Another MA Pete Return NGD: Singlecut 594 in Purple Mist

Ha-ha! That is indeed Paul Rodgers in the pic on the wall behind the guitar, good eye. That is my wife and I in a picture with Paul, Mick Ralphs and Simon Kirke at a Bad Company concert in 2013.

iaJL2CI.jpg

(I have a lot more grey hair now, and a longer grey beard - LOL!)

It was an amazing night - and it was one of many times when Howard Leese was an incredibly gracious host and guitar friend. We had VIP passes for a picture with the band prior to the show, and then backstage afterwards. (The pics were with the original 3 Bad Company members, that is why Howard was not in the picture.) Howard waited in line with my wife and I while waiting to take the picture before the concert, chatting about guitar and touring stuff. When it was our turn to take the picture, Howard introduced me to them as his guitar friend, and said - "remember that Beach Cross Fade PRS Guitar I played on the Jay Leno show last year? Pete traded that one to me."

Here is that guitar (a DC 245, or course!), I traded several with Howard, and it was great fun to see him gig those over the years.

lzGmLOl.jpg

During the show, we were in the front row. Howard and Mick came over to us several times and played some dueling solos for us right in front of us, which was awesome.

9oirUQm.jpg

We went backstage after the show. Howard had already gone to the hotel, but we got to spend some time with Simon, who was a great guy, and also thanked Paul for a great show. Simon gave my wife his drumsticks from the night.

I dug Bad Company growing up, but Free is one of my favorite Classic Rock bands in the context of playing guitar (Paul Kossoff - one of the best ever!), and Paul is my all time favorite Classic Rock singer. It was an honor to chat with Paul, Simon and Mick, and that introduction from Howard as his guitar friend really made it a special thing. Howard rocks!

My wife to this day still says that was the best concert experience she has ever had, by a longshot!

Thanks for sharing that memory Pete, seems like you and I share common love for Paul Rodgers and Paul Kossoff (such a loss at a young age:().

I got to see Paul (R) play live on July 6 1991 (a few days after my 21st birthday) at Milton Keynes bowl, with his band at that the time “The Law”. I got to hear Paul sing “Alright Now”, a favourite of mine and a song that I’ve now gigged for 36 years (wow as I write this, that seems a long time).

Paul Rodgers has been a vocal hero of mine ever since I heard his voice on the radio as a young kid. My Dad worked from home (artist) and he would have the radio on in the house. “My Brother Jake” would have been a hit at the time, with Paul (K’s) guitar wizardry weaving behind the vocal. Such a talented young man.

Thanks for this trip down memory lane, both to my childhood and to my misspent youth (haha).

Here’s a pic of me in my first band (circa 1988) “Original Gravity”, probably playing “Alright Now”.

And here’s my latest band “Bad Influence”, I’m most definitely singing a Free song (you know which one) here -

Thanks again Pete. Happy PRS journey to you.

Yes, I am on a roll rebuilding the collection! :) But I am going to try to chill now, I think I have the diversity I wanted, at least to get going on this new chapter of my journey. (Famous last words - I believe I have said that many times before, completely in vain.)

This one has come from a very interesting process for me. After getting going with a great variety of four 25 inch PRS guitars, I decided I wanted to dip my toe in the water again with a 594 of some sort. That ended up being a little more difficult than expected, but I was happy with the result and learned/confirmed some things along the way.

In wanting to try a 594 again, I was torn between Doublecut and Singlecut 594's, as always. I had loved the Doublecuts basically as a 594 version of my love for the 25 inch McCarty model, the compactness of it and the great ergonomics. But also when I had several DC 594s back in 2016 and the Singlecut 594 came out, I became smitten with those and went more so that route. When I went again with the 594's in 2020, I had and liked both a lot, but had a slight preference for the Singlecuts.

I had a tough time selecting a 594 in Singlecut or Doublecut, based on finish, top and weight - online. I ended up ordering a Doublecut, and received it Thursday. Visually, it was stunning, I gasped when I open the case. With regard to feel and tone, it was not for me, which was a disappointment. It was good - but "this time around" I am trying to focus on stellar feel and tone, and not as much about how pretty it looks hanging on the wall. My criteria for feel and tone is that it must be "awesome" and blow my mind, or I have to return it. I have been really lucky so far here in December 2023 and in 2024, with great examples from a feel and tone perspective - the Custom 24 PS that I played in person at CME and was blown away by, the McCarty and the Tremonti Trem that Eric at Willcutt Guitars hand selected for me from multiple examples (he is always great for me at that!), and the Custom 24 TCI. With a heavy heart, I returned the DC 594 that looked incredible, but was not a fit with respect to feel and tone.

