2016 Custom 24 - New one or is 2015 and earlier as good?

martie6621

I am considering a new 2016 Custom 24. Is it worth the money to get one with the 2016 specs? Were the changes mainly the 85/15 pickups? Lots of used earlier years out there? Thanks

2015 was the first year with the 85/15s (on the 30th Anniversary models - which also have a special set of bird inlays and purfling on the fretboard/headstock).

2016 seems to be roughly the same as 2015 except back to standard inlays/no purfling. From 2016 too quilted maple tops of any grade were only available through the Wood Library, so you'd have to track down one of those if you wanted quilt over flame.

From 2017 on there is the new Gen III tremolo system... PRS thinks its their best trem system to date yet - I offer no opinion as I have not tried one. But that's the latest upgrade/spec change.

They are all going to feel, sound, and play great. If you want new you will have a 2 to 3 year pool to choose from. If you will be happy with a used one, you can get a great axe and pay less. I think overall, the newer ones have the most of PRSH's tweaks in them. Still I've got 20+ year old PRSi that sound amazing and play superbly. So, just play a few and pick the one you like best. Doesn't really matter the date.

I am very fond of the 85/15 pickups, but damn if the 57/08s aren't arguably as good. Plus, your tastes in pickups might be different from mine. Double plus, you can swap whatever pickups are in there (after trying to dial them in first -- you'd be surprised how much pickup height makes a difference) for less than the difference, there are lots of excellent choices both inside and outside the brand.

I have yet to find a bad or even slightly off CU24 , there are several different pickup and switching combos to choose from and neck shapes and even bridge types

I have had 3- CU24 first was a 2008 with VB/HFS and rotary switching ( KILLER GUITAR ) sold it to a friend so I still get to play it now and again :)
only let it go to get #2 with 57/08s and a Toggle switch ( push pull tone )

and then theres something completely different :) still 24 frets but narrow 408s

I've got a 2010 Cu24 with 5909s. I put a mann trem on it and rosewood pickup rings. I've NEVER considered changing pickups because the 5909s are that good.

I have not played my CU24 for about 5 months. I have been focusing on my other guitars in that time just to see how much I would miss it. Well, last night I did play two sets with it and it just sounds glorious. It is the best sounding guitar I own.

I have a set of 8515s that I intend to put in my Mccarty and I've had these for a while but I've been too busy to get them installed. I've been dealing with a sewer mess in my basement and should be done with the cleanup this week.

So once these 8515s are in then maybe they could become my favorite pickups but for now, Cu24 5909s and blade switch rule.

Back