2 Channel H is on but NO SOUND and JEWEL is off

jchernitsky

Just bought a 2 Channel H. Last night I left my amp on with my guitar vol down, even though the volume was down when I came back minutes later, the feedback was terrible so I quickly turned the amp off, when I turned it on again there was no sound and the Jewel indicator wouldn't turn on, however the amp IS on. B+ fuse is intact as are the two fuses located in the power chord inlet. Any suggestions?

It looks like you may have a problem with the filament supply. The low-voltage DC supply that powers the switching circuitry is derived from the filament supply via a four-diode bridge. The filament supply also powers the indicator lamp. Do the tubes glow? Does the amp smell like something burned?

It looks like you may have a problem with the filament supply. The low-voltage DC supply that powers the switching circuitry is derived from the filament supply via a four-diode bridge. The filament supply also powers the indicator lamp. Do the tubes glow? Does the amp smell like something burned?

Sorry, I walked out. Thanks for your quick reply! The tubes do glow; there was no smell; I can hear the amp is on because of the noise it makes, as well I see the channel selector light on. It seems as though the sound from the cable does not get to the amp. What do you suggest?

Sorry, I walked out. Thanks for your quick reply! The tubes do glow; there was no smell; I can hear the amp is on because of the noise it makes, as well I see the channel selector light on. It seems as though the sound from the cable does not get to the amp. What do you suggest?

A trip back to the PRS Amp shop.

Is the amp new or used? It sounds like you may have a bad preamp tube.

Is the amp new or used? It sounds like you may have a bad preamp tube.

It is new, been using it for about 6 weeks. I can see the two 6L6 in the back lighting up though. I just wouldn't know where to take it down here. I read in the manual you should not have it against the wall because of the heat... I read that too late. I don´t know if I should look inside and what to look for...

Last edited:
Does the amp change channels when you step on the footswitch? Do you have a store where you can purchase replacement tubes?

Since you can hear "blow" through the speaker, your power tubes and output transformer should be okay. With the power off, remove all of the small signal tube shields by pushing down and twisting. After the shields have been removed, turn the amp on. If all of the tubes are lit, take the amp off of standby and tap on the tubes with a wooden chopstick or dowel rod. Start with the tubes closest to the power transformer and work you way toward the input jack. You should be able to hear at least a faint tap through the speakers when tapping on the tube closest to the input jack.

With that said, I would contact your dealer. The amp is still under warranty.

Yes, The footswitch does switch between the channels. I am not sure if they sell tubes here in Mexico, they should though. What and where are the "small signal tube shields"? Should open up the amp? The problem with the warranty is that I would literally have to personally fly The amp back to the Fountain Valley, California Guitar Center, then fly back down to Mexico, wait and then eventually fly back to California to pick it up and fly it back down. That's probably more expensive than buying a new amp! That my friend is why I am so hung up on getting it fixed myself. That being said I truly appreciate your help!!!

Last edited:
You and I have been conversing through PM. Would you like to switch the conversation over to email instead?

Hi Shawn, in response, I am aware you've been conversing with me through PM, butyou had told me a CS rep would contact me and I hadn't had any real advances as in how to resolve, and I have answered all your questions. The last mail I sent Brandon whom contacted me yesterday after my last post was:

"Hi Brandon,

Thank you, could you please send me a chart or diagram so that I know exactly how to change the bulb and open up the amp. I also need to know how to change the bulb of the Jewel? I looked for this on the website and I couldn't find any info..."

I'm still waiting on a reply.

Thank you for your Help in particular Shawn.

I fiddled with the Jewel, unscrewed it and the bulb had become lose. I am sure this happened because of the vibration of the feedback. Which is the correct way of opening the amp? Can you please send me some kind of visual instruction, I can't find this on your website nor in the manual provided. Thanx again.

this is just a suggestion...

While we do have knowledgeable members here, many of whom are competent to diagnose and help guide you in repair of your amp, I don't believe any of them work for PRS in this capacity. We have PRS employees here, but no amp techs. The circuits you may have to deal with carry LETHAL amounts of high voltage, even when the amp is off unless you know EXACTLY how to drain the right capacitors.

It is unlikely that any PRS employee or even another forum member is going to instruct you in opening your amp and aid you in possibly killing yourself.

If you want your amp repaired, I believe you are going to have to try to find someone in MexCity (ask PRS for any authorized repair shop) or bite the bullet and ship it back to the States.

If it weren't for the high voltage, You would get tons of help here....

First off, did you take it apart and check the two internal fuses by the transformer?
I had the exact same thig happen to a Channel H combo, and first thought is was a bad tranny.
However, after taking it apart, I found that one of the internal fuses was bad.
Change it, and everything was just fine and dandy =)

Back