A funny thing happened on the way to band practice...

watelessness

Yeah, so last week I had this epiphany during band practice, and turned down the channel volume and cranked the master on my Archon 100 in half power mode. I got all kinds of headroom and was able to use my pick pressure to control volume, which was a very strange concept, almost as if I am becoming a musician or something. Yet even in 50 watt mode that amp is too big for our practice room.

So this week I used the Archon 25 in half power mode, again cranking the master but cutting the channel volume. It was much better but I'm not sure I like the speaker in the Archon combo.

It really never ends does it?

With those 5881s, maybe a more American-voiced speaker with stronger bass response might help. And yeah, it never ends. Confucius nailed it.

Definitely experiment. That was my big lesson from last weekend. Not just turning the master up and channel down, definitely fine tune those values as well. It's like the shower knobs in hotels -- way too cold too cold too cold too cold cold perfect hot too hot too hot too hot way too hot...

Oh, it definitely ends. You just won't be happy with the outcome.

My old girlfriend wasn't happy at the end. At least I don't think so - her voice was kind of muffled, what with the pillow and all.

That suggestion that you eat her probably didn't involve death and cooking. Just a thought.

Last edited:
And what your hands can't control, dial back the volume on the guitar. Contrary to some thoughts, those knobs really do turn.

And what your hands can't control, dial back the volume on the guitar. Contrary to some thoughts, those knobs really do turn.

Which works especially well when the master is up and the channel gain is not-so-up!

Thanks for sharing the story!

I had an Archon 25 Combo, really dug it!

I dug it more so with the internal speaker unplugged, and plugged into a a closed-back cab.

PRS really needs to come out with a Head version of the 25!! ;)

Yeah, so last week I had this epiphany during band practice, and turned down the channel volume and cranked the master on my Archon 100 in half power mode. I got all kinds of headroom and was able to use my pick pressure to control volume, which was a very strange concept, almost as if I am becoming a musician or something. Yet even in 50 watt mode that amp is too big for our practice room.

So this week I used the Archon 25 in half power mode, again cranking the master but cutting the channel volume. It was much better but I'm not sure I like the speaker in the Archon combo.

It really never ends does it?
Nope - & what sounds good today may not sound good tomorrow...........

Back