A 2024 return from MA Pete - Quadruple NGD with a plot twist on the scale length...

Thanks! I really dig the McCarty.

Do you guys remember that thread I had on Vintage Rocker, "A Chronicle of my PRS Adventure.."? It was 94 pages and 945 Posts long, and gave a pictorial history of the first 89 PRS Guitars I had owned, from 2008 to early 2017, including all the fun and madness with the gigs, the guitar trades with Howard Leese, etc. I had selfishly deleted that thread because I was embarrassed by the excess of it all, I regret that I did that now.

But I did save a copy of all 94 HTML pages for my own reference. I went through the first 20 or so pages of that recently, and came to the conclusion that this new McCarty is essentially the reference back for me to the many DC PRS Guitars I have loved so much over the years, particularly the Ted DC 245s, and the DC 594s.

A very high percentage of the Teds and the 594's had some sort of vintage Burst finish on them, so is a throwback to all of the great fun I had with those back in the day. (I find that is the way life works, as you get older you look back fondly at the glory days of yesteryear, and seek things to enjoy to connect back to those times.)

This one is about perfect for me in that it is the right amount of beautiful, a great 10-Top, but not a killer Private Stock sort of top by any means. More of a workhorse guitar versus Wall Art in that regard. It reminds me more of the Ted DC 245's than the 594's, with the single volume and tone and the PRS Stoptail.

The tone is quite good! In that vintage sort of way. The Custom 24 and the Tremonti are a little more "powerful" and modern, but this one is more so vintage as I think a PRS with 58/15 LT's is meant to be. Great for the vintage Rock and Blues tones. (Curiously enough, the Custom 24 also has 58/15 LT's in it, but somehow seems a little "bigger" and more powerful. Of course the Tremonti cannot directly be compared, that bridge pickup is a beast, 15-17K I believe.)

I also had two 25" McCarty's in 2020, one in this finish. I got turned onto them again by the Tim Pierce / Howard Leese 1959 LP / SC 594 comparison. Tim also played a 25" McCarty as an afterthought later in the video, and I was blown away by it. I thought it sounded every bit as good as the SC 594, if not better. I bought one, and then another - and that confirmed that notion, the 2020 McCarty's were just as good as the 2020 Core 594's (remember that Model 2020 was when they shifted to the Nitro finishes on the Core guitars). And at that point I found I was also preferring the 25" scale over the 594 scale. But I was still conflicted in that I had a few stellar SC 594's, and didn't think I had a choice for a 25" Singlecut. Because I was still a binding and neck carve snob at that time and didn't acknowledge the existence of the Tremonti model. :)

Here are some more pics of the McCarty:

2GF68gZ.jpg

XeJkYqO.jpg

GxJ7i2E.jpg

D19R9kt.jpg

bBVZWMF.jpg
That was an epic thread and nothing to be embarrassed about.

At first I have to admit I thought you were a little nutty not keeping anything, but that was just because I wrongly thought the “destination” was more important than the “journey”.

I think I learned from you that someone can enjoy the experiences of briefly owning guitars in the same way that someone could be into traveling/vacation or fine dining/wine tasting etc.

It was a healthy advancement for me to come to understand, and I’ve since learned that it’s impossible to own them all, and that’s okay.

I’m grateful you’re back just so I can say thank you. Thank you for sharing your journey and thank you for being such a generous host in the past. Getting to play some of your guitars was truly a treat and part of my overall guitar journey too.

Pete! Welcome back, and my belated sympathy on the unfortunate ordeal with your brother.

I look forward to hearing of your journey back, and will of course always remember that great day and evening we had at the PRS factory and later at Paul's home studio!

Thanks! I really dig the McCarty.

Do you guys remember that thread I had on Vintage Rocker, "A Chronicle of my PRS Adventure.."? It was 94 pages and 945 Posts long, and gave a pictorial history of the first 89 PRS Guitars I had owned, from 2008 to early 2017, including all the fun and madness with the gigs, the guitar trades with Howard Leese, etc. I had selfishly deleted that thread because I was embarrassed by the excess of it all, I regret that I did that now.

But I did save a copy of all 94 HTML pages for my own reference. I went through the first 20 or so pages of that recently, and came to the conclusion that this new McCarty is essentially the reference back for me to the many DC PRS Guitars I have loved so much over the years, particularly the Ted DC 245s, and the DC 594s.

