594 tuning as stable as 24?

No locking tuners?
That’s a good point because I didn’t know 594’s came without them.
I like to be able to change strings in 5 minutes so that’s a big deal for me.
Great info.
Thanks
PRS isn't offering Soapbar 594s currently.

There was a limited run of 594s with Soapbars that do have the Phase III locking tuners. In fact, I have one. Last time I looked there were a handful on Reverb.

594s originally came with the locking tuners. I think they only changed to the vintage style a year or two ago. You should be able to find plenty on the market if it's important.

Tuning stability is as it is with my other PRSes - stellar. The neck is the best part, for me - but whether a neck feels good is something that only the individual player can decide.

Here's mine:

3pWl0Kp.png

There was a limited run of 594s with Soapbars that do have the Phase III locking tuners. In fact, I have one. Last time I looked there were a handful on Reverb.

594s originally came with the locking tuners. I think they only changed to the vintage style a year or two ago. You should be able to find plenty on the market if it's important.

Tuning stability is as it is with my other PRSes - stellar. The neck is the best part, for me - but whether a neck feels good is something that only the individual player can decide.

Here's mine:

3pWl0Kp.png
Wouldn’t black pickups look better on our guitar?

Wouldn’t black pickups look better on our guitar?
Personal taste, of course! I figure the cream picks up the cream binding, cream colored bone nut, and there's nothing black on the guitar. So for me, the cream works, especially with the brown shades in the finish.

However, black would be nice, too, and I'd never say it's wrong if you decide to swap out the covers!

If I made any change in the guitar, it'd be to put the faux bone tuning buttons on to match everything else. But I've been saying that since 2018, so...yeah. I'm slow on the trigger.

How do you like the guitar?

Personal taste, of course! I figure the cream picks up the cream binding, cream colored bone nut, and there's nothing black on the guitar. So for me, the cream works, especially with the brown shades in the finish.

However, black would be nice, too, and I'd never say it's wrong if you decide to swap out the covers!

If I made any change in the guitar, it'd be to put the faux bone tuning buttons on to match everything else. But I've been saying that since 2018, so...yeah. I'm slow on the trigger.

How do you like the guitar?
I don’t have it yet. I’ll be trying it on the 8th I believe.

My 594 stays in tune better than any guitar I've ever had. I do not baby this thing. It didn't come with their locking tuners, just the vintage style, but don't have any fear of tuning stability.
This. I bought phase 3 tuners for mine that I planned to replace the vintage tuners with but haven’t gotten around to it since the current ones are working well enough.

Here's mine:

3pWl0Kp.png
Absolutely stunning! Beautiful guitar. What's the guitars name?

I just picked up the 594 Soapy.
I can’t actually feel that the neck is slightly asymmetrical however I can feel that my left hand is very comfortable with it.

As users have stated, “it absolutely stays in tune”.

Now it’s time to enjoy the guitar and tweak my settings for the P90s.

Very nice.
Thanks for the advice.

I just picked up the 594 Soapy.
I can’t actually feel that the neck is slightly asymmetrical however I can feel that my left hand is very comfortable with it.

As users have stated, “it absolutely stays in tune”.

Now it’s time to enjoy the guitar and tweak my settings for the P90s.

Very nice.
Thanks for the advice.
Congrats on your NGD and hope we helped allay any concerns, as well as help you understand the 'causes' of tuning instability.

You have to remember that when Gibson made their 'Les Paul', they went with a 'traditional' headstock design not designed for big bends etc and if the nut isn't cut absolutely perfectly, much harder to do with the angle the String is pulled from the nut to the tuner, you are more likely to have tuning stability issues. A straight string pull is a lot easier to cut a nut for. That's why Gibsons have that reputation and why String Butlers or lubricating your nuts (o_O) can resolve the issue.

Anyway, enjoy your new guitar...

Last edited:
Can we assume that PRS added the .94 for good reason?

Last edited:
Can we assume that PRS added the .94 for good reason?

Its 'historical' - In the 50s, Gibson's scale length was 24.594 inches not the quoted 24.75-inches and as they were trying to offer a 'Vintage' 50's inspired instrument as 'few' if any these days can really get a '50's' Les Paul these days, PRS made the 594. He even 'destroyed' a vintage pickup to try and understand what made it 'special'.

The 594 isn't necessarily 'just' a Les Paul alternative, but more a 'Vintage' LP alternative as few will ever get to own, let alone play a real vintage instrument...

Its 'historical' - In the 50s, Gibson's scale length was 24.594 inches not the quoted 24.75-inches and as they were trying to offer a 'Vintage' 50's inspired instrument as 'few' if any these days can really get a '50's' Les Paul these days, PRS made the 594. He even 'destroyed' a vintage pickup to try and understand what made it 'special'.

The 594 isn't necessarily 'just' a Les Paul alternative, but more a 'Vintage' LP alternative as few will ever get to own, let alone play a real vintage instrument...
I see. Thanks for the reply.

Back