Next MA Pete NGD: Custom 24 in Fire Red Burst

Pete, I love this idea and really thought hard about doing the same thing, but with just a volume knob.

I don't know, they look pretty good if you can appreciate the utility / simplicity of the configuration:

bI9lY5Q.jpg

Yeah, I had thought of just the volume as well for pure simplicity (and badassery), but I find I use the tone knob as decent amount, if the tone is a hair bright on an amp or an amp model.

Thanks for posting the pic of the Davy Knowles 1 Pickup McCarty from way back - I was actually looking for that recently and could find it! ;)

Mine would of course be equipped with a Trem...

Another beautiful find! I have never even looked at a PS in person, but I can kind of relate to your comments about not wanting to wear on them. My core has a satin finish and I left a pick mark next to the switch on the first day. When I noticed it, I had a day of regret and denial, until I realized that I bought this guitar to play the heck out of. I guess if I am ever going to spend the $$$ on a PS, I better make sure I can accept the wear and tear as well, or go full "MA Pete" and use the same $$$ to buy several cores. :p

I can relate - I somehow put a significant ding in my new Faded Whale Blue Custom 24, within days of receiving it!

To this day I have no idea how it happened. Thankfully it is in a spot where it is not very noticeable, it is on the edge of the body where it is black, on the side that rests on your leg. So I only have to see it when I am pulling the guitar off the wall. But still, I know it is there! ;)

It bummed me a lot, the day I discovered it. When I got up the next day, I kind of just shrugged my shoulders and said "oh well". (If it were on the top, it would probably bug me more.) It has been my number one guitar at the computer desk, where I always risk clunking the guitar on the desk. So in that regard perhaps it is good that it already has its first ding. :)

Back in the day when I was gigging my Private Stock's, a few times I sent them to the PTC to fix them up when a new Private Stock was going into the gigging rotation, and I was going to sell one. Pretty hard to avoid dings here and there when playing out...

Congrats Pete! That is a looker. The PRS Studio I bought las fall is the same finish as this guitar. My flame has a slight chevron in the opposite direction of yours.

I have never had the pleasure of playing let alone owning a private stock. If I could ever nail down the specs on one, I would consider ordering one. For me, I think it would need to have the specs of a few of my core guitars all in one guitar and I don't think that is going to happen now that they have limited the options on them. I don't think I would not want to play it. I had a custom Suhr built in 2015 and it has been one of my main playing guitars since it showed up. I could see a nice PRS PS being that same type of guitar for me. If PRS made guitars with the configuration of the one I ordered from Suhr, that would have been my PS. The Studio is the closest model they make to what I had done with the Suhr and I now have a nice one of those.

Congratulations! That’s gotta be one of the most stunning fire red burst guitars I’ve seen!

I promised another NGD this week, since I had sold a guitar. :)

It was an adventurous week! I had my eye on a Private Stock Custom 22 that was spec'ed with a Pattern Thin Neck. But it turned out it had an 11.5 Radius. I didn't want a different radius, my whole point was to have the necks the same. So I passed.

Also I got in a Wood Library Custom 24 that was very cool. It had a Maple Neck, which I wanted to try in a Custom 24. It was a great guitar, it was visually quite stunning and played great, it had a Satin finish. But the tone with the Maple Neck was not for me, I was reminded yet again that when I stray from the traditional wood formula, 95 times out of 100 I am not satisfied. So I returned that one.

Fire Red Burst has been one of my favorite finishes over the years, and somehow I have never owned one, except a Fire Red Glow Private Stock DC 594 that I owned in 2017. That one looked quite different to the standard Core Fire Red Burst, so I won't count that. I had been looking at Fire Red Burst and Fire Smokeburst Custom 24's, and I pulled the trigger on one.

UxqkS4a.jpg

moVLdga.jpg

D8HZmwk.jpg

zGBf0VI.jpg

HgDndwj.jpg

It is quite stunning! Killer Top. I prefer my flames to have a slight "V" in them like this one, versus a Chevron or straight across. I always have.

This one is a little on the heavy side for a Custom 24, just a hair over 8 pounds. I forgot to ask the weight when I ordered it, LOL! I don't mind though, I think it contributes to the great tone it has. My Faded Whale Blue Custom 24 has been the #1 daily driver, I think this one will give it a run for the money for that title. I will probably just leave the FWB in Drop D and have this be the Standard Tuning Custom 24, I do the same with the two Tremonti's.