A very high percentage of the Teds and the 594's had some sort of vintage Burst finish on them, so is a throwback to all of the great fun I had with those back in the day. (I find that is the way life works, as you get older you look back fondly at the glory days of yesteryear, and seek things to enjoy to connect back to those times.)

This one is about perfect for me in that it is the right amount of beautiful, a great 10-Top, but not a killer Private Stock sort of top by any means. More of a workhorse guitar versus Wall Art in that regard. It reminds me more of the Ted DC 245's than the 594's, with the single volume and tone and the PRS Stoptail.

The tone is quite good! In that vintage sort of way. The Custom 24 and the Tremonti are a little more "powerful" and modern, but this one is more so vintage as I think a PRS with 58/15 LT's is meant to be. Great for the vintage Rock and Blues tones. (Curiously enough, the Custom 24 also has 58/15 LT's in it, but somehow seems a little "bigger" and more powerful. Of course the Tremonti cannot directly be compared, that bridge pickup is a beast, 15-17K I believe.)

I also had two 25" McCarty's in 2020, one in this finish. I got turned onto them again by the Tim Pierce / Howard Leese 1959 LP / SC 594 comparison. Tim also played a 25" McCarty as an afterthought later in the video, and I was blown away by it. I thought it sounded every bit as good as the SC 594, if not better. I bought one, and then another - and that confirmed that notion, the 2020 McCarty's were just as good as the 2020 Core 594's (remember that Model 2020 was when they shifted to the Nitro finishes on the Core guitars). And at that point I found I was also preferring the 25" scale over the 594 scale. But I was still conflicted in that I had a few stellar SC 594's, and didn't think I had a choice for a 25" Singlecut. Because I was still a binding and neck carve snob at that time and didn't acknowledge the existence of the Tremonti model. :)

Here are some more pics of the McCarty:

2GF68gZ.jpg

XeJkYqO.jpg

GxJ7i2E.jpg

D19R9kt.jpg

bBVZWMF.jpg
Perect....

We agreed they were both great. The Custom 24 had a Maple Neck and an Ebony Board, and while it played and sounded great, there was something about the tone that was a little off. I have not at all done well in the past in straying from the "traditional" wood formula of Mahogany Body and Neck and Rosewood Fingerboard. Many many times I have bought guitars that had Korina Bodies and/or Necks, Maple and Rosewood Necks on PRS Wood Library and Private Stock guitars, and initially really liked them because they were a little different in a refreshing way, but almost always I grew tired of them in the not too distant future because they didn't have that tone in my head.

This is the very thing that happens to me every time I go with different woods than the traditional formula of mahogany neck and back, maple top, and rosewood fretboard.

Just this year I sold a Special Semi Hollow with an ebony fretboard that I only had for a year. Probably the fifth time I've tried ebony fretboards on a PRS - I tried it this time because it sounded kind of 'refreshing' with the semi hollow construction for a bit - but in the end it just didn't work for me. Bought a DGT with BRW board instead, and am happy as a clam.

I've had maple necked 594s and McCartys that also didn't stay, though I've had rosewood necked McCartys that worked very well sonically, however, I didn't care for the unfinished wood feel. With a gloss finish they'd have been perfect for what I wanted as an alternative sound at the time. Call me picky.

I'll add that what you experienced with the PS CU24 is the exact same thing I experienced when I bought the 2015 30th Anniversary PS from that run. It's just an incredible guitar, and sounded heads and shoulders better than anything else I had Mr. Gretz send me audio clips of. The tone haunted me for a day or two, and then I figured I should just buy it. Turned out to be a good move. The only drawback is the quilt top, but heck, it's still pretty nice and I have lived with the guitar happily for 8+ years.

Last edited:
Pete! Welcome back, and my belated sympathy on the unfortunate ordeal with your brother.

I look forward to hearing of your journey back, and will of course always remember that great day and evening we had at the PRS factory and later at Paul's home studio!

Thanks, AaaCee!

