53/10s in HB2 ?

Actually Boogie - that guitar has Archtop pups in it....my Bernie has 53/10's.

Starla pups are amazing. And they pair perfectly with a hot lipstick pickup.

(sorry for the crappy iPhone pic)

BMFv3_Starla.jpg

Last edited:
:p

For some reason, I saw your post about the HB and immediately assumed it has Starla's in it. Didn't it??? Was that an SE?

After you *****-slapped me for getting crazy with the cheeze-whiz, I re-read your post and saw that it had Archtops in it.

I have an SE with Starlas in it. I love it, but she is going on the chopping block after playing the SE One that I got.....

I'm sorry man...:)

LOL! It's all good bro. I'm the one suffering from dementia. There was so much musical crack that night I lost track. Heck, it wasn't the JCM800 I played thru, either. We blew a fuse in the 800...must have been his JTM?? Regardless...your HBII sounded fookin' awesome thru that Marshall half stack. The One needs to go for a spin around that block, too. ;)

LOL! It's all good bro. I'm the one suffering from dementia. There was so much musical crack that night I lost track. Heck, it wasn't the JCM800 I played thru, either. We blew a fuse in the 800...must have been his JTM?? Regardless...your HBII sounded fookin' awesome thru that Marshall half stack. The One needs to go for a spin around that block, too. ;)

Oh it does!!! I need to call Jeff STAT!!!!!

Please let me know how that sounds? I have been considering the same thing.....

I will, but it may not be until next year now, as need earn some more good behaviour points after just buying the HB2.

Hi, first time here.

I have a 25th HB2 with 57/08s which are great but I was thinking of putting them in my old McCarty.

Would you advise me to either
a) get 53/10s in the HB2
b) just get another set of 57/08s for the McCarty

Thanks for your help.
Neither. As a big new fan of Starla's, I've gotta believe they'd sound fantastic in a HB. I know that there were some small runs made like that, and I heard glowing reports.

What are the characteristics of the Starla pickups?

What are the characteristics of the Starla pickups?
Sweet, clear, bell like tones, with exceptional string-to-string balance and definition throughout the range. They share some characteristics with Filtertrons, most notably that certain tenor and chime, but are fuller and less compressed. They can seamlessly go from a rich, reedy jazz tone on the neck, to a fat, driven, bluesy vibe, and have enough oomph to push any amp to its sweet spot. I think they're brilliant pickups all around, whose virtues are somewhat under recognized to this point within the PRS line. Ever since I got my Starla I've been thinking about how ideally suited the pickups would be for a HB. And BTW, they can be tapped as well for even more versatility (Starla's come equipped with a push/pull pot).

Last edited:
I have often thought of having Starlas installed in my HB II...but I keep chickening out.
Be bold, go for it! I spoke with Eric Martin about that (Martin Music), who had a small run of HB's done that way. He's such a fan of that set up that he's of the belief that HB's should come with Starla pickups, or at least be offered as a regular option.

Back