85/15s vs TCI-S custom 24 which is closer to Dragon 1/2 pickups?

drusso5

I am looking to buy a PRS SE custom 24 or 2408 and so far I have discovered that I really like the sound of dragon 1 and dragon 2 pickups the most.
However, they are a bit pricey for me to populate an SE guitar with currently.
I have heard that the Seymour Duncan JB is a similar sounding, cheaper option when you compare the pickups.
I am just afraid of it being overly harsh and bright compared to the dragons.
I like the low-end chug of the dragon 1/2 whilst still having clarity in high-gain situations.

So out of the se custom 24 (85/15s) and se custom 2408 (tci-s) which do you think is closer to those dragons?
is it worth swapping the pickups from the stock, most people say that the JB is similar to the 85/15s?

What do you think?

If you like both versions of dragon pickups I would sit back and frequent for sale sites and wait for a well priced set of dragon 2s.

D1s will be difficult to afford. My buddy got super lucky on a set of D1s this month but that won't happen again.

If you like both versions of dragon pickups I would sit back and frequent for sale sites and wait for a well priced set of dragon 2s.

D1s will be difficult to afford. My buddy got super lucky on a set of D1s this month but that won't happen again.
do the SE and JB pickups sound even a smidge close to those older pickups or am I really just going to have to go for dragon 2.

You will get close-ish. D2’s are usually readily available and not overly expensive.

As gush mentioned, I snagged a cheap set of D1’s but they usually are listed for over $400 these days.

Back