2004 PRS SE EG Tremolo

Gil Gomes

I've just purchased a 2004 PRS EG and the tremolo was missing. I ordered one that was supposed to fit all SE guitars and it almost does. It goes in about half an inch and that's it. I've backed off the set screw completely and still no cigar. The diameter is .182. From what I understand it's supposed to be .177 (4.5mm) But the bag said it was a genuine PRS tremolo arm, and it's so close to fitting.

I even stoned down the end of it until I went right through the chrome plating. It's down to around .180 now and still won't fit. I got it stuck in there pretty good at one point and had to carefully extract it.

Does anyone have an EG with tremolo who could possibly take some measurements for me? Much appreciated...

Thanks...
-Gil

Sounds like you got the USA part instead. It's thicker than the SE version.

That's what I was thinking... but only .005" That's kind of weird. I wonder if the bushing in the bridge might have shrunk over the years, not having an arm in there all that time... Thanks for the response, man...

-Gil

It dawned on me you mentioned chrome plating. The USA version isn't plated, so never mind.

I just measured a few arms with my digital caliper.

SE: 0.1785"
Core: 0.1865"
Hipshot: 0.1870"

It dawned on me you mentioned chrome plating. The USA version isn't plated, so never mind.

I just measured a few arms with my digital caliper.

SE: 0.1785"
Core: 0.1865"
Hipshot: 0.1870"

That's exactly the info I was looking for garrett, thanks... I stopped at the local GC today and measured a tremolo arm from one of their PRS SE guitars and it both looks like and measured exactly the same as mine, which is around .181"... Where I sanded, steel wooled, stoned it down, it's around .179"-.180" and is barely through the chrome plating.. It goes in only so far and stops tight. I even put some fine sandpaper on a smaller drill and sanded out the bushing quite a bit, no cigar. I know it's really close, because I have an allen key that's .175" at its widest point and that goes all the way into the bushing and spins freely. This is frustrating, man... :) I think your .1785" would probably work just fine...

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.. .

-Gil

That's exactly the info I was looking for garrett, thanks... I stopped at the local GC today and measured a tremolo arm from one of their PRS SE guitars and it both looks like and measured exactly the same as mine, which is around .181"... Where I sanded, steel wooled, stoned it down, it's around .179"-.180" and is barely through the chrome plating.. It goes in only so far and stops tight. I even put some fine sandpaper on a smaller drill and sanded out the bushing quite a bit, no cigar. I know it's really close, because I have an allen key that's .175" at its widest point and that goes all the way into the bushing and spins freely. This is frustrating, man... :) I think your .1785" would probably work just fine...

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.. .

-Gil

***** UPDATE *****

I spoke with PRS support today and they're kind of stumped. They quoted the same diameter that you show for the SE tremolo arm. He's not sure why the newer ones are coming out at a larger diameter, but he'll check. Coolest thing about it, is that he's sending me an old school tremolo arm for my EG for free!!! I KNEW I bought the right brand... :)

Thanks again for all your help...
-Gil

You bought from the right company, doing right by their customers!!

Back