So then I decided I needed to play some 594's in person, so I headed down to CME again yesterday and spent a few hours playing many guitars. I even brought my Custom 24 PS for a reference guitar to make sure the bar was set high for comparison. I played several Core and Private Stock 594's, both Singlecut and Doublecut, and a few other models.

There was a Core DC 594 that was really good, it was on the short list for a while. There was a Private Stock DC 594 that was also really good. But when I got to the SC 594's, there was one that crushed both of the DC's. It was "bigger" sounding and punchier, and still had a terrific clarity, better clarity than the 2 DC's, with the test of all of the riffs and parts of songs I use to test that sort of thing when testing a guitar. As with last time David A at CME helped me in the room to A/B all of the guitars relative to the Custom 24 Private Stock. He agreed that the SC 594 was the pick of the litter, for what I was playing and what I was looking for.

The finish and top really isn't my thing, but again I have to stay true to my new criteria. I don't generally buy Black guitars for the same reason I don't buy Black cars - they show every little smudge! That said, I do like Purple Guitars, and this one does have a cool vibe. Kind of mean and Gothic. I don't love how the bottom of the top becomes mostly Black visually, but you don't really see that when you are playing it. I do like it visually though, it is cool, and I think it looks better in real life than in pictures.

The feel of it is amazing, and the tone is killer. I have to make myself prioritize those things first and foremost! With the Custom 24 PS and this one, I feel like I didn't chose the guitars, they chose me. Which is cool.

Tonally the best two SC 594's I owned previously were first and foremost the SC 594 Prototype Private Stock I acquired in 2016, which was likely one of the very first SC 594's made. Several of the Chicago guys here have played that and many have said that was the best sounding Singlecut PRS they have heard. (Foolishly, I sold that in 2020.) A close second was a 2020 Prototype (when they went to the Nitro Core finish) that I bought from CME. This one is at least as good as that 2020 Prototype, if not a little better, re feel and tone. (I do like the looks and vibe of the 2020 Prototype better, more Vintage.)

So here it is:

6brzZ3K.jpg

401SHaf.jpg

muORa33.jpg

uLlZBXC.jpg

5tdLCGx.jpg

XvL9gff.jpg

RNwm5kA.jpg

zxvqDs4.jpg

Other thoughts from the 594 experience again, and from the CME trip:

It was very interesting playing several 594's again, the DC 594 and the many DC and SC 594's at CME. The 594 scale felt like home to me, it was amazing to reconnect with it! When I first experienced it again with the DC 594 I got in, I must admit, I got a little teary-eyed.

I was worried about reconnecting too much with it, at the expense of not loving the 25 inch scale as much, which would be a problem, since the rest of the collection is 25 inch. Not the case, thankfully, I am still very much digging going back and forth between the two, and can do so easily. Whew!

At CME I also played a Private Stock DGT. I confirmed yet again that DGTs are NOT for me! LOL. The narrower Nut Width and resulting string spacing completely throws me off, as do the gigantic frets. Great tones, though!

I also played a Private Stock Santana. Great guitar! I could definitely feel that subtle difference the 594 scale and the 245 scale, very much so. I would not want to try to go back and forth between the two scale lengths. Playing that Santana really reaffirmed for me the excitement about the 2024 Santana's being 594-scaled, and with a 10" radius. I am definitely looking forward to checking one of those out when they start showing up. In fact, I am more excited about the notion of a 594-scaled Santana being a complement to the SC 594 than the notion of getting a DC 594 (been there and done that?), much like a Custom 24 is to a 25 inch McCarty - as I mentioned on the 2024 Santana threads.

Next up in my focus is Amps - maybe one more tube amp, and a Kemper (again)...
Purple mist is one of my absolute favourite colours. But it is very sensitive to top and can get a bit dark on some guitars. But I have to say, your guitar is just the perfect top for the colour and the right level of outstanding.
I also sense a Santana in your future

Purple mist is one of my absolute favourite colours. But it is very sensitive to top and can get a bit dark on some guitars. But I have to say, your guitar is just the perfect top for the colour and the right level of outstanding.
I also sense a Santana in your future

Thanks! I am really digging the looks of the Purple Mist SC 594. I didn't think I liked guitars with Black Backs and Necks, but I really like it on the SC 594. The Binding looks cool against the Black looking down at the neck, it is a great contrast.

