Yet another "MA Pete Return" NGD - Custom 2408

MA Pete

Pattern Thin Convert!
Okay, this will be my last one for a while. :)

A Custom 2408, in Faded Whale Blue. I wanted a 2408 with the 85/15 Pickups. I already had the amazing Private Stock Custom 24, but with the 5-Way Blade switching, and also I didn't want to have the Private Stock get a lot of playing as a primary guitar, I wanted to have that one get less play and less wear. I have the 2024 spec Custom 2408, with the Paul's Guitar pickups. It is great! But I am really digging the Custom 24 model, wanted to get a 2408 in the 2023 spec with the 85/15 pickups as well - particularly given there are not many of those left out there new.

I came across this one, which just had got added to Reverb within the past couple of weeks, and the looks of it blew me away. I wanted something modern and sort heavy and gothic looking. The Purple Mist SC 594 acquisition taught me that now I seem to like Black Backs and Necks - which really surprises me, that wasn't the case in the past for me.

Here it is:

k3pPawP.jpg

aAp0PIz.jpg

kMmISaT.jpg

udBZKHV.jpg

mZdyLV4.jpg

An1Zcv4.jpg

y6HfFXn.jpg

Holy cow - I love it! It plays great, sounds great. It has such a mean look and vibe, it inspires me to grab it for playing certain types of things, more so heavy rock and metal to match the vibe.

I took the side angle shots because I am finding that slim body of the Custom 24 looks pretty awesome (sexy?), especially in this finish.

Okay, that's it! I am going to take a break now on buying and just play and enjoy what I have acquired to get back into playing. (Yeah right - famous last words! :))

Great score MA Pete! Are you aware of the Gothic PS run that Danville Music has been doing? He has some killer stuff like you have never seen before when it comes to PRS gothic! Here is a link to one of them (I will not post pictures here as this thread belongs to your new guitar) ;~)) They have I think 5 right now with the gothic fretboard inlays!! Congrats on the new CU24, looks killer!

Great score MA Pete! Are you aware of the Gothic PS run that Danville Music has been doing? He has some killer stuff like you have never seen before when it comes to PRS gothic! Here is a link to one of them (I will not post pictures here as this thread belongs to your new guitar) ;~)) They have I think 5 right now with the gothic fretboard inlays!! Congrats on the new CU24, looks killer!

Thanks!

Yes, those guitars are amazing! I have seen those on Reverb. Those break several of my "rules" - I have learned that I really want to stick with the traditional wood formula of Mahogany Body and Neck, Maple Top and Rosewood Board. Any deviation from that does not end well for me, I generally end up not liking the tone over time. So I try to stay away from anything with a Maple Neck, Maple or Ebony Board, Black Limba or Swamp Ash Body, etc. Maybe I will get a little more adventurous in that regard down the road, but not right now as I was rebuilding a core collection again with a variety of PRS Guitars.

The Core Guitars are so darn good these days (to me the move to the Nitro finish in 2020 was a big change for the positive) that I am reluctant to invest in another Private Stock beyond the one that I have. (Unless I spec one myself, which I may initiate later this year.)

Killer guitars, though!

I am now quite pleased with the collection - I am a little heavy on Custom 24's with the 3 of them, but I think they are complementary to each other, and I am enjoying really getting into that model for the first time in my 20 year+ PRS journey. I am also digging having the 2 Singlecuts, the Tremonti and the SC 594. Of the two SC's I am preferring the Tremonti (which now has 5708 pickups), but having the SC 594 for the sole short scale example is very nice to mix it up. And of course the 25" McCarty, which is kind of my historical "home base", an ode to my extensive historical Ted McCarty DC 245 and DC 594 love from the past, but in a 25" scale. I don't have a favorite, which is great! I play them all fairly equally, and each day I might have a different favorite, which I think is cool. :)

Okay, this will be my last one for a while. :)

A Custom 2408, in Faded Whale Blue. I wanted a 2408 with the 85/15 Pickups. I already had the amazing Private Stock Custom 24, but with the 5-Way Blade switching, and also I didn't want to have the Private Stock get a lot of playing as a primary guitar, I wanted to have that one get less play and less wear. I have the 2024 spec Custom 2408, with the Paul's Guitar pickups. It is great! But I am really digging the Custom 24 model, wanted to get a 2408 in the 2023 spec with the 85/15 pickups as well - particularly given there are not many of those left out there new.

