "Mexican ebony", which is Katalox (not really the same species).

I don't believe the Al D was ever actually made with Katalox, but would not be offended if I was wrong.
Great info, thank you.

So 11 years after the original production, and mostly dead end searches for actual information about the PRS Al D, I am apparently left with the responsibility of actually giving it a solid, unbiased review since there aren't any. I'm still waiting for the guitar from the UK, because for some reason there are more there than in the US as far as I can tell.

I am equally dreading and also excited to do an actual review that seems to fill a hole in the void of this model.

Stay tuned?

So 11 years after the original production, and mostly dead end searches for actual information about the PRS Al D, I am apparently left with the responsibility of actually giving it a solid, unbiased review since there aren't any. I'm still waiting for the guitar from the UK, because for some reason there are more there than in the US as far as I can tell.

I am equally dreading and also excited to do an actual review that seems to fill a hole in the void of this model.

Stay tuned?
Looking forward to it.

Back