There seem to be a lot of things different for me this time around after taking 3 years off from guitar completely, and getting back into it now and rebuilding the collection. It is really surprising me, in a good and fun way.

Here are a few of the key things that have been way different:
- I am preferring the 25 inch scale over the 594 scale - but still enjoying having a 594.
- I seem to have lost some bias for excluding consideration of certain guitars, which I think comes from the many years of focus on the Ted's and 594s.
- I was a snob for being fairly adamant about my guitars having binding on the neck. That rules out a lot of PRS guitars!
- I didn't think I liked the PRS Pattern Thin Neck Carve. Now I don't seem to mind it at all.
- I also seem to be more adventurous on finishes, previously I over-rotated on the vintage finishes, this time around 4 of 5 (soon to be 5 of 6) have more so colorful Modern finishes. (Although I do absolute love the McCarty Sunburst McCarty).
- I seem to really like the Trem equipped guitars, for two reasons - (1) the Trem resonance/vibrations generally makes for a more lively resonance in the guitar, and (2) I prefer that lower to the body feel of the Trem bridge

Now preferring the 25 inch scale, not minding if the guitar has binding, liking the Pattern Thin neck, and liking the Trem guitars really has opened things up for me for "this time around" to be very different, which is great fun. I imagine it would be kind of pointless and boring to just rebuild a collection of PRS Short Scale guitars again, for like the 4th time. :)

The biggest change for me is liking the Custom 24 for the first time ever. And liking it a LOT! As I posted on another thread, I have a third one on the way - a 2023 Custom 2408 with the 8515 Pickups. I like the new Custom 2408 with the Paul's Guitar pickups, but I wanted to also try a Custom 24 with the 2408 switching and traditional pickups, and maybe play around with what PRS pickups are in it to fine tune it.

This one is in Faded Whale Blue, I really liked the top and finish and how they worked together. Another guitar with a Black Back and Neck, go figure.

And yes, there probably will be a 2024 594 Santana in my future, I am looking forward to trying one of those! ;)

Thanks for sharing that memory Pete, seems like you and I share common love for Paul Rodgers and Paul Kossoff (such a loss at a young age:().

I got to see Paul (R) play live on July 6 1991 (a few days after my 21st birthday) at Milton Keynes bowl, with his band at that the time “The Law”. I got to hear Paul sing “Alright Now”, a favourite of mine and a song that I’ve now gigged for 36 years (wow as I write this, that seems a long time).

Paul Rodgers has been a vocal hero of mine ever since I heard his voice on the radio as a young kid. My Dad worked from home (artist) and he would have the radio on in the house. “My Brother Jake” would have been a hit at the time, with Paul (K’s) guitar wizardry weaving behind the vocal. Such a talented young man.

Thanks for this trip down memory lane, both to my childhood and to my misspent youth (haha).

Here’s a pic of me in my first band (circa 1988) “Original Gravity”, probably playing “Alright Now”.

And here’s my latest band “Bad Influence”, I’m most definitely singing a Free song (you know which one) here -

Thanks again Pete. Happy PRS journey to you.

That is great! Thanks for sharing your Paul Rodgers / Free / Paul Kossoff story!

Yes, I am on a roll rebuilding the collection! :) But I am going to try to chill now, I think I have the diversity I wanted, at least to get going on this new chapter of my journey. (Famous last words - I believe I have said that many times before, completely in vain.)

This one has come from a very interesting process for me. After getting going with a great variety of four 25 inch PRS guitars, I decided I wanted to dip my toe in the water again with a 594 of some sort. That ended up being a little more difficult than expected, but I was happy with the result and learned/confirmed some things along the way.

In wanting to try a 594 again, I was torn between Doublecut and Singlecut 594's, as always. I had loved the Doublecuts basically as a 594 version of my love for the 25 inch McCarty model, the compactness of it and the great ergonomics. But also when I had several DC 594s back in 2016 and the Singlecut 594 came out, I became smitten with those and went more so that route. When I went again with the 594's in 2020, I had and liked both a lot, but had a slight preference for the Singlecuts.

I had a tough time selecting a 594 in Singlecut or Doublecut, based on finish, top and weight - online. I ended up ordering a Doublecut, and received it Thursday. Visually, it was stunning, I gasped when I open the case. With regard to feel and tone, it was not for me, which was a disappointment. It was good - but "this time around" I am trying to focus on stellar feel and tone, and not as much about how pretty it looks hanging on the wall. My criteria for feel and tone is that it must be "awesome" and blow my mind, or I have to return it. I have been really lucky so far here in December 2023 and in 2024, with great examples from a feel and tone perspective - the Custom 24 PS that I played in person at CME and was blown away by, the McCarty and the Tremonti Trem that Eric at Willcutt Guitars hand selected for me from multiple examples (he is always great for me at that!), and the Custom 24 TCI. With a heavy heart, I returned the DC 594 that looked incredible, but was not a fit with respect to feel and tone.