I came across this one, which just had got added to Reverb within the past couple of weeks, and the looks of it blew me away. I wanted something modern and sort heavy and gothic looking. The Purple Mist SC 594 acquisition taught me that now I seem to like Black Backs and Necks - which really surprises me, that wasn't the case in the past for me.

Here it is:

k3pPawP.jpg

aAp0PIz.jpg

kMmISaT.jpg

udBZKHV.jpg

mZdyLV4.jpg

An1Zcv4.jpg

y6HfFXn.jpg

Holy cow - I love it! It plays great, sounds great. It has such a mean look and vibe, it inspires me to grab it for playing certain types of things, more so heavy rock and metal to match the vibe.

I took the side angle shots because I am finding that slim body of the Custom 24 looks pretty awesome (sexy?), especially in this finish.

Okay, that's it! I am going to take a break now on buying and just play and enjoy what I have acquired to get back into playing. (Yeah right - famous last words! :))
That is indeed Heavy and Gothic looking. Not all faded whale blue does that, but with the right figure, it's perfect.
Also nothing can quite beat the Custom 24 as a regular gigging guitar. My particular flavour of choice is my Purple Piezo, but I think any of them would do.
Hope you have a great time taking this out

That is indeed Heavy and Gothic looking. Not all faded whale blue does that, but with the right figure, it's perfect.
Also nothing can quite beat the Custom 24 as a regular gigging guitar. My particular flavour of choice is my Purple Piezo, but I think any of them would do.
Hope you have a great time taking this out

I totally agree with your comment about Faded Whale Blue - it needs the right sort of Flame to look amazing like this one does. It is not at all the same with a really tight flame. When I saw this one, I knew immediately that I had to have it! :)

I am not playing out at all these days, I am too busy for work to commit to rehearsals and gigs, and also 7 months a year I am spending a lot of time at my Race Track with my son. I will have to find the right balance later this year with regard to the Race Track and getting back into playing guitar. Maybe a couple/few years down the road I can look at doing something with a band.

On another note - I really enjoyed your recent video on "Did More Guitars Make Me Happy?":

I would tend to agree with you with your assessment that the right number might be about 10 or so (I think the average has probably been 6-9), not including any requirements for 7 or 8 stringers for Drop Tunings. For the bulk of my serious collecting/consuming adventure from 2009 to 2024, I have usually been just under 10 at one time, but cycled through over 150 during those 15 years (averaging 10 per year, I guess!) and over 100 of those were PRS Guitars, the rest Gibson (mostly Custom Shop), Fender (mostly Custom Shop), Knaggs, Collings, b3 and Patrick James Eggle. Clearly, PRS has been the primary focus.

And in my "less than 10" over the years I have off and on ignored the Strat side of things, I am more centered around the Gibson wood formula of construction and tones. I am at 6 now in rebuilding the collection (since Dec 23, that was quick!). I will probably eventually add a single Strat sort of guitar (for the principle of the matter and to check that box, I will probably rarely play it). I have an interest in checking out a 594 Sanatana, to experience that. I may spec a Private Stock later this year to align with my new preferences, not sure what yet. If I did all three of those, that would get me to 9, which right now seems like a lot and perhaps one or two too many. :)

I am definitely getting to diminishing returns with regards to any incremental value and enjoyment for any additional purchases! Anyway, thanks for yet another thought provoking video - you are on a roll with great videos!

Last edited:
hella sweet, pete! love how you're so into blue lately!

Yeah - I am surprised by that trend, but I am digging them!

That's quite a change from back in the day when 75%+ of mine were some sort of vintage finish. Now lots of Blue, Green and Purple, and 2 with Black Backs and Necks. A midlife crisis of guitar colors, YOLO! :)

SsB9wE2.jpg

I would tend to agree with you with your assessment that the right number might be about 10 or so (I think the average has probably been 6-9), not including any requirements for 7 or 8 stringers for Drop Tunings.
I'm not sure there's a 'right number' that fits every player. For some it's one. For others, the sky's the limit. And the right number seems to change not only from player to player, but from time to time.

Currently I'm down to four electrics, though I usually go with five or six. However, I'm spending a lot of time composing orchestral music. Four feels like the right number today. If that changes tomorrow, cool. Whatever works is good.

I'm not sure there's a 'right number' that fits every player. For some it's one. For others, the sky's the limit. And the right number seems to change not only from player to player, but from time to time.

Currently I'm down to four electrics, though I usually go with five or six. However, I'm spending a lot of time composing orchestral music. Four feels like the right number today. If that changes tomorrow, cool. Whatever works is good.
I'm at eleven here... must be a movie reference...
Probably going to downsize...

Back