Holy cow, that was an epic day, back in April 2012. I spec'ed my very first Private Stock that day, the Jade Glow DC 245, which was one of the best Private Stock creations I personally spec'ed.

suFoatW.jpg

(The color Paul Miles is holding up there was Citrus Fade, as a representation of Citrus Glow, later I changed it to Jade Glow. I later did 3 different Private Stocks in Citrus Glow, that is my favorite still. I have a thought about a potential future PS build, and I might go Citrus Glow again. :))

That evening was even more memorable! My favorite moment from that night was sitting at the top of the stairs in the Studio playing Paul's guitar (I think it was some sort of Violin Guitar with the knots, if I recall correctly) playing through Paul's favorite of 3 tweaked 100W MDT heads. You and Eric were in the Studio chatting at that moment.

(That is how Paul does in it the home Studio, has the cabinet in the Garage downstairs mic'ed up, feeding back up into the Studio gear in the Studio above the Garage, as we have all seen on some of his YouTube videos recorded at his Studio over the years. But also you can open the door and sit at the top of the stairs and hear the awesome tone at dB's that don't make you deaf, because the Cab is around the corner from the stairs coming up.)

Paul had gone in to say goodnight to his wife, and I was sitting at the top of the stairs jamming away enjoying that surreal moment - and I sort of sensed someone behind me. It was Paul, he was returning to the Studio, and he had stopped to listen. I had stopped playing and turned around to see him, and he said "don't stop, keep playing, it sounds great!"

L55mMIS.jpg

He later kindly arranged for that exact tweaked MDT Head to make its way to me (through Eric at Willcutt Guitars, but with the Amp Cabinet swapped out to a Paisley one per my request). It was a great amp, but I ultimately sold it, as I couldn't recreate that magic from Paul's Studio from that night. The Amp needed to be cranked to its sweet spot to get that epic tone from that night (usually in the 6.5 to 8.5 range in general for Marshally amps from what I have experienced), and I couldn't really ever do that at home. I had found that my Original Sewell sounded better for me, at sane volumes at home. (That was before the magical Ox Box came out, which now allows me to put Amps in the sweet spot and control the volume in the room separately. I had four of them when I had a large amp collection up through 2020, I am down to just one now - slumming it.) (Also re PRS Amps, later in time I became smitten with the HXDA, and owned a couple of them. Will there be an HDRX Amp in my future?)

What a great host he was to us that day, and evening! (He always was very gracious to me over the years, including when coincidentally we were both on the same flight from San Francisco to Chicago O'Hare years later. I was traveling back from a gig with my DC 245 Sig Pickup Private Stock, and he had a Private Stock with him as well. He was very impressed that I was gigging and traveling with a Private Stock! He was on his way to IN to visit with Sweetwater, so we shared a meal and a Beer at the Chili's at O'Hare, and we had a wonderful chat about guitars, amps, and all sorts of other topics.)

Of my entire guitar journey, that night was in my top 5 experiences, I would have to say! The 2012 Gig at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with my wife, 3 kids, Dad and Stepmom there to watch was no doubt #1 for me. Right up there with this night was probably a couple of the things Howard Leese did with me, one time he invited us (BrianC and I) over to the hotel in Chicago to hang out and chat with the Paul Rodgers Band members, and talk about trading guitars, and then we were front row the next night at the concert, which was amazing. A few years later my wife and I went to see Bad Company, and Howard was kind enough to personally introduce my wife and I to Paul Rodgers, Mick Ralphs and Simon Kirke, before the show. We went backstage after the show as well, and Simon gave my wife his drumsticks. That was a killer show as well, and we were also front row for that one.

What a great adventure this PRS Journey has been! I have to pinch myself, how did I get to be so lucky to have all of these great experiences surrounding the PRS Community?

LOL, maybe I should recreate my deleted VR Chronicle Thread here, as my memoir of the journey... ;)

Last edited:
Thanks, AaaCee!

Holy cow, that was an epic day, back in April 2012. I spec'ed my very first Private Stock that day, the Jade Glow DC 245, which was one of the best Private Stock creations I personally spec'ed.

suFoatW.jpg

(The color Paul Miles is holding up there was Citrus Fade, as a representation of Citrus Glow, later I changed it to Jade Glow. I later did 3 different Private Stocks in Citrus Glow, that is my favorite still. I have a thought about a potential future PS build, and I might go Citrus Glow again. :))

That evening was even more memorable! My favorite moment from that night was sitting at the top of the stairs in the Studio playing Paul's guitar (I think it was some sort of Violin Guitar with the knots, if I recall correctly) playing through Paul's favorite of 3 tweaked 100W MDT heads. You and Eric were in the Studio chatting at that moment.

