The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

Nice one, Pete! Looks exactly like something you'd spec.

As far as I know korina (white limba) = black limba. They're the same species, but with different coloration.

Nice one, Pete! Looks exactly like something you'd spec.

As far as I know korina (white limba) = black limba. They're the same species, but with different coloration.

Garrett - Yes, I have heard the same thing, the same species, with different coloration. I dig them both, both tonally and visually!

My first was a Willcutt Guitars Wood Library DC 245 Ted, Mahogany body, Korina Neck. Eric at Willcutt's and Kingsley D had been ranting and raving about mixing Korina and Mahogany for years, so I finally tried one. It was the best sounding non-Private Stock Ted I had owned! I didn't keep it long though, as a couple of months later, the GOM 594 came out and rocked my world. It is for sale now at Distinctive Guitars, PSA:

Paul_Reed_Smith_McCarty_Wood_Library_Honey_Burst_DG2576_6__87830.1461189529.1280.1280.jpg

Then I tried a Singlecut in another brand with a Mahogany Back and Black Limba neck, that sounds incredible as well. (But I have it for sale now to fund more 594 PS madness... ;))

Then I came across the Righteous Guitars 594 WL guitars, bought one, loved it so much I bought another!

Black%20Fade%20Front%201_zpsh8gplohp.jpg

Black%20Fade%20Back%202_zpsqxgmytjm.jpg

IMG_0283_zps2f6xemkz.jpg

IMG_0286_zps8nykohkf.jpg

And then I saw Brian G's awesome creation, a 594 Trem (first Trem I have seen out there!), Black Limba Body, Korina Neck, could not resist:

DSC_7679.jpg

One of the two 594's I have in the oven is a DC 594 with a Mahogany Body and Korina Neck as well, but it will be finished in the Microburst back and neck like the Semi-Hollow, so it won't be apparent that it has that unique construction. I will know when I play it, though!! (I also changed the spec on that to have 408 pickups, I am *VERY* excited about that, I missed my old 408-equipped DC 245!)

IMG_1090_zpshfhbsyet.jpg

I love me some Korina and Black Limba in the 594's!! I think the subtle tone nuance goes very well with the 594, the scale length, and everything else magical going on with these great 594's.

Last edited:
Hot off the presses, a great DC 594 demo by Greg Koch at Wildwood guitars!

I think this demo shows off well the great versatility of the DC 594 and the 5815 LT's, bright and spanky in a classic short scale sort of way, but also dark, thick, meaty when overdriven.

Awesome!!

I think this demo shows off well the great versatility of the DC 594 and the 5815 LT's, bright and spanky in a classic short scale sort of way, but also dark, thick, meaty when overdriven.

Awesome!!

Nice! I'm not a fan of the gain tone they chose, but it does showcase how well the pickups (especially in the neck) retain balance and clarity. I'm still amazed at how big and full, yet clear, mine sounds.

Awesome!!

Man, I wish mine sounded like that! :oops:

I purchased my charcoal flame maple 594 10 Top the day before yesterday. I first played one last Friday. I have been reading a lot about the guitar before going to try it out, and I was just floored when I played it the first time. It immediately became a massive obsession of mine. I literally cannot think of anything else. Then comes Monday, I can no longer resist the urge, so I went to guitar center and I bought it.

I am still in over-the-top love with the guitar. For the last two days, I have literally played it nonstop anywhere from 4 to 6 hours straight. It's amazing, I can't describe the euphoria that comes with playing such an amazing instrument. I own a lot of really great guitars, I have several Tom Anderson's, Gibsons, Fenders, Taylor, Hamer, and all of them have taken an immediate backseat to this Guitar. Actually they're not in the backseat, they're in the trunk.

I do have one little question though, I'm not so sure maybe if I've got some wiring issues with mine or not, but I wanted to get some feedback from some of you guys that own the 594.

When I toggle the pickup selector to the middle pickup position, which should be an equal balance of the neck pickup on the bridge pickup obviously, the volume controls do not work independently of each other, as they do with traditional Gibson 4-knob controls. If I turn the bridge volume all the way down, but leave the base pick up volume all the way up, the volume completely goes off on the guitar. I simply can't adjust the pickup volume's individually. Let's say I'd like to have the bridge pickup volume at five, with the neck pickup volume at 10, it won't do it. It will take the overall volume to 5. I can imagine they do this on purpose, I'm convinced my guitar just has a wiring issue. Shouldn't I be able to blend the volumes of the neck pickup in the bridge pickup however I want?

