NGD: Late 2023 build of the new 2024 Model - Custom 2408 with the Paul's Guitar TCI Pickups

MA Pete

Pattern Thin Convert!
So my adventure continues getting back into playing guitar here in 2024, and rebuilding a PRS collection.

Got this in yesterday:

YUHxsKP.jpg

strWXRC.jpg

Byfl1c8.jpg

uE7OzHc.jpg

2dgpGou.jpg

I actually really like the Tuner Knobs, they look really good in person IMO, especially on a Custom 24.

H2nkadf.jpg

uYancNN.jpg

What is going on in the Universe? I am turning into a Custom 24 guy? LOL... ;)

I am very impressed with this guitar, I had certain expectations of it and so far it is exceeding my expectations.

My context (as mentioned on the other thread) is that I seem to be really locked in in my preferences for PRS guitars with the traditional Gibson wood formula, Mahogany Body, Mahogany Neck, Maple Top and Rosewood Board. Every time I try some deviation away from that, I don't end up loving the guitar. I have tried about every variation of PRS guitar that leans towards fenders tones. And when I say that, I mean pretty much every one PRS has ever made. Nothing really ever stuck with me. So your mileage may vary as they say - this is my context, which may be very different from other peoples' context.

This time around I am focused more so on 25" scale length PRS guitars, for now at least. And I seem to also be favoring Trem-equipped guitars at this point as well. I was looking at Paul's Guitars and Modern Eagle V's, and nothing available out there really jumped out at me with regards to a finish and top. (I am still very vain in that regard! That hasn't changed.) When I saw this one, I was very intrigued - since I had acquired that Custom 24 Private Stock and really liked it, whereas I had never bonded with Custom 24's as much before, having owned a few, including one that I played out with my band a few times.

This time around I wanted to try another Paul's Guitar or Paul's Guitar variation (like a Modern Eagle V, or now this new 2024 Model), since the new revision of the Paul's Guitar TCI pickups in 2019 or so.

I wanted a Trem-based guitar, and I preferred to start with the 408 sort of configuration (like in the Paul's Guitar and in this new model) versus the additional complexity of the Modern Eagle V with the third pickup and the 5 Way - that seems more complicated, almost too many choices. Maybe I will later consider a Modern Eagle V, but when I saw this model and two to choose from available (the other one is also sold now, after I posted a PSA on it yesterday), I grabbed this one pretty quickly.

I had owned two Signature 408's back when those came out, and later a DC 245 Private Stock with 408 Signature Pickups and Switching / Electronics. I was very fond of that DC 245 408 Sig PS, I gigged it for a couple of years. I really liked the Pickups and the switching.

I owned a 2020 Paul's Guitar briefly in 2020, but I never really gave it a chance, I sold it or traded it fairly soon after I got it, to fund another 594 with the 594 madness that was going on at the time.

The singlecoil tones are great - FOR ME and my preferences, criteria and context. They are not pure Strat sort of Singlecoil tones - for that, buy a Strat or a Silver Sky. But for me, I wanted something true to my seemingly very hard preference for the Gibson Wood Formula for a PRS guitar, a 25" scale length, Pattern Thin or Pattern Nut Width and resulting string spacing, 10" Radius and PRS Medium Jumbo Frets. With those very strict criteria, this guitar is terrific for what I want it to be.

I put it through the paces last night with a variety of tones through a Metropolis Superplex 100W Amp, which is a terrific JTM45/100 KT66-based head, which is great for sparkly cleans, cleans at the edge of breakup, all the way to some great rock tones and even pushing a little bit into some metal tones with pedals.

The cleans and cleans at the edge of breakup are amazing, in both Humbucker and Singlecoil settings, across the Bridge, Neck and Middle Positions (my favorite is always the Bridge). At the edge of breakup, there are a lot of dynamics to be had, cleans with the Singlecoil on the Neck and switching to the Humbucker on the bridge, in that classic way.

These pickups are very sensitive to settings with the volume knob and the tone knob. I think more so than other more traditionally designed pickups.

The Singlecoil tones with Medium to High Gain are very good as well - great for Hendrix sort of tones, which is important to me. You do get Singlecoil hum, which is more noticeable with higher gain. These are truly Singlecoil Pickups when selected as such.