(That is how Paul does in it the home Studio, has the cabinet in the Garage downstairs mic'ed up, feeding back up into the Studio gear in the Studio above the Garage, as we have all seen on some of his YouTube videos recorded at his Studio over the years. But also you can open the door and sit at the top of the stairs and hear the awesome tone at dB's that don't make you deaf, because the Cab is around the corner from the stairs coming up.)

Paul had gone in to say goodnight to his wife, and I was sitting at the top of the stairs jamming away enjoying that surreal moment - and I sort of sensed someone behind me. It was Paul, he was returning to the Studio, and he had stopped to listen. I had stopped playing and turned around to see him, and he said "don't stop, keep playing, it sounds great!"

L55mMIS.jpg

He later kindly arranged for that exact tweaked MDT Head to make its way to me (through Eric at Willcutt Guitars, but with the Amp Cabinet swapped out to a Paisley one per my request). It was a great amp, but I ultimately sold it, as I couldn't recreate that magic from Paul's Studio from that night. The Amp needed to be cranked to its sweet spot to get that epic tone from that night (usually in the 6.5 to 8.5 range in general for Marshally amps from what I have experienced), and I couldn't really ever do that at home. I had found that my Original Sewell sounded better for me, at sane volumes at home. (That was before the magical Ox Box came out, which now allows me to put Amps in the sweet spot and control the volume in the room separately. I had four of them when I had a large amp collection up through 2020, I am down to just one now - slumming it.) (Also re PRS Amps, later in time I became smitten with the HXDA, and owned a couple of them. Will there be an HDRX Amp in my future?)

What a great host he was to us that day, and evening! (He always was very gracious to me over the years, including when coincidentally we were both on the same flight from San Francisco to Chicago O'Hare years later. I was traveling back from a gig with my DC 245 Sig Pickup Private Stock, and he had a Private Stock with him as well. He was very impressed that I was gigging and traveling with a Private Stock! He was on his way to IN to visit with Sweetwater, so we shared a meal and a Beer at the Chili's at O'Hare, and we had a wonderful chat about guitars, amps, and all sorts of other topics.)

Of my entire guitar journey, that night was in my top 5 experiences, I would have to say! The 2012 Gig at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with my wife, 3 kids, Dad and Stepmom there to watch was no doubt #1 for me. Right up there with this night was probably a couple of the things Howard Leese did with me, one time he invited us (BrianC and I) over to the hotel in Chicago to hang out and chat with the Paul Rodgers Band members, and talk about trading guitars, and then we were front row the next night at the concert, which was amazing. A few years later my wife and I went to see Bad Company, and Howard was kind enough to personally introduce my wife and I to Paul Rodgers, Mick Ralphs and Simon Kirke, before the show. We went backstage after the show as well, and Simon gave my wife his drumsticks. That was a killer show as well, and we were also front row for that one.

What a great adventure this PRS Journey has been! I have to pinch myself, how did I get to be so lucky to have all of these great experiences surrounding the PRS Community?

LOL, maybe I should recreate my deleted VR Chronicle Thread here, as my memoir of the journey... ;)
What a great series of events! I'm in favor of seeing that VR thread as I have not seen it before. At the very least, you should link in the thread from your 594 journey!

Thanks, AaaCee!

suFoatW.jpg

L55mMIS.jpg

Pete, a fantastic account of a great day! Love the pics as well ... I'm pretty sure I was the photographer for the first one.

I remember a lot of details, but nothing close to the your extensive recollection! Glad to see you back in the loop and I hope our paths cross again soon enough!

AC

What a great series of events! I'm in favor of seeing that VR thread as I have not seen it before. At the very least, you should link in the thread from your 594 journey!
It contained the only “Bangin’!” ever given out for a stock blue production model PRS.

Glacier Blue Ted DC (IIRC) ‘cause I know you’ll ask

That was an epic thread and nothing to be embarrassed about.

At first I have to admit I thought you were a little nutty not keeping anything, but that was just because I wrongly thought the “destination” was more important than the “journey”.

