What is Goldtop listening to?

Here's an idea: The next time you find yourself in the same place as me, ask for a sample of my own 'unique' take on this song. If the combination of heart meds, pain meds, and cold Lone Star is just right... Well, you talk about fun! Please don't tell Peter.

KISS and "Beth".

Goldtop

Ditto for this song (please see previous post). If I do say so myself, I do a barn-burner alternative version of this old Jim Reeves tune. "He'll Have to Go".

Goldtop LPC

Lloyd!!!

Funny that you mention a couple of these songs tonight...

On the latest episode of the Kiss podcast I listen to (Pod Of Thunder - great stuff if you're a Kiss fan), they talked a bit about "Fred Bear". They are not fans. I kinda like it, especially the story behind it.

And "Beth"! Another bit of synergy - I've played a solo acoustic version of that song for years and years. It's one of my go-tos. Makes me wish I could sing.

I like my Pop. And a few days ago in one of the waiting rooms I saw this week I got a huge dose of it. Since then I've had Barry Manilow in my mind. Which is cool; I'm not ashamed to say I like a lot of his music. Like this one. "Even Now".

Goldtop

Lloyd!!!

Funny that you mention a couple of these songs tonight...

On the latest episode of the Kiss podcast I listen to (Pod Of Thunder - great stuff if you're a Kiss fan), they talked a bit about "Fred Bear". They are not fans. I kinda like it, especially the story behind it.

And "Beth"! Another bit of synergy - I've played a solo acoustic version of that song for years and years. It's one of my go-tos. Makes me wish I could sing.
Alan,

What can I say? "We Are One" my brotha!

Lloyd

P.S. - I need to check out that podcast. Thanks for mentioning it. You know, I went for many years and never saw Ted Nugent live. Then something changed, and from the first (!) KISS Farewell Tour on when he's been an opener for them I've seen him a bunch. I even caught him here in my town several years ago on a tour of his own. He shot (A) a cutout of Saddam or bin Laden or somebody, and (B) a PRS with a dummy back with flaming arrows. Just the idea of the PRS made me tear up a little.

Okay, more Barry Manilow. And a story to go along with it, one that's 100% true I'm afraid.

I've always had a knack, or a curse, or whatever it is, for embarrassing myself. I'm the guy who will accidentally knock something over, or stumble and bump into someone, or move a chair and make it sound like a cat is stuck under it. I've been this way all my life, and I learned a long time ago that I couldn't change it or stop it so I needed to learn to make the best of it. And for the most part I'm okay about it now, although once in a while something happens that is so ridiculous that when I finally get alone I think 'Good Gravy! I can't believe I did that!'. Or worse.

I stick out like a sore thumb. I'm big and ugly. I look like a biker who is past it. Long hair down my back, a big beard, and although I can stand and walk for short amounts of time, I use a power wheelchair when I leave home. I can't go unnoticed as much as I wish I could. Again, I've had to learn to try to make the best of it.

Thursday I was at my cardio doctors' office. It's a huge place; two storeys, three or four big waiting rooms per floor, a row of pay windows, several labs of different sizes, EKG rooms, exam rooms, places for stress tests, all of that sort of thing. Ten or fifteen doctors practice there, and as many PAs and assistants, plus too many nurses and other staff members to count. I've been going there for years so I know a lot of them, at least by sight.

So I'm in my American Flag shirt (more on that soon) at the docs and sitting in my favorite waiting room. It's a smaller one that doesn't get used as much as the rest. There's no tv in it so it's quieter than the others, and I have a favorite spot in there right under a speaker in the ceiling. They usually have nice music going; Pop stuff mostly. It was quiet in there that morning, and I was in a lot of pain, so I was sitting there with my eyes closed just waiting and listening to the tunes.

Barry Manilow came on. The same song I'm posting here, which is one of my favorites by him. My eyes were shut, I was in my own little world, and at some point I joined in and started singing with him. Aloud. I don't know when exactly, but by the time we got to the first chorus I was locked in and keeping up with him.

