2 month old PRS Silver Sky going out of tune?

Eden Dinar

Purchased my PRS Silver Sky several months ago, had it set up by a professional here in Denmark (Tuned to a half step down) using same gauge strings that came with the sky .10's, but the bloody G string goes out of tune as soon as i bend it! What can i do? IS there a fix?

Yes...there's always a fix ;)...Assuming you're using an unwound (plain) "G"...maybe the locking screw isn't tightened down enough to lock it in place??
I'd have a couple extras, in case you clip the string with the screw, by over-tightening...I've done that a time or two...DOH!!!
Also, I've had minor issues with all plain strings (G,B,E) on various locking tuners...
maybe consider giving it 1-2 full wraps around the post after locking down???

Another possibility (although highly unlikely), would be the nut slot...and the string getting bound up in there.

If only 1 string goes out of tune, my guess is that the nut is slightly tight for that one string. If you have an authorized PRS dealer locally you can have it adjusted under warranty.

Yes...there's always a fix ;)...Assuming you're using an unwound (plain) "G"...maybe the locking screw isn't tightened down enough to lock it in place??
I'd have a couple extras, in case you clip the string with the screw, by over-tightening...I've done that a time or two...DOH!!!
Also, I've had minor issues with all plain strings (G,B,E) on various locking tuners...
maybe consider giving it 1-2 full wraps around the post after locking down???

Another possibility (although highly unlikely), would be the nut slot...and the string getting bound up in there.

----------------

Well, I'm not exactly sure what the guitar tech did, but i have my full trust in him. I just don't understand why I would need to wrap the string, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the PRS locking tuners?

Thanks for the suggestions though!

If only 1 string goes out of tune, my guess is that the nut is slightly tight for that one string. If you have an authorized PRS dealer locally you can have it adjusted under warranty.
I do not believe there are any PRS dealers here in Denmark.. so nothing will come for free unfortunately.. and sending it back to US would probably be someone what of a impossible task. Its most like the G and D string, but more so the G, it will either go to high or to low in pitch depening on how and what i play, and don't even get me started about playing with a capo on, fucks everything up.. little dissapointed in this guitar in all honestly, considering the premium price.

Was the string going out of tune before the set up? Is this a new set of strings? It's possible it's a bad string - have you had the problem across multiple sets of strings?

Honestly, it sounds like a combination of the nut and the locking tuner. You can try something like pencil lead or a nut lube for the nut. If it's at the tuner, it may just need to be locked a little tighter.

As for the capo comment, it's a pretty severe radius for capos - it may be pulling unevenly against the inner strings versus the outer. I've never tried a capo w/my Silver Sky, so I don't know if the curved capo I have is curved enough to fit it properly.

10:44 AM

11:24 AM

Great minds (you hope!).

Yes, ever so slightly, but really started gettign whacky when tuning half a step down. Then i went to get it set up, was good for a little while, couple weeks, and now the G and D are going out of tune consistently.

The tuning issues may be cause by the strings may be pinching in the nut slots. Grab each string individually and pull it up and out of the slot. The string should exit the slot without popping or pinging. If the slot is too tight, simply widen the slot with a nut slot file or a small piece of emery cloth. This should resolve the issue.

Yes, ever so slightly, but really started gettign whacky when tuning half a step down. Then i went to get it set up, was good for a little while, couple weeks, and now the G and D are going out of tune consistently.

That sounds like they lubed up the nut and as the lube wore away, the issue got worse. I'd bet if you do what Shawn said, this issue will go away. Good luck!

The tuning issues may be cause by the strings may be pinching in the nut slots. Grab each string individually and pull it up and out of the slot. The string should exit the slot without popping or pinging. If the slot is too tight, simply widen the slot with a nut slot file or a small piece of emery cloth. This should resolve the issue.
Hey thanks for the response!

Do you know what kind of grit for the emery cloth? And do you have any suggestions on the best way to do it?

Hey thanks for the response!

Do you know what kind of grit for the emery cloth? And do you have any suggestions on the best way to do it?

I'd go as fine as possible to keep the sides of the slot smooth. And I'd go an equal number of strokes on each side of the slot to keep it as centered as possible. And I'd be willing to bet it'll take less than you think to get this done.

I’ve had a similar issue, but using the tremolo.

This is the answer I’ve got from Support.

“Thanks for the info. It sounds like the G and B strings may have gotten pinched in the nut slot. Here are some details on what can cause tunung instability.

Tuning issues are usually caused by strings pinching in the nut slot. This can happen due to the strings settling into the nut slot or after changing to a heavier gauge string. Try gently lifting each string from the slot if the strings do not move freely from the slot they could be pinched or otherwise obstructed. Pinched strings will not allow the guitar to go back into tune when using the tremolo or bending strings. The problem is fixed by opening the nut slot so the strings move freely. This is done using nut files to open the slot so the strings move without obstruction. Graphite or nut sauce can also be used in the slots so the strings move freely. I would also check the bridge.

If the guitar is not returning to pitch after using the tremolo arm, put a little lightweight machine oil under the head of each screw (do not loosen the screws). This will effectively oil the knife-edge of the tremolo. How the guitar is strung can also make a big difference with tuning stability. Proper stringing technique is covered at the link below. The tuners on the Silver Sky are designed and used on this model exclusively.

I have included a link on troubleshooting tuning issues.

http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/blog/post/how_to_prevent_tuning_troubles

Back