What I was most surprised about was how awesome the tone was on the Bridge in Humbucker mode for Rock tones. Really fantastic! The trick is dialing the tone in for that. I hadn't figured that out previously with the Paul's Guitar in 2020, back then I had the Amps set for the 5815 LT's in 594's, and didn't play around enough with the settings to find the great Bridge Humbucker tones that were available.

There are two tricks to get that tone. Number one, it helps to darken up the tone with the tone control on the guitar by turning the tone knob down to 5-7. Number two, you can thicken up the tone by turning up the Bass a bit on the Amp, at least for a Marshally sort of amp. In doing those two things, I found I could get the Bridge Humbucker to sound as good as the 5815 LT Pickups in the McCarty or the Private Stock Custom 24, for those medium to high gain Rock tones.

When I figured that out, I was quite blown away - I didn't think that would be possible. I am sold on these pickups, and the 408 switching configuration.

I don't play out with a band these days, but if I did, this would be the guitar I would grab for a gig.

I think the expectation is that this model will be announced as a new Core model for 2024, at NAMM late this month. There were a few that showed up as early builds from late 2023, three so far that I have seen, in dealers and posted here previously.

More to follow here as I get more time with it. And no doubt soon we will pull together a "2024 Windy City Tonefest" with the local crew here (like we did in 2020), for others to compare and review.

Last edited:
Agghh its beautiful, congrats!!!

Aside from the 2024 pickup shift, is the main difference between a regular cu24 and a 2408 the coil tap switches instead of push/pull?

Thanks!

Yes, that is the primary difference between the two derivatives of the Custom 24, the 5-Way versus 408 Switching. I think it was very smart to move the Custom 2408 to the Paul's Guitar pickups for 2024, to provide for more differentiation between the two options.

Oh yeah! Blue guitars rule! :cool:

Sweet top!

Thanks!

Yes, I love the top! My criteria these days seems to be more so a good top than what the color is. This blue was originally labeled on Reverb as Aquamarine, and right before I bought it was switched to "Carroll Blue" - no doubt a new Core finish name for 2024. It comes off as a pure bright blue in pictures. In real life, it has a little more green in the color that shows up in the pictures. I am not much of a Blue/Green kind of guy normally for guitars, and somehow I have two, LOL!

A couple of other comments on the finish. Over time, PRS has darkened the tone of the "Natural" backs and necks, it is much closer to the Private Stock "Antique Natural" backs, which I think is a HUGE improvement in looks. The two 2023 ones seem even a little darker than some of the 2020 ones. (I really didn't love the much lighter colored backs and necks from the pre-2020 Core models with Natural Backs and Necks.) Thank you, PRS! They are looking amazing these days! That has been a big improvement.

Also the Rosewood Board is nice and dark in color, like I like them, and that provides for a very nice contrast between the darker Natural Finished Neck and the top edge of the board. It looks very nice looking down at the top edge while playing, which is important to me. (As I have mentioned, "this time around" - I no longer seem to be a binding snob. I think the darker Natural Neck color and the contrast with a nice dark fingerboard has helped with that, for the 2 Natural backed Core guitars I have purchased.)

Also, my experience this year so far in getting back into guitars is the same as my 2020 adventure - that the fit and finish of the 2020+ Nitro finished PRS Core Guitars is something special. The fit and finish is amazing, and the consistency of great feel and tone is quite impressive. The three 2023 Core guitar builds have all been exceptional in feel and tone. Something magical is going on at the PRS factory these days.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Yes, that is the primary difference between the two derivatives of the Custom 24, the 5-Way versus 408 Switching. I think it was very smart to move the Custom 2408 to the Paul's Guitar pickups for 2024, to provide for more differentiation between the two options.

Thanks!

Yes, I love the top! My criteria these days seems to be more so a good top than what the color is. This blue was originally labeled on Reverb as Aquamarine, and right before I bought it was switched to "Carroll Blue" - no doubt a new Core finish name for 2024. It comes off as a pure bright blue in pictures. In real life, it has a little more green in the color that shows up in the pictures. I am not much of a Blue/Green kind of guy normally for guitars, and somehow I have two, LOL!

A couple of other comments on the finish. Over time, PRS has darkened the tone of the "Natural" backs and necks, it is much closer to the Private Stock "Antique Natural" backs, which I think is a HUGE improvement in looks. The two 2023 ones seem even a little darker than some of the 2020 ones. (I really didn't love the much lighter colored backs and necks from the pre-2020 Core models with Natural Backs and Necks.) Thank you, PRS! They are looking amazing these days! That has been a big improvement.