We got to the second verse, and we were sounding great together. I love the second verse! Just think about it; there is so much going on there. 'And if I hold you, for the sake of all those times love made us lose our minds, could I ever let you gooooooooo?' I was nailing it! Never sounded better! Climbing up and off into the chorus again, just Barry and me. 'Looks like we ma...'.

And then I felt something beside me. I opened my eyes, and there was my main blood-drawing, protime-testing lady standing there looking at me and smiling. I looked around, and there must have been fifty people staring at me! Patients. Staff. A doctor. People looking around corners. People sticking their heads out of office doors. People I knew. People I didn't. And then most of them started clapping. Laughing. Smiling. One man saluted me (or my shirt). One patient gave me a thumbs up.

I had tears in my eyes. I felt so stupid. I could have died. I don't think I've ever been more embarrassed in my life. I wanted to crawl out of there. It was terrible. I tried to smile, but it was hard. I went and did my blood work, and by the time I came out of the lab everybody had gone back to whatever they had been doing. I hope they forgot the whole thing. But I never will.

I go back in a month and I'm dreading it.

Goldtop Lloyd

Last edited:
Man-o-man how I love this tune. The Fantastic Delaney and Bonnie (who should have been put into The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame decades ago in my opinion, the darlings of the critics be hanged!) doing "When The Battle Is Over".

Goldtop

Okay, more Barry Manilow. And a story to go along with it, one that's 100% true I'm afraid.

I've always had a knack, or a curse, or whatever it is, for embarrassing myself. I'm the guy who will accidentally knock something over, or stumble and bump into someone, or move a chair and make it sound like a cat is stuck under it. I've been this way all my life, and I learned a long time ago that I couldn't change it or stop it so I needed to learn to make the best of it. And for the most part I'm okay about it now, although once in a while something happens that is so ridiculous that when I finally get alone I think 'Good Gravy! I can't believe I did that!'. Or worse.

I stick out like a sore thumb. I'm big and ugly. I look like a biker who is past it. Long hair down my back, a big beard, and although I can stand and walk for short amounts of time, I use a power wheelchair when I leave home. I can't go unnoticed as much as I wish I could. Again, I've had to learn to try to make the best of it.

Thursday I was at my cardio doctors' office. It's a huge place; two storeys, three or four big waiting rooms per floor, a row of pay windows, several labs of different sizes, EKG rooms, exam rooms, places for stress tests, all of that sort of thing. Ten or fifteen doctors practice there, and as many PAs and assistants, plus too many nurses and other staff members to count. I've been going there for years so I know a lot of them, at least by sight.

So I'm in my American Flag shirt (more on that soon) at the docs and sitting in my favorite waiting room. It's a smaller one that doesn't get used as much as the rest. There's no tv in it so it's quieter than the others, and I have a favorite spot in there right under a speaker in the ceiling. They usually have nice music going; Pop stuff mostly. It was quiet in there that morning, and I was in a lot of pain, so I was sitting there with my eyes closed just waiting and listening to the tunes.

Barry Manilow came on. The same song I'm posting here, which is one of my favorites by him. My eyes were shut, I was in my own little world, and at some point I joined in and started singing with him. Aloud. I don't know when exactly, but by the time we got to the first chorus I was locked in and keeping up with him.

We got to the second verse, and we were sounding great together. I love the second verse! Just think about it; there is so much going on there. 'And if I hold you, for the sake of all those times love made us lose our minds, could I ever let you gooooooooo?' I was nailing it! Never sounded better! Climbing up and off into the chorus again, just Barry and me. 'Looks like we ma...'.

And then I felt something beside me. I opened my eyes, and there was my main blood-drawing, protime-testing lady standing there looking at me and smiling. I looked around, and there must have been fifty people staring at me! Patients. Staff. A doctor. People looking around corners. People sticking their heads out of office doors. People I knew. People I didn't. And then most of them started clapping. Laughing. Smiling. One man saluted me (or my shirt). One patient gave me a thumbs up.