I won't waste my time with a silly comment like "this will be my last one for a while" - as I also sold my Custom 24 Private Stock, and have another Core guitar coming in. :) That Private Stock was amazing! It is the guitar that led me down the path of Custom 24's, Pattern Thin Necks and Trem-equipped guitars, and I will always remember it fondly for that. The tone on it was quite amazing and unique, but right now I am sort of obsessed with dark or Black Backs and Necks and sort of a matching collection in that regard, and also that guitar was so precious and special that I wasn't playing it day to day, I didn't want to put any wear on it. (Which is an issue I have run into with the Private Stocks previously, for me that is a conundrum of Private Stocks in my collection.)

The Back and Neck on this one is Cherry, as seems to be standard with "Fire Red Burst". There is another color that is similar but different called "Fire Smokeburst" that has a more prominent Black Burst and a a Black Back and Neck, and most often the Faux Binding is stained Red. I like both finishes. The Fire Red Burst is more prominent out there in dealer inventories. The Fire Smokeburst is a standard color for the Custom 24 (and the Tremonti) in the 2024 Model Lineup - so who knows, maybe I will eventually end up with one of those too! I seem to be centered around Blue, Purple and Red for my colors for my collection these days. :)
Nice

I promised another NGD this week, since I had sold a guitar. :)

It was an adventurous week! I had my eye on a Private Stock Custom 22 that was spec'ed with a Pattern Thin Neck. But it turned out it had an 11.5 Radius. I didn't want a different radius, my whole point was to have the necks the same. So I passed.

Also I got in a Wood Library Custom 24 that was very cool. It had a Maple Neck, which I wanted to try in a Custom 24. It was a great guitar, it was visually quite stunning and played great, it had a Satin finish. But the tone with the Maple Neck was not for me, I was reminded yet again that when I stray from the traditional wood formula, 95 times out of 100 I am not satisfied. So I returned that one.

Fire Red Burst has been one of my favorite finishes over the years, and somehow I have never owned one, except a Fire Red Glow Private Stock DC 594 that I owned in 2017. That one looked quite different to the standard Core Fire Red Burst, so I won't count that. I had been looking at Fire Red Burst and Fire Smokeburst Custom 24's, and I pulled the trigger on one.

UxqkS4a.jpg

moVLdga.jpg

D8HZmwk.jpg

zGBf0VI.jpg

HgDndwj.jpg

It is quite stunning! Killer Top. I prefer my flames to have a slight "V" in them like this one, versus a Chevron or straight across. I always have.

This one is a little on the heavy side for a Custom 24, just a hair over 8 pounds. I forgot to ask the weight when I ordered it, LOL! I don't mind though, I think it contributes to the great tone it has. My Faded Whale Blue Custom 24 has been the #1 daily driver, I think this one will give it a run for the money for that title. I will probably just leave the FWB in Drop D and have this be the Standard Tuning Custom 24, I do the same with the two Tremonti's.

I won't waste my time with a silly comment like "this will be my last one for a while" - as I also sold my Custom 24 Private Stock, and have another Core guitar coming in. :) That Private Stock was amazing! It is the guitar that led me down the path of Custom 24's, Pattern Thin Necks and Trem-equipped guitars, and I will always remember it fondly for that. The tone on it was quite amazing and unique, but right now I am sort of obsessed with dark or Black Backs and Necks and sort of a matching collection in that regard, and also that guitar was so precious and special that I wasn't playing it day to day, I didn't want to put any wear on it. (Which is an issue I have run into with the Private Stocks previously, for me that is a conundrum of Private Stocks in my collection.)

The Back and Neck on this one is Cherry, as seems to be standard with "Fire Red Burst". There is another color that is similar but different called "Fire Smokeburst" that has a more prominent Black Burst and a a Black Back and Neck, and most often the Faux Binding is stained Red. I like both finishes. The Fire Red Burst is more prominent out there in dealer inventories. The Fire Smokeburst is a standard color for the Custom 24 (and the Tremonti) in the 2024 Model Lineup - so who knows, maybe I will eventually end up with one of those too! I seem to be centered around Blue, Purple and Red for my colors for my collection these days. :)
That one looks like the twin sister to my Artist Package Special 22 Semi-Hollow!
Awesome guitar you have there!!!

8xyNC7h.jpg

Back