2020 DGT finish

Rollylama

Looks like they’re using a nitro topcoat on the DGT now. Is the v12 under it or something else? Anybody know what’s going on here?

thanks!

she’s built like a car
oh yeah

1f556de43732c6b99d7b832b6d17da5d.jpg

Per the website "For 2020, PRS has updated this model with a nitro over celluose (CAB) finish."
Mine smelled very strong at first but I left it out with a ceiling fan and the smell diminished after about a week.
Its a very nice finish different from the rest of the herd. Mine is a 2020 DGT and its my favorite in the herd.

I appreciate it! What was on it leading into ‘20? Were 18/19 the v12? I can’t keep up

I appreciate it! What was on it leading into ‘20? Were 18/19 the v12? I can’t keep up
I don't think they ever said what the finish was actually called in recent years. At least I don't ever remember seeing something specific like CAB or V12. I think they stopped using V12 sometime after 2015. I could be wrong about that, though.

I don't think they ever said what the finish was actually called in recent years. At least I don't ever remember seeing something specific like CAB or V12. I think they stopped using V12 sometime after 2015. I could be wrong about that, though.

Got the official rundown last night:

NITRO OVER CELLULOSE (NOC)
In preparation for shipping 2020 models, PRS is also updating the finish system in their Maryland factory. PRS has been known to tweak its finish formulations and processes, always looking to provide a great sounding, feeling, and looking guitar while maintaining a repeatable, quality-driven manufacturing process. This new nitro finish is a variation of PRS’s Private Stock high-gloss nitro with a cellulose CAB basecoat. The resulting finish is thin, hard, and clear – all qualities that help make a resonant, musical instrument that feels great. “When you pick up a guitar with this finish, you can immediately feel that it’s not taking away from the guitar’s energy. It feels organic - like a classic, vintage guitar; it’s clear and does not hinder the figure or color of the instrument, and it sinks very little over time,” - Paul Reed Smith.

I have an early 2019 with binding on the neck, lampshades, and unobtainium nut...with non-V12 finish.

Now, the DGT has no neck binding, speed knobs, bone nut...with nitro.

Evolve or die? I like it.

I caved. Goldie on the way. Love how it ages so the nitro will be a welcome thing and I’m glad it’s not factory aged.

I can go either way on the neck binding. I love the look of it but the feel of plain wood is so nice.

Back