594 tuning as stable as 24?

Going down a gauge is less likely to cause any issues with the way the nut was cut as it's only slightly 'smaller' in diameter, so not going to 'catch' or increase the friction at the nut to cause Tuning issues, if you were going up in gauges, you may need to widen the slots a 'bit' to prevent increased friction affecting tuning, but a gauge either way is 'generally' OK
I just picked up a McCarty 594 SE and I think it came with 10's. I am planning to put 9's on it. It sounds like since I an going down, it shouldn't be an issue. I was concerned about that.

Thanks for the info.

Here's mine:

3pWl0Kp.png
It’s the perfect guitar for me.
The neck is amazing!!!
It took me 42 years (of playing) to find My Guitar.

It’s the perfect guitar for me.
The neck is amazing!!!
It took me 42 years (of playing) to find My Guitar.
Glad you have found your guitar and I hope it brings you a lot of enjoyment...

I love my 594's. I started on an Epiphone Les Paul Custom so the Layout is perhaps the one I have most familiarity with, but there was something Special about the 594 to me that I have not found in any Gibson Les Paul I've tried - there was always something that I wasn't 'comfortable' spending that amount of money on, but as soon as I picked up a 594, I didn't hesitate and, like every other PRS, is perfectly stable - thanks to the Headstock design allowing straight string pull through a well cut nut which ALL PRS guitars share...

And I agree about the neck too - as soon as I picked it up, it felt like it had been played for years, broken/worn in by my own hands it fits that well...

This is my first 594 - a 2016 (year they were introduced) model.
qPec9fE.jpg

I also have a 2019 594 HBii as well...
vTZuoJh.jpg

I do like the Double Faux/Scrape binding you get with Hollowbody guitars and the Back looks stunning too...
F0CM1FL.jpg

Anyway - Enjoy your guitar!

Last edited:
Is a hollow body PRS an all maple body?
Not usually. They make core HB's by hollowing out a Slab of Mahogany to create the sides of the Guitar with a 'Carved' Maple top (like a Semi-Hollow or Solid PRS) and a Carved Maple Back.

SE's are different in that they are made more like a 335 using Laminate sheets - but even those have 'Mahogany' in the middle

I would love to spend a day in the PRS plant.
When I visit our guitar tech he has a hard time ushering me out sometimes.
He’ll say quietly “I’d better get back to work” as his wife hovers somewhere in the house.

I would love to spend a day in the PRS plant.
When I visit our guitar tech he has a hard time ushering me out sometimes.
He’ll say quietly “I’d better get back to work” as his wife hovers somewhere in the house.

Hopefully there will be an Experience next year and you'll be able to attend. You'll be able to spend a ton of time in the factory. It's different when it's up and running (been there for a tour, too - awesome to see and smell), but you can see a lot.

The 594 is the most pitch-stable guitar I've ever owned. I can pick one up months later and it's still in tune.
I played mine for a few hours yesterday and I’m really pleased with it.
This one is a Soapy. Fantastic snappiness happening there.
I’ve always preferred single coil cleanliness and this one is delivering that for me.
Tickled pink…if I’m allowed to say that.

Last edited:
Back