When I toggle the pickup selector to the middle pickup position, which should be an equal balance of the neck pickup on the bridge pickup obviously, the volume controls do not work independently of each other, as they do with traditional Gibson 4-knob controls. If I turn the bridge volume all the way down, but leave the base pick up volume all the way up, the volume completely goes off on the guitar. I simply can't adjust the pickup volume's individually. Let's say I'd like to have the bridge pickup volume at five, with the neck pickup volume at 10, it won't do it. It will take the overall volume to 5. I can imagine they do this on purpose, I'm convinced my guitar just has a wiring issue. Shouldn't I be able to blend the volumes of the neck pickup in the bridge pickup however I want?

This is actually how traditional gibson wiring works as well. The reason is simply that what the volume control is doing is not "letting through" signal but rather grounding the signal more or less. If you have 500k pots this means that when the pot is on 10 there's 500k resistance between the hot signal and ground (which is a lot since pickups are in the order of 10k themselves). When the pot is on 0 it means that there's 0k resistance to ground, so no signal is getting through as the signal is completely grounded. When you're in the middle position the pickups are wired in parallel and that means that if anything is grounded, it would ground both pickups and that's what happens when either pot is on 0. This is also why 250k pots are not as bright as 500k pots as with 250k there's less resistance to ground when the pot is on 10.

If you want to change this behaviour there's wiring diagrams on the internet that changes the pots to "let through" signal instead of ground the signal and that would enable you to have either pot on 0 without grounding everything.

I purchased my charcoal flame maple 594 10 Top the day before yesterday. I first played one last Friday. I have been reading a lot about the guitar before going to try it out, and I was just floored when I played it the first time. It immediately became a massive obsession of mine. I literally cannot think of anything else. Then comes Monday, I can no longer resist the urge, so I went to guitar center and I bought it.

I am still in over-the-top love with the guitar. For the last two days, I have literally played it nonstop anywhere from 4 to 6 hours straight. It's amazing, I can't describe the euphoria that comes with playing such an amazing instrument. I own a lot of really great guitars, I have several Tom Anderson's, Gibsons, Fenders, Taylor, Hamer, and all of them have taken an immediate backseat to this Guitar. Actually they're not in the backseat, they're in the trunk.

I do have one little question though, I'm not so sure maybe if I've got some wiring issues with mine or not, but I wanted to get some feedback from some of you guys that own the 594.

That is the correct wiring, traditional 4knob Gibson work the same way.
As stated above, if either volume is all the way off in the middle position, it cuts out both pickups. It does however allow you to have the neck pickup on 10 and the bridge on 5 and blend the two in different combinations.
That is a setting I use often.
Congrats on your new 594, mine is also my #1

A very informative article on the subject: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21106-mod-garage-decouple-your-les-pauls-volume-controls

The two volumes do interact on traditional Gibson wiring, as with the 594. You can use it to get some interesting shades in the tone. I like to use the middle position to get different effects from the bridge pickup by controlling the neck volume. For example, 5 on the neck and 10 on the bridge is a great rhythm tone and then just flip it to the bridge pickup to open it up for solos.

A variation on a theme, my Signature 594-08 alongside one of my Collection Vs. Similar but different in many ways...

0dw7C4MIhaTA3d_C5GRIJmcSxjXM2Zzecw0uNrwjMaJ6IkvWjiWGw5cIbpCCVf_mV3AOwT9C2nvRgxAUa2z6a25SnPbe6fqBk2FTsgOjB6nOxgqEdMHlWXsKhoUN0EkuErhQsc9cKyMbOm_JD8BaC_CYKJAxYUdO_OovtHftYxAmJzm50FfwUCP7hOKNszGlOH4ZffZWGbCqveRUpRkOveQ6QePOarmcEOCefa7rvAdmk25T9bcxFx-FfGCpjn_g0oUhdap5frvmlCQNMRqfwkkRzS1uUcYYviu6FMbLze4hgyMo_vfagGUc38bF9-VlErRlbIAP9OVZWHatDd3o126JYp-cYsa930nXABlDGbtIJas6xL9-HBy7IC5TsTkPNQK2ohdEKnB9ym07_I1mKahbGWV0bSbHXj54aO539E7LbFb81nYpl_NnvtlymtZAw5OmGXWd5r6leBEzqV2k8Y2p_yn689fpfX8gh9N5-G-KM5En_ADvfvSEitwM0b7RViRGfmOJawz3rNTPMZkKb91jL0FoIH5JsSFVHHyDM3MhAS5Ua6NIV6EuuUbPd_WFnQVGMI_GAH_Bvh00_T281CR-ORjsZSUyseU4mS6EiwOeFg=w479-h638-no-tmp.jpg

Last edited:
Back