58/15 LT pickup

Cool. Thanks for the reply. I’m thinking about swapping in an A5 or two A5s. I’m finding it a little too dark and rounded for my liking. I’m using it in a Vela with a Lollar Firebird in the neck.

I had the TCI versions of the 58/15 LT in my Hollowbody II and felt the same way about them being too dark. Never really bonded with them…

I just ordered an A5…I really think that will get it more to my liking.
I actually did this with a 490R in one of my LPs years ago and the change was unbelievable, much more clarity. I thought about doing the same thing this time around, but I wanted the ability to coil-split and my 58/15 LTs were 2-conductor only...

I actually did this with a 490R in one of my LPs years ago and the change was unbelievable, much more clarity. I thought about doing the same thing this time around, but I wanted the ability to coil-split and my 58/15 LTs were 2-conductor only...
Clarity is definitely what I’m aiming for. The Lollar Firebird is one of the most beautiful, clear, and dynamic pickups I’ve ever heard. Especially for a neck pickup. So the balance is pretty off right now.

My 58/15 LT is a two wire and it’s split. The white wire goes to the tone push/pull.

For me, dialing in my pickups with a magnet swap is standard procedure.

Like setting up a floating tremolo.

Or setting the action and intonation.

Or doing a little fret level and polish.

And it seems like I learn something new every time I do a magnet swap.

Clarity is definitely what I’m aiming for. The Lollar Firebird is one of the most beautiful, clear, and dynamic pickups I’ve ever heard. Especially for a neck pickup. So the balance is pretty off right now.
My 58/15 LT is a two wire and it’s split. The white wire goes to the tone push/pull.
That's great! You're definitely luckier than I was, mine were straight 2-conductor with no white coil tap.

For me, dialing in my pickups with a magnet swap is standard procedure.

Like setting up a floating tremolo.

Or setting the action and intonation.

Or doing a little fret level and polish.

And it seems like I learn something new every time I do a magnet swap.
I feel this. Difference can be dramatic!

I recently replaced the A2’s in my McCarty korina’s SD Antiquities p90s for some A3’s, and “WOW!” What a nice change. Very p90, but not so muffled.

I recently replaced the A2’s in my McCarty korina’s SD Antiquities p90s for some A3’s, and “WOW!” What a nice change. Very p90, but not so muffled.
I like Alnico 3 in a neck humbucker. It's not as strong as A2, A4 or A5 but it's strong enough and it brings a clearer tone.

A3 nudges the tone very slightly into single coil territory.

It's partially my hearing loss but neck humbuckers have always sounded a little muddy to me when I turn my guitar's volume control down.

I like Strats so I'm always looking for a little of that kind of sound from a neck humbucker when I'm playing chords.

This is cool information. Next time I will try an Alnico III in the neck, love the SC reference. I like the V a lot better for neck application than the II, but it has a little too much bass. The III might fix that.

This is cool information. Next time I will try an Alnico III in the neck, love the SC reference. I like the V a lot better for neck application than the II, but it has a little too much bass. The III might fix that.
The 3’s will definitely do that. I used to run A3’s in the neck and A2/A3 in the bridge of the p90s, but eventually switched to all A3’s.

Back