Also the Rosewood Board is nice and dark in color, like I like them, and that provides for a very nice contrast between the darker Natural Finished Neck and the top edge of the board. It looks very nice looking down at the top edge while playing, which is important to me. (As I have mentioned, "this time around" - I no longer seem to be a binding snob. I think the darker Natural Neck color and the contrast with a nice dark fingerboard has helped with that, for the 2 Natural backed Core guitars I have purchased.)

Also, my experience this year so far in getting back into guitars is the same as my 2020 adventure - that the fit and finish of the 2020+ Nitro finished PRS Core Guitars is something special. The fit and finish is amazing, and the consistency of great feel and tone is quite impressive. The three 2023 Core guitar builds have all been exceptional in feel and tone. Something magical is going on at the PRS factory these days.
Interesting on the color name. It looks a lot like the Aquamarine Studios that I was looking at when I bought mine.

So my adventure continues getting back into playing guitar here in 2024, and rebuilding a PRS collection.

Got this in yesterday:

YUHxsKP.jpg

strWXRC.jpg

Byfl1c8.jpg

uE7OzHc.jpg

2dgpGou.jpg

I actually really like the Tuner Knobs, they look really good in person IMO, especially on a Custom 24.

H2nkadf.jpg

uYancNN.jpg

What is going on in the Universe? I am turning into a Custom 24 guy? LOL... ;)

I am very impressed with this guitar, I had certain expectations of it and so far it is exceeding my expectations.

My context (as mentioned on the other thread) is that I seem to be really locked in in my preferences for PRS guitars with the traditional Gibson wood formula, Mahogany Body, Mahogany Neck, Maple Top and Rosewood Board. Every time I try some deviation away from that, I don't end up loving the guitar. I have tried about every variation of PRS guitar that leans towards fenders tones. And when I say that, I mean pretty much every one PRS has ever made. Nothing really ever stuck with me. So your mileage may vary as they say - this is my context, which may be very different from other peoples' context.

This time around I am focused more so on 25" scale length PRS guitars, for now at least. And I seem to also be favoring Trem-equipped guitars at this point as well. I was looking at Paul's Guitars and Modern Eagle V's, and nothing available out there really jumped out at me with regards to a finish and top. (I am still very vain in that regard! That hasn't changed.) When I saw this one, I was very intrigued - since I had acquired that Custom 24 Private Stock and really liked it, whereas I had never bonded with Custom 24's as much before, having owned a few, including one that I played out with my band a few times.

This time around I wanted to try another Paul's Guitar or Paul's Guitar variation (like a Modern Eagle V, or now this new 2024 Model), since the new revision of the Paul's Guitar TCI pickups in 2019 or so.

I wanted a Trem-based guitar, and I preferred to start with the 408 sort of configuration (like in the Paul's Guitar and in this new model) versus the additional complexity of the Modern Eagle V with the third pickup and the 5 Way - that seems more complicated, almost too many choices. Maybe I will later consider a Modern Eagle V, but when I saw this model and two to choose from available (the other one is also sold now, after I posted a PSA on it yesterday), I grabbed this one pretty quickly.

I had owned two Signature 408's back when those came out, and later a DC 245 Private Stock with 408 Signature Pickups and Switching / Electronics. I was very fond of that DC 245 408 Sig PS, I gigged it for a couple of years. I really liked the Pickups and the switching.

I owned a 2020 Paul's Guitar briefly in 2020, but I never really gave it a chance, I sold it or traded it fairly soon after I got it, to fund another 594 with the 594 madness that was going on at the time.

The singlecoil tones are great - FOR ME and my preferences, criteria and context. They are not pure Strat sort of Singlecoil tones - for that, buy a Strat or a Silver Sky. But for me, I wanted something true to my seemingly very hard preference for the Gibson Wood Formula for a PRS guitar, a 25" scale length, Pattern Thin or Pattern Nut Width and resulting string spacing, 10" Radius and PRS Medium Jumbo Frets. With those very strict criteria, this guitar is terrific for what I want it to be.

I put it through the paces last night with a variety of tones through a Metropolis Superplex 100W Amp, which is a terrific JTM45/100 KT66-based head, which is great for sparkly cleans, cleans at the edge of breakup, all the way to some great rock tones and even pushing a little bit into some metal tones with pedals.