So then I decided I needed to play some 594's in person, so I headed down to CME again yesterday and spent a few hours playing many guitars. I even brought my Custom 24 PS for a reference guitar to make sure the bar was set high for comparison. I played several Core and Private Stock 594's, both Singlecut and Doublecut, and a few other models.

There was a Core DC 594 that was really good, it was on the short list for a while. There was a Private Stock DC 594 that was also really good. But when I got to the SC 594's, there was one that crushed both of the DC's. It was "bigger" sounding and punchier, and still had a terrific clarity, better clarity than the 2 DC's, with the test of all of the riffs and parts of songs I use to test that sort of thing when testing a guitar. As with last time David A at CME helped me in the room to A/B all of the guitars relative to the Custom 24 Private Stock. He agreed that the SC 594 was the pick of the litter, for what I was playing and what I was looking for.

The finish and top really isn't my thing, but again I have to stay true to my new criteria. I don't generally buy Black guitars for the same reason I don't buy Black cars - they show every little smudge! That said, I do like Purple Guitars, and this one does have a cool vibe. Kind of mean and Gothic. I don't love how the bottom of the top becomes mostly Black visually, but you don't really see that when you are playing it. I do like it visually though, it is cool, and I think it looks better in real life than in pictures.

The feel of it is amazing, and the tone is killer. I have to make myself prioritize those things first and foremost! With the Custom 24 PS and this one, I feel like I didn't chose the guitars, they chose me. Which is cool.

Tonally the best two SC 594's I owned previously were first and foremost the SC 594 Prototype Private Stock I acquired in 2016, which was likely one of the very first SC 594's made. Several of the Chicago guys here have played that and many have said that was the best sounding Singlecut PRS they have heard. (Foolishly, I sold that in 2020.) A close second was a 2020 Prototype (when they went to the Nitro Core finish) that I bought from CME. This one is at least as good as that 2020 Prototype, if not a little better, re feel and tone. (I do like the looks and vibe of the 2020 Prototype better, more Vintage.)

So here it is:

6brzZ3K.jpg

401SHaf.jpg

muORa33.jpg

uLlZBXC.jpg

5tdLCGx.jpg

XvL9gff.jpg

RNwm5kA.jpg

zxvqDs4.jpg

Other thoughts from the 594 experience again, and from the CME trip:

It was very interesting playing several 594's again, the DC 594 and the many DC and SC 594's at CME. The 594 scale felt like home to me, it was amazing to reconnect with it! When I first experienced it again with the DC 594 I got in, I must admit, I got a little teary-eyed.

I was worried about reconnecting too much with it, at the expense of not loving the 25 inch scale as much, which would be a problem, since the rest of the collection is 25 inch. Not the case, thankfully, I am still very much digging going back and forth between the two, and can do so easily. Whew!

At CME I also played a Private Stock DGT. I confirmed yet again that DGTs are NOT for me! LOL. The narrower Nut Width and resulting string spacing completely throws me off, as do the gigantic frets. Great tones, though!

I also played a Private Stock Santana. Great guitar! I could definitely feel that subtle difference the 594 scale and the 245 scale, very much so. I would not want to try to go back and forth between the two scale lengths. Playing that Santana really reaffirmed for me the excitement about the 2024 Santana's being 594-scaled, and with a 10" radius. I am definitely looking forward to checking one of those out when they start showing up. In fact, I am more excited about the notion of a 594-scaled Santana being a complement to the SC 594 than the notion of getting a DC 594 (been there and done that?), much like a Custom 24 is to a 25 inch McCarty - as I mentioned on the 2024 Santana threads.

Next up in my focus is Amps - maybe one more tube amp, and a Kemper (again)...
Gorgeous purple! Damn GAS! thinking I might need a SC McCarty 25" scale in purple to keep my DC Eriza Verde 594 company.

Gorgeous purple! Damn GAS! thinking I might need a SC McCarty 25" scale in purple to keep my DC Eriza Verde 594 company.

Interesting comment, PSA - I do have my Purple Iris 25" Singlecut (Tremonti Trem) up for sale on Reverb and TGP right now! ;)

This one:

OgYS1aa.jpg

It is a killer one! Gorgeous top, and plays and sounds great.

Back