I had tears in my eyes. I felt so stupid. I could have died. I don't think I've ever been more embarrassed in my life. I wanted to crawl out of there. It was terrible. I tried to smile, but it was hard. I went and did my blood work, and by the time I came out of the lab everybody had gone back to whatever they had been doing. I hope they forgot the whole thing. But I never will.

Goldtop Lloyd

Good for you, Lloyd! You may have been embarrassed, but judging by the reaction you got, you made some people forget where they were, and what they were doing there. Bright spot, if you ask me!

As for Barry, nothing wrong with that! Talent is talent! One of my best friends never misses Manilow when he rolls through Chicago. He's 6'3", 350lbs with a Grim Reaper tattoo. He's also a long time member of the KISS Army

Good for you, Lloyd! You may have been embarrassed, but judging by the reaction you got, you made some people forget where they were, and what they were doing there. Bright spot, if you ask me!

As for Barry, nothing wrong with that! Talent is talent! One of my best friends never misses Manilow when he rolls through Chicago. He's 6'3", 350lbs with a Grim Reaper tattoo. He's also a long time member of the KISS Army
Thank you. I wish I could look at it that way, but it's still too soon.

As I was leaving the testing room, the lady I mentioned - Christa is her name - said to me: 'It could have been worse; you could have been singing Justin Bieber.' I told her that was impossible because I didn't know any of his stuff. At least I didn't hit too many bum notes. Only a couple that I remember.

Lloyd

Crystal Gayle doing "The Sound of Goodbye".

I once saw an interview with Crystal Gayle where she said that when her hair was at its longest and getting ready for a trim, it was long enough to roll up and put in her coat pocket. I fell in love instantly.

You don't think she was talking about her armpit hair, do you? Man, I hope not...

Goldtop Lloyd

Talk about strange! I've had Crystal Gayle on my mind all day. Lucky me! Earlier I came in and parked it here in front of the computer, then turned on the tv. There was Dan Blather on AXS doing his interview show, and guess who he was talking with!

No. It was Fogerty. But he's got an episode with The Good Reverend Willy G. coming up Tuesday night!

"Till I Can Gain Control Again".

Goldtop LPC

I've been listening to this for months tryin' to nail the single note line, even cheated and watched a few youtube videos but they're all wrong. It's my current obsession.

I've been listening to this for months tryin' to nail the single note line, even cheated and watched a few youtube videos but they're all wrong. It's my current obsession.

And a big R.I.P. for one of the sisters today. Only 60.....way too soon.

Goldtop Lloyd

No shame in pop music, Lloyd. I just read an interview with Pat Travers where he said his guilty pleasure is listening to ABBA in his car. I don't believe in guilty pleasures - if you like something, you like it, and there's no reason to feel shame for it.

But your story reminds me of this - last year, my buddy and I were going to a concert on the evening of his niece's birthday dinner. He invited me to come to dinner with them (I've known both his sisters for years, too). I got there first, and his sister (not the birthday girl's mother) was next. She asked me who we were going to see. My buddy is close to your description - he's a big dude, a biker, etc. I said we were going to see...Cyndi Lauper. I thought his sister was going to choke. She started making fun of him and laughing like crazy. When he showed up, she started on him. Have you seen those internet videos where there's a big, vicious-looking dog, and there's a baby hanging off its ears and hitting it in the face, and the dog has that look on its face like, "I can't believe I have to put up with this..."? That's what my buddy looked like. Just about anybody else and he'd have made a smart-aleck remark, but not with his sisters.

And it was a great show...

Alan,

What a great story. A few weeks ago I saw a Cyndi Lauper gig on Austin City Limits and I thought it was cool. Nice mix of her own songs and covers. I really liked her doing "I Want to Be A Cowboy's Sweetheart" with a giant stickhorse. Too Cool!

I've always been too easily embarrassed. It's not as bad as it was when I was younger, but the waiting room thing may be the worst ever.

LPC

Back