2019 McCarty 594 neck vs 2022 neck

Revelation

What has changed on the McCarty 594 since it was released?

When I played one in 2019, it seemed the neck was a little different..a little thicker? Any different on the finish on the back of the neck?
They changed the tuners that were originally opened back with the PRS Phase III Locking Tuners
They changed the pickups? For 2020, PRS has updated this model with TCI-tuned pickups and nitro over celluose (CAB) finish. https://prsguitars.com/electrics/mccarty_594

I was not aware it was available in 2016. https://www.guitarinteractivemagazi...n only come from modern production techniques.

Last edited:
Yes, it was released in 2016. There have been changes, which it looks like you have covered. I don’t think the neck carve has changed. Of course, they added a semihollow and hollowbody version, as well as a P90 limited edition with custom SD Antiquity pickups. All versions, in all years, have been nice instruments and successful on the sales end.

What has changed on the McCarty 594 since it was released?

When I played one in 2019, it seemed the neck was a little different..a little thicker? Any different on the finish on the back of the neck?
They changed the tuners that were originally opened back with the PRS Phase III Locking Tuners
They changed the pickups? For 2020, PRS has updated this model with TCI-tuned pickups and nitro over celluose (CAB) finish. https://prsguitars.com/electrics/mccarty_594

I was not aware it was available in 2016. https://www.guitarinteractivemagazine.com/review/prs-mccarty-594/#:~:text=The McCarty 594 was introduced in the 2016,that can only come from modern production techniques.
I don't think the Neck Carve has changed as its still the Pattern Vintage and still has the 'same' specs as far as I can see.

Whether the newer ones have a bit more of a rolled edge to change the feel or the newer 'Nitro' over CAB finish affects that too, but it may be as simple as one had a lower action set-up which again would affect the feel of the neck...

I recall the center of the neck (the back of course) to be slightly raised. It was a little uncomfortable when I initially played it but then I got uses to it.

Mine is a 2016. I am very happy that mine has the phase III locking tuners on it. I would not have liked the vintage style tuners on it.

individual variation? I don’t recall hearing about a neck change with the 594 line aside the thinline having wide thin.

Mine is a 2016. I am very happy that mine has the phase III locking tuners on it. I would not have liked the vintage style tuners on it.
I agree. My 2018 594 spoiled me so much that I only lasted a couple of months with the vintage tuners on my 2021 594. I swapped them out for vintage locking tuners and I could not be happier. Both guitars are now perfect for me.

As to the original Poster’s question, the tuners and pickups are the only major difference I see between 2018 and 2021. My 2021 is a single cut which means it has the LT+ pickups. Other than that, the pick up covers from 2018 are polished nickel and brushed nickel in 2021.

Last edited:
How do the old pickups compare to the LT's?
They have always had 58/15 LT's - at least until 2020 when they changed the SC version to 58/15 LT+ but the DC has always had the 58/15 LT's.

The only difference is that since 2020, they have also applied the TCI process across all US made Pups. The only guitar with 'TCI' pickups is the Pauls guitar which was the first guitar they consciously applied the TCI process to after revising the old '408' pups the Paul's guitar had. Those 'new' pickups where called TCI and named after that process. I know it maybe 'confusing' to have a Pup named after the Process as well as I don't know that PRS SE guitars have been through the Process or created an 'S' pickup to get as close to the Pauls 'TCI' pups as they can - like 85/15 'S' or JM635 'S' pickups for example. But TCI is the Process, not necessarily the 'name' of the Pup...

The new 594's still have 58/15 LTs (except the SC) but now have been through the TCI process. From my perspective, I can't really compare my two 594's because one is a 2016 Solid body, double cut and my other is a late Dec 2019 594 Hollowbody version - late enough in 2019 to get the Nitro finish and 58/15 LT's with the TCI process applied, but also came with the Phase 3 locking tuners (thankfully). The 'hollow' body construction though obviously has some impact on the sound and I expect the Nitro too has some minor impact on the tone too. Its not like I have swapped the 'old' 58/15's and electronics into one guitar to analyse just the difference in Pups by eliminating all other variables.

If I was pushed to make any conclusions, I would say that the full Humbucker tones seem very similar but the split coil tones are 'improved' (Subjectively).

Last edited:
I have a 2019 594 SH and a 2022 594 HB. The neck feels the same to me.

I had two 2017 594s (still have one). The neck on each one felt different. As everyone else has said, they're hand-sanded and there are very slight variations.

To my way of thinking, this is a good thing.

I love the idea that small, very human production variations make the guitars feel, look, (and with all the differences there are between pieces of wood), sound different. Every individual guitar occupies its own niche. Each person at the factory adds their own touch to the instruments.

I love the idea that I can pick out the exact guitar that suits me for reasons other than 'that one's prettiest'.

People bemoan the loss of 'handmade' quality. Well, PRS has a lot of hand-built quality despite the CNCs that cut the rough necks and bodies, despite the use of computers to design necks, despite the uniform TCI pickup windings.

To me, that's a glorious thing. Maybe one day it'll all be just a bunch of robots making 100% uniform guitars. I hope I won't be around then.

It's true that PRS guitars are consistently good. It's also true that there's joy in picking out the exact one that speaks to you in terms of tone, feel, and (of course), look.

Will it always be the one with the coolest top? Nope, but if the top is a big deal, with a PRS you're not gonna get a dog. You might, however, miss out on one that has the mojo...

I had two 2017 594s (still have one). The neck on each one felt different. As everyone else has said, they're hand-sanded and there are very slight variations.

To my way of thinking, this is a good thing.

I love the idea that small, very human production variations make the guitars feel, look, (and with all the differences there are between pieces of wood), sound different. Every individual guitar occupies its own niche. Each person at the factory adds their own touch to the instruments.

I love the idea that I can pick out the exact guitar that suits me for reasons other than 'that one's prettiest'.

People bemoan the loss of 'handmade' quality. Well, PRS has a lot of hand-built quality despite the CNCs, despite the use of computers to design necks, despite the uniform TCI pickup windings. To me, that's a beautiful thing. Maybe one day it'll all be just a bunch of robots making 100% uniform guitars, but I'm glad I won't be around then.

It's true that PRS guitars are consistently good. It's also true that there's joy in picking out the exact one that speaks to you in terms of tone, feel, and of course, look.

Will it always be the one with the coolest top? Nope.

Though sometimes that happens, too. ;)

I should mention, if you can't find local, there are dealers who will ship to you on 24 hour approval. If the guitar doesn't speak to you, return it. Yes, at first the looks are a big deal, but after a few years, it's more about the characteristics of the instrument - tone, feel, etc. So might as well get the one that sounds best and feels best, most of them look great anyway.

Back