The cleans and cleans at the edge of breakup are amazing, in both Humbucker and Singlecoil settings, across the Bridge, Neck and Middle Positions (my favorite is always the Bridge). At the edge of breakup, there are a lot of dynamics to be had, cleans with the Singlecoil on the Neck and switching to the Humbucker on the bridge, in that classic way.

These pickups are very sensitive to settings with the volume knob and the tone knob. I think more so than other more traditionally designed pickups.

The Singlecoil tones with Medium to High Gain are very good as well - great for Hendrix sort of tones, which is important to me. You do get Singlecoil hum, which is more noticeable with higher gain. These are truly Singlecoil Pickups when selected as such.

What I was most surprised about was how awesome the tone was on the Bridge in Humbucker mode for Rock tones. Really fantastic! The trick is dialing the tone in for that. I hadn't figured that out previously with the Paul's Guitar in 2020, back then I had the Amps set for the 5815 LT's in 594's, and didn't play around enough with the settings to find the great Bridge Humbucker tones that were available.

There are two tricks to get that tone. Number one, it helps to darken up the tone with the tone control on the guitar by turning the tone knob down to 5-7. Number two, you can thicken up the tone by turning up the Bass a bit on the Amp, at least for a Marshally sort of amp. In doing those two things, I found I could get the Bridge Humbucker to sound as good as the 5815 LT Pickups in the McCarty or the Private Stock Custom 24, for those medium to high gain Rock tones.

When I figured that out, I was quite blown away - I didn't think that would be possible. I am sold on these pickups, and the 408 switching configuration.

I don't play out with a band these days, but if I did, this would be the guitar I would grab for a gig.

I think the expectation is that this model will be announced as a new Core model for 2024, at NAMM late this month. There were a few that showed up as early builds from late 2023, three so far that I have seen, in dealers and posted here previously.

More to follow here as I get more time with it. And no doubt soon we will pull together a "2024 Windy City Tonefest" with the local crew here (like we did in 2020), for others to compare and review.
What a stunning guitar! Congratulations! Have you played PRS guitars with Narrowfield pickups? If so how do they compare to the 408 style pickups on this guitar? I see the 408 style pick ups are splittable whereas the Narrowfields are not.

Beautiful guitar! Looking forward to the release video and upcoming wood library runs on these this year! Have me nostalgic for my old Brushstroke 24 and Custom 24 I had to let go of last year. Will be filling that gap with one of these.

Like the new larger tuner button design on these too - they seem to match really well with the pickup rings.

That's just gorgeous, Pete! I really liked the switching on my Sig Limited, too.

Let me know when you're doing the Petefest this year, I'll drive in.

My granddaughter's got a role in Billy Eliot (music by Elton John), another professional theater show in Chicagoland, so maybe I can do both things!

Yes, will do with regards to letting you know on the schedule for the 2024 Tonefest! :)

What a stunning guitar! Congratulations! Have you played PRS guitars with Narrowfield pickups? If so how do they compare to the 408 style pickups on this guitar? I see the 408 style pick ups are splittable whereas the Narrowfields are not.

I have. I seriously had tried every single PRS guitar aiming to get towards some Stratty tones, except the 513/509. I had just about every derivative that had Narrowfields. I just didn't "get" them or bond with them. Again, I think it is because they were too far of a departure from that tone in my head, and also because the tone, feel and vibe was so much different my my "home base" of that Gibson Wood Formula PRS. For instance the 305 and Silver Sky with the 25.5" scale length, the different Neck shapes (often based on the "Regular" Neck Carve and Nut Width, the 7.25" Radius and the tiny Frets on the Silver Sky (although I eventually got mine refretted to larger frets, which helped, but still I disliked the Board Radius).

Also it may just be that I just never spent the time with the other ones to figure them out. This time around I did take more time to figure it out, and this formula seems to work for me as I can get some tones towards the Stratty side, and still get Gibson Wood Formula PRS tones, from the same guitar.

And I just really like these pickups, the way the Humbuckers sound, and how genuine the Singlecoils sound. I am able to get Humbucker sounds I like, and Singlecoil sounds I like, from the same guitar. With multiple PRS guitars, and not playing guitars out in a band these days - you wouldn't think that should be a criteria. But honestly I don't think I have absolute conscious control over what I like and don't like. I am more so learning what works for me in my older and wiser years, and trying to make better decisions based upon that. :)

Back