A New Member Needs Help :)

Scarfaze

Hello there,

This is my first time on the forum and my first time purchasing a PRS guitar :) I grabbed a deal on a used SE Custom 24 which looks brand new - not even a scratch! The only problem I found is that the action is a bit too high. I know that it can be lowered from the saddles but before I touch it I decided to ask for help as I don't want to damage my instrument. I took some photos of the bridge and neck so that maybe some experienced members can kindly offer their opinions whether they need adjustment ect.

Here is the link:)

http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/Jinbah/library/

Many thanks

Ps. Forgot to mention that the bridge looks slightly tilted to one side (Lower near the lower side - looking at the floor) as seen in the last pic. I also took a pic of the truss rod as I don't know if this is bi flex or traditional.

Last edited:
Lowering the saddles should be no problem. I'm not so sure of the russ rods in the SE editions, maybe contact customer service. I suggest getting a good tech to give the guitar a once over with regards to the bridge.

it is a two way truss rod in SEs and very sensative. I have a se singlecut trem with ridiculously low action but I cant seem to get my se cu22 stoptail nearly as low for some reason. Its still awesome and not too high but the trem guitar was pretty easy for me to set up to extreamely low action without any problems whatsoever.

As CatStrangler said, adjusting the saddles should be no problem. But be delicate with the truss rod if you end up adjusting it. They are far more sensative and responsive to very little adjustment than any other guitars ive set up.

Thanks very much for all your replies. To me the neck looks a bit too curved but im not sure if this is normal. One other concern is the tremolo. As you can see from the pics, it is tilted sideways. How do I fix this? Ive read that adjusting the screws is dangerous because of the knife edges. Has anyone had a tremolo like this or is mine damaged? Thanks again and sorry for all the newbie questions:)

And thanks for the vid btw. Pretty interesting. Will use it for sure once i fix the birdge tilt problem.

From the one photo, it does look like you could adjust (tighten) the truss rod...but remember to do small increments (sp??) at a time...with the proper tool, turn it clockwise about 1/4 of a turn, (when starting and on the truss rod nut, the tool handle should be close to touching the "G" string, and when done, it will be touching the "D" string) and let it sit, and do this later in the day again, if you want the neck straighter...
a couple notes...do NOT turn more than a quarter turn at any time, and don't force it...if it doesn't turn, it may be maxed out, which is not a good thing, but I have adjusted many SE's and they all have straightened out nicely. Also, basic rule of thumb, lower action means more fret buzz, so if you have a heavy touch, you might want to keep some relief (bow) in the neck.
Hope this helps.

Just outa curiosity, hows it coming scarfaze? U get the results you were lookin for?

Back