57/08’s Should Just Be PRS’ Default Pickups.

I was thinking about how much I love the 57/08 pickups while playing my 57/08 equipped McCarty Singlecut today. This isn’t to say that the 58/15 LTs aren’t great, because they’re also excellent pickups, and I’m glad I have them on one of my guitars.

But I think the 57/08s are amazing pickups.

I love the 57/08s too, along with the variety of PRS OEM pups I have in my various PRSi. But there is a recent thread here where someone swapped out 57/08s for BKPs of some type (Mules, IIRC), and someone else chimed in with a similar statement.

Weird how pups can be such a personal taste thing!

But there would still be those people who insist on buying aftermarket pickups because.... well, just because! (it's either that or urinate on the guitar to mark ownership? I dunno.)
I love the 57/08s too, along with the variety of PRS OEM pups I have in my various PRSi. But there is a recent thread here where someone swapped out 57/08s for BKPs of some type (Mules, IIRC), and someone else chimed in with a similar statement.

Well.... some people just wanna watch the world burn. :p

Or 57/08 & 59/09 combo option :D:D

I’m totally down with that as well.

I might have been the chimer on that one - I should point out I have 57/08's in my 245 (and also in my G singlecut) and really like them on both those guitars, so I apologise if I suggested the 57/08's were somehow inferior. I just prefer mules in my HB as the balance between neck and bridge is much better. Not sure why the balance was so off, but the exact same pickups in my LP don't have the same issue.

But there would still be those people who insist on buying aftermarket pickups because.... well, just because! (it's either that or urinate on the guitar to mark ownership? I dunno.)
I do see some people throw around 'upgraded' far too often when changing things that don't need to be changed, especially in value guitar lines, but at PRS core level, pickup changes are about finding a different great sound. Not better, but a different flavor - a personal flavor perhaps.

And it's like getting a whole new guitar too which can be reversed if needed (for resale etc.)

It used to be really common that folks would buy a new PRS and swap the pickups out for their favorite Duncans or Wagners or burstbuckers or whatever. The 57/08 and later pickups certainly changed that! It still happens a little, but it's nowhere near as common as it used to be. I love the 57/08s, maybe even a little more the 59/09s. I'm on the fence about the 58/18 LTs.

But as I said on another forum not long ago, if you've got pre-57/08 pickups in your Core PRS, change 'em! Unless you play a Boogie, in which case the existing pickups are probably perfect for you.

Lately, I've been having an increasingly difficult time finding a "favorite" pickup. Everything from the 57/08's to the 59/09's to the 58/15MT's in my 24-08 have all blown me away. Now I have the 85/15 TCI's in the 35th Anniversary and am completely enamored with them.

PRS just makes incredible pickups.

I’m of the opinion that the 57/08s are like a fullback running up the middle and moving the pile to score a touchdown. Sheer will and power.

The 58/15s and LTs are like the QB connecting with an end on a fade. Subtle moves.

I suppose you can tell it’s bowl season.

Back