I think I learned from you that someone can enjoy the experiences of briefly owning guitars in the same way that someone could be into traveling/vacation or fine dining/wine tasting etc.

It was a healthy advancement for me to come to understand, and I’ve since learned that it’s impossible to own them all, and that’s okay.

I’m grateful you’re back just so I can say thank you. Thank you for sharing your journey and thank you for being such a generous host in the past. Getting to play some of your guitars was truly a treat and part of my overall guitar journey too.

Hi Sergio! Thanks for chiming in. At one time I thought perhaps there was a destination to be found, but older and wiser now I know that there isn't one. It is all about the journey, and it is better, more fun and easier if you are conscious in the moment of that and take that opportunity to experience the joy of the journey, and the great friends and experiences along the way.

You had an influence on me as well, from that great get-together in 2017. That was tremendous fun that day, but I remember very vividly you chatting with me 1:1 about that amazing SC 594 prototype. You said something like "all this stuff is great, Pete - but this one here is something very special. I have never played a Singlecut PRS that sounds and feels this great." I can still picture exactly where the both of us were sitting at that moment.

I knew that already, but hearing that from you made me appreciate it more, and realize that more. It changed me a bit as to the way I look how I experience and appreciate a guitar. When I later in 2020 discussed selling that SC 594 when I was having a bit of a guitar identity crisis, you and the others that were there in 2017 (or that had played it at all all) chimed in (on Les' Forum) and said "No, don't do it! You will regret it!" Well, I did sell it, and I did indeed later regret it, very much.

When I went to CME (2 weeks ago from tomorrow, this has all happened so quickly once the playing spark returned for me) and played the Custom 24 and fell in love with it, I connected back to that time when you and the gang told me not to sell the SC 594. As I was sitting there trying to decide whether or not to buy it, knowing that historically Custom 24's haven't been my thing, what swayed toward getting it was the feeling of righting that previous wrong, so to speak. And seriously - I think I said to myself in my head "Sergio would tell me to buy this, and that if I passed on this opportunity, I would regret it." If I remember correctly, that was the moment I went to go buy it. :)

Welcome back Pete!!!!! Great seeing you around again and with some cool new gear + the old comfy leather chair of yours!

Thanks!

Ha-ha, I used the chair intentionally, to see if any of you recognized it. It is in a different room now, with a different throw blanket and pillow, but yes - same chair! Lots of great guitars have had their picture taken with that chair! ;)

It contained the only “Bangin’!” ever given out for a stock blue production model PRS.

Glacier Blue Ted DC (IIRC) ‘cause I know you’ll ask

Yes - I do remember that you liked that Glacier Blue one, despite not at all liking Blue guitars! As I reread my personal copy of the Chronicle thread recently, I was reminded of that.

That was one of my favorites of the "Willcutt Wood Library 245 Ted" phase of the journey, before moving on more so to the Private Stock 245s, before the 594 phase.

It was also my favorite of the Teds to gig with, before the Aquamarine PS DC 245 arrived.

Pete, it's great to hear that you're back to playing. I am truly sorry for your loss. Can't wait to see what rabbit hole your newest journey takes all of us on! That Cu24 looks fantastic, and I really love the classic look of that McCarty! You grabbed the MT-15, but what we really want to know is if you will take on an MT-100????

Welcome back!!!

Hey Bodia! Just now getting a chance to circle back and answer some of the questions asked so far.

I don't know that I will try an MT-100. An HDRX of some sort is probably more likely. I am reluctant to go too crazy on rebuilding an amp collection, I may instead just have a few and then also do something with software on the computer or a modeler like the new Kemper Pedal. I do have a dedicated computer set up in the revamped guitar area, that will help with something like that. I have the Spark amp that I bought in 2020, I haven't taken the time yet to really figure that out. That seems like it will be decent for playing at night at home and mixing music on the computer and a guitar into headphones together, when learning or practicing something new.

Ya know, Pete, what I really want to know is; how busy is Mario going to be???? :p

Yeah, I need his magic setups on all of these! But I haven't taken any yet, as so far I can't bear the thought of being without any of them be without them for a while.

Hi Sergio! Thanks for chiming in. At one time I thought perhaps there was a destination to be found, but older and wiser now I know that there isn't one. It is all about the journey, and it is better, more fun and easier if you are conscious in the moment of that and take that opportunity to experience the joy of the journey, and the great friends and experiences along the way.

