53/10s in HB2 ?

Gtrnut

Hi, first time here.

I have a 25th HB2 with 57/08s which are great but I was thinking of putting them in my old McCarty.

Would you advise me to either
a) get 53/10s in the HB2
b) just get another set of 57/08s for the McCarty

Thanks for your help.

I've had both in my HBII, I prefer the 53/10's. They are awesome, more clarity than the 57/08's in my opinion. And they can be coil tapped.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys,

Could you tell me more about the starla pickups in comparision to the 53 or 57 as I have not heard them.
Which pickups blend with the piezo the best? The 57s seem have a similar top end which is why I was thinking about the 53s but did not want make it too mellow.

I've had both in my HBII, I prefer the 53/10's. They are awesome, more clarity than the 57/08's in my opinion. And they can be coil tapped.

Thanks LTD what styles do you play and what amp are you using?
I need to cover most styles but mainly clean, blues and rock.

I should clarify... Starla's in a HB "through a Chimey amp - like an AC15, Bad Cat, 65 Amps London, etc."

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;29011 said:
I should clarify... Starla's in a HB "through a Chimey amp - like an AC15, Bad Cat, 65 Amps London, etc."

Ok thanks [-] I have a GP3 / 2502 rack so it is very clear and fat so the 53s and 57s might be better.

I play through a Fender Twin, and I think the 53/10's lend themselves perfectly to the warmth and clarity of any amp with a 6L6/6V6 type tube sound (I'm all about a good clean tone, and I use OD pedals). I play similar styles: blues, rock, jazz... they're versatile. Vintage-y, and the edge is there if you want it. I lowered mine a bit (16th of an inch or so )and it really brings out the hollow-woody tone of the hollowbody.

I play through a Fender Twin, and I think the 53/10's lend themselves perfectly to the warmth and clarity of any amp with a 6L6/6V6 type tube sound (I'm all about a good clean tone, and I use OD pedals). I play similar styles: blues, rock, jazz... they're versatile. Vintage-y, and the edge is there if you want it. I lowered mine a bit (16th of an inch or so )and it really brings out the hollow-woody tone of the hollowbody.

I am starting to lean towards the 53s in the HB, Thanks LJT.

Dane's employee HBII sounded amazing with the 53/10s...especially thru an old JCM800+1960a. I know, crazy, eh? :D But the warmth prevailed and was a great experience. The guitar (and pups) made the amp.

Dane's employee HBII sounded amazing with the 53/10s...especially thru an old JCM800+1960a. I know, crazy, eh? :D But the warmth prevailed and was a great experience. The guitar (and pups) made the amp.

Actually Boogie - that guitar has Archtop pups in it....my Bernie has 53/10's.

I'm using my SC58 with 53/10s and getting absolutely wonderful results. Having had essentially the same guitar with 57/08s, here's my take on the differences:

The 53/10s are a little rounder on the attack of the note, and clean up really well with the volume control but retain their openness and clarity. The 57/08s are a little hotter, have a sharper note attack, especially at the bridge position, and are a bit closer to a PAF to my ear.

With the 53/10s, I can get beautiful clean tones with the volume rolled way back, even when I've got the HXDA's gain set pretty high. Then I can roll the volumes up and the thing rocks pretty hard. These pickups are great for having those kinds of choices.

I'm using my SC58 with 53/10s and getting absolutely wonderful results. Having had essentially the same guitar with 57/08s, here's my take on the differences:

The 53/10s are a little rounder on the attack of the note, and clean up really well with the volume control but retain their openness and clarity. The 57/08s are a little hotter, have a sharper note attack, especially at the bridge position, and are a bit closer to a PAF to my ear.

With the 53/10s, I can get beautiful clean tones with the volume rolled way back, even when I've got the HXDA's gain set pretty high. Then I can roll the volumes up and the thing rocks pretty hard. These pickups are great for having those kinds of choices.

Thanks, sounds like I will be happy with the 53s in the HB then.

Decided to go for new 53/10s in the HB2 and put it's 57/08s in my McCarty.

Thanks for your help guys, your advise made my decision much easier.

Back