CE 24 Tremolo Screws Height? Tuning Instability

bjensen

Hey everyone,

I have a CE 24 and am experiencing tuning instability.

I've been playing in e standard and eflat. When I'm in e flat my floating bridge is no longer parallel with the body but dips due to less tension.

As I've been doing research on the tremolo and things to look at when experiencing tuning instability, I also noticed my tremelo screws don't appear to be completely even. The one that's parallel with my 6th E string seems a little higher and I've heard this is no good.

Two questions:

1. I can't find factory specs for how high the tremolo screws should be?

2. Does anyone else have a CE 24 and regularly adjusts the tuning from standard to eflat?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Welcome Brian! ;)

1. here's a video from John Mann illustrating the tremolo screw specs and how to perform the setup. You can fast forward to about the 8:30 mark to get to setting the screw height.

2. As far as the tuning from a standard to e flat, you already stated the tremolo dips due to less tension on the strings, to compensate, you can remove the back cover and loosen the tremolo claw springs to bring the trem back to level/parallel with body. That will help the tuning stability.

Hey everyone,

I have a CE 24 and am experiencing tuning instability.

I've been playing in e standard and eflat. When I'm in e flat my floating bridge is no longer parallel with the body but dips due to less tension.

As I've been doing research on the tremolo and things to look at when experiencing tuning instability, I also noticed my tremelo screws don't appear to be completely even. The one that's parallel with my 6th E string seems a little higher and I've heard this is no good.

Two questions:

1. I can't find factory specs for how high the tremolo screws should be?

2. Does anyone else have a CE 24 and regularly adjusts the tuning from standard to eflat?

Thanks in advance.

Brian
The video that's posted is good advise.

I've learned that it is important to have trem screws set at the recommended height. If they're too high then that could cause problems when trying to intonate. You can run out of range on saddle screw and a string may always be sharp or flat.

Remember to never adjust fulcrum screws with tension on them. You will damage them .

When going back and forth from standard to Eb tuning you definitely have to adjust trem claw. When going to Eb, adjust the two claw screws out 1/4 to 1/2 turn out. Retune and see where you are.

Check your PMs.

It would be nice if you had two guitars. One tuned to E and one to Eb.

Because it's time consuming to get a tremolo set up to work in one tuning, and when you retune to the other you literally have to start all over again adjusting the spring tension around the back.

Maybe decide on E or Eb and stick to one or the other?

It'd make life a lot easier for you.

Welcome Brian! ;)

1. here's a video from John Mann illustrating the tremolo screw specs and how to perform the setup. You can fast forward to about the 8:30 mark to get to setting the screw height.

2. As far as the tuning from a standard to e flat, you already stated the tremolo dips due to less tension on the strings, to compensate, you can remove the back cover and loosen the tremolo claw springs to bring the trem back to level/parallel with body. That will help the tuning stability.

Thank you for the welcome. This video is great and exactly what I needed!

It would be nice if you had two guitars. One tuned to E and one to Eb.

Because it's time consuming to get a tremolo set up to work in one tuning, and when you retune to the other you literally have to start all over again adjusting the spring tension around the back.

Maybe decide on E or Eb and stick to one or the other?

It'd make life a lot easier for you.

Agreed, I do have another guitar (LTD) which I'll have to use for my Eb tuning.

The video that's posted is good advise.

I've learned that it is important to have trem screws set at the recommended height. If they're too high then that could cause problems when trying to intonate. You can run out of range on saddle screw and a string may always be sharp or flat.

Remember to never adjust fulcrum screws with tension on them. You will damage them .

When going back and forth from standard to Eb tuning you definitely have to adjust trem claw. When going to Eb, adjust the two claw screws out 1/4 to 1/2 turn out. Retune and see where you are.

Check your PMs.

Thanks for the reminder to remove all tension when adjusting the tremolo screws. Because I change tunings so frequently, I think my PRS will need to be an E standard guitar.

Thanks for the reminder to remove all tension when adjusting the tremolo screws. Because I change tunings so frequently, I think my PRS will need to be an E standard guitar.
I play a lot of acoustic guitar and play in four different tunings: Standard (EADGBE), D (DADF#AD), G (DGDGBD) and DADGAD.

Just so I don't wear out strings and so I don't take forever to retune onstage I bring three guitars.

One in standard, one in G and one in D. The one in D I only have to retune the G string to get DADGAD.

Back