You had an influence on me as well, from that great get-together in 2017. That was tremendous fun that day, but I remember very vividly you chatting with me 1:1 about that amazing SC 594 prototype. You said something like "all this stuff is great, Pete - but this one here is something very special. I have never played a Singlecut PRS that sounds and feels this great." I can still picture exactly where the both of us were sitting at that moment.

I knew that already, but hearing that from you made me appreciate it more, and realize that more. It changed me a bit as to the way I look how I experience and appreciate a guitar. When I later in 2020 discussed selling that SC 594 when I was having a bit of a guitar identity crisis, you and the others that were there in 2017 (or that had played it at all all) chimed in (on Les' Forum) and said "No, don't do it! You will regret it!" Well, I did sell it, and I did indeed later regret it, very much.

When I went to CME (2 weeks ago from tomorrow, this has all happened so quickly once the playing spark returned for me) and played the Custom 24 and fell in love with it, I connected back to that time when you and the gang told me not to sell the SC 594. As I was sitting there trying to decide whether or not to buy it, knowing that historically Custom 24's haven't been my thing, what swayed toward getting it was the feeling of righting that previous wrong, so to speak. And seriously - I think I said to myself in my head "Sergio would tell me to buy this, and that if I passed on this opportunity, I would regret it." If I remember correctly, that was the moment I went to go buy it. :)

Thanks!

Ha-ha, I used the chair intentionally, to see if any of you recognized it. It is in a different room now, with a different throw blanket and pillow, but yes - same chair! Lots of great guitars have had their picture taken with that chair! ;)
Aww…

But yeah! That was the day I stopped being one of those “if you want a Les Paul just buy a Les Paul” guys.

You’ve got me scared now talking about your new CU24. I really don’t wanna play a blue blade equipped PS and come away thinking it’s the greatest CU24 I’ve ever heard, lol.

I’m excited for your 25”scale journey as they’ve fallen out of favor with me. I’m on the 24.5 kick pretty solidly now and haven’t gassed for a new PRS in a few years. You may change that.

That was before the magical Ox Box came out, which now allows me to put Amps in the sweet spot and control the volume in the room separately. I had four of them when I had a large amp collection up through 2020, I am down to just one now - slumming it.)

It's a nice thing to be able to instantly switch between amps, cabs, and load boxes like the Ox Box. I have a device that does it instantly, no noise, no tone suck, no switching clicks and pops, plus those irresistible one-touch electronic toggle switches, MIDI and some other features.

One of these costs less than an OX Box, and gives you a myriad of other possibilities. The one I have (KHE) will switch between eight heads and four speaker cabs or load boxes. So all you'd need is one OX Box, and you'd still be able to add speaker cabs. An additional thing I like about it is that KHE designed a complete system; you can add other pieces to build just about any kind of switching system you'd ever want, so you could add more amps, more cabs, more load boxes, attenuators, etc.

There are others on the market that are also very good, but I found this one suited my needs very well. It's very well built, with attention to detail, as is typical of gear made in Switzerland.

I love experimenting with instant sound changes - maybe a little too much, because it's hard to get down to business when you're having too much fun. ;)

It's a nice thing to be able to instantly switch between amps, cabs, and load boxes like the Ox Box. I have a device that does it instantly, no noise, no tone suck, no switching clicks and pops, plus those irresistible one-touch electronic toggle switches, MIDI and some other features.

One of these costs less than an OX Box, and gives you a myriad of other possibilities. The one I have (KHE) will switch between eight heads and four speaker cabs or load boxes. So all you'd need is one OX Box, and you'd still be able to add speaker cabs. An additional thing I like about it is that KHE designed a complete system; you can add other pieces to build just about any kind of switching system you'd ever want, so you could add more amps, more cabs, more load boxes, attenuators, etc.

There are others on the market that are also very good, but I found this one suited my needs very well. It's very well built, with attention to detail, as is typical of gear made in Switzerland.

I love experimenting with instant sound changes - maybe a little too much, because it's hard to get down to business when you're having too much fun. ;)

Thank you!

The smaller 4x2 might do the trick for me. Maybe that would help me keep it to just 4 Amps! :)

Back