A little over 24 hours in

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a FE'er but it could be. The globe is the dumbest concept ever. I think that the inventors of the globe concept had evil intentions and it carried through to today.
Actually a globe is the only geometric shape available if you believe the planets started out in an accretion disk. The bombardment of thousands of dust and rock pieces over millennia will produce a sphere...every time. That's why every planet is a sphere, and the surface shows the bombardment.

Almost cost Galileo his head...

You may like a book I found fascinating. "Zero - The Biography of a Dangerous Idea" by Charles Seife.

Right now I'm interested in infinite sums. Especially Sum(1+2+3+4....... ) = -1/12 Logic says it can never happen, but string theory of quantum mechanics, they require it in order to be able to define all the dimensions.

I will check that one out. The history of zero as a concept is fascinating and not a simple one either.

Ah yes, the infinite sum that adds up to -1/12. See, this is what I mean, its bewildering and often defies expectations of what one thinks should be logical, yet...it works. Infinity is a wacky concept unto itself. I can barely make sense of these different infinities, I think it requires more abstract thinking. I think that's why some of the best math wizards I know are on the spectrum.

Actually a globe is the only geometric shape available if you believe the planets started out in an accretion disk. The bombardment of thousands of dust and rock pieces over millennia will produce a sphere...every time. That's why every planet is a sphere, and the surface shows the bombardment.
If it's created from an intelligent creator it makes sense. Going with a big bang theory is creation based on nothing coming from no where with no evidence. All you have to do is repeat "billions and billions and billions of years" until you'll agree with anything.

Dude they aren't even in space. Space isn't real.

Dude they aren't even in space. Space isn't real.

Just because you can't or don't want to understand it, does not make it false.

The existence of the southern celestial pole is enough to prove it the Earth is a sphere. There is literally no other shape that would allow you to see the sky rotating with two axial points as we see it. A Sphere is simply...a given. Equatorial mount telescopes only work on a spheroid Earth. We can also see the logical evolution in shape of asteroids from potato shaped objects, then slowly as they become larger they become more circular, until you get something like Ceres. A 600 mile wide asteroid that is a sphere.

If it's created from an intelligent creator it makes sense. Going with a big bang theory is creation based on nothing coming from no where with no evidence. All you have to do is repeat "billions and billions and billions of years" until you'll agree with anything.

And there we go. The universe is made by a magic sky wizard. Well, hate to break it to you, he's not very intelligent. Just ask the dinosaurs. Or better yet, next time a solar matter ejection disrupts our communication systems. Or the fact our trachea is right next to our esophagus, and if it wasn't for a tiny flap of tissue, we would choke all the time. For the record, I do not discount the idea that a powerful entity may be out there, or responsible for reality as we know it, but I doubt its anything remotely humanoid or understandable by our feeble brains. Likely a more abstract concept of being. That's a topic for another time though.

Last edited:
I can agree with the concept of an intelligent creator, but it has been my experience that he is not only intelligent, but logical and his methods repeatable. That is why so much of the physical world is logical and repeatable. To then say that in this one instance he decides to throw us a curve ball, well, it's improbable. Odds are he stayed with the logical plan.

...And there we go. The universe is made by a magic sky wizard. Well, hate to break it to you, he's not very intelligent. Just ask the dinosaurs. Or better yet, next time a solar matter ejection disrupts our communication systems. Or the fact our trachea is right next to our esophagus, and if it wasn't for a tiny flap of tissue, we would choke all the time.
I would be right there with you if not for some spiritual experiences that teach me otherwise. I do not believe he is a "God of the gaps", and I do believe everything we discover about the physical universe is just learning how he does it. It bothers me not in the least that others believe differently. Just discovering the physical universe is fun all by itself.

I would be right there with you if not for some spiritual experiences that teach me otherwise. I do not believe he is a "God of the gaps", and I do believe everything we discover about the physical universe is just learning how he does it. It bothers me not in the least that others believe differently. Just discovering the physical universe is fun all by itself.

Agreed. I expanded my intitial answer. I can never disprove the existence of anything resembling a "God", and it's not important to, and I have no desire to insult another's religious or spiritual beliefs. I personally think such a thing is far more abstract of a concept, and likely more...intimate. Perhaps echoing Daoist or Zen philosophies on nature of being.

Just because you can't or don't want to understand it, does not make it false.

The existence of the southern celestial pole is enough to prove it the Earth is a sphere. There is literally no other shape that would allow you to see the sky rotating with two axial points as we see it. A Sphere is simply...a given. Equatorial mount telescopes only work on a spheroid Earth. We can also see the logical evolution in shape of asteroids from potato shaped objects, then slowly as they become larger they become more circular, until you get something like Ceres. A 600 mile wide asteroid that is a sphere.

And there we go. The universe is made by a magic sky wizard. Well, hate to break it to you, he's not very intelligent. Just ask the dinosaurs. Or better yet, next time a solar matter ejection disrupts our communication systems. Or the fact our trachea is right next to our esophagus, and if it wasn't for a tiny flap of tissue, we would choke all the time. For the record, I do not discount the idea that a powerful entity may be out there, or responsible for reality as we know it, but I doubt its anything remotely humanoid or understandable by our feeble brains. Likely a more abstract concept of being. That's a topic for another time though.
Dinosaurs seem to be a hoax invented in the 1800's. The skeletons you see in museums are all pieced together from like 1 or 2 bones. To have huge reptiles that need to eat that much to keep their weight up is unreasonable. It's good for movies though.

Dinosaurs seem to be a hoax invented in the 1800's. The skeletons you see in museums are all pieced together from like 1 or 2 bones. To have huge reptiles that need to eat that much to keep their weight up is unreasonable. It's good for movies though.

Oh lawd. Lawd, help me.

First, how do you know it's unreasonable? The blue whale is larger than any dinosaur, heavier than any dinosaur, but they are living right now. They eat nothing but krill, little bitty stupid shrimp, yet somehow, its enough to support their 100+ ton weight.

Second, lookup Sue the T'Rex please before you egg yourself again.

Third, most dinosaurs were more pedestrian in size. The velociraptors from Jurassic Park? They are actually the size of dogs.

Fourth...ain't this a forum about guitars and Japanese sandwiches?

Last edited:
Folks, I need to apologize on behalf of my entire industry. Our quality control isn’t what it should be. We put out clunkers, we know we put them out, and we don’t put any kind of warning label on them. At first glance, you might think they’re just like any of the others. Once you start to play with one of our clunkers, you realize how defective it is.

No, believe it or not, I don’t work for Gibson. I work in education.

Folks, I need to apologize on behalf of my entire industry. Our quality control isn’t what it should be. We put out clunkers, we know we put them out, and we don’t put any kind of warning label on them. At first glance, you might think they’re just like any of the others. Once you start to play with one of our clunkers, you realize how defective it is.

Bwahahahahahaha!!!

Yeah keep teaching the kids rovers are on mars when in reality they are on an abandoned island in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back