School me on SC 245s

spawnofthesith

Whats the skinny on the these? A nice looking core model popped up locally. Trying not to buy gear but this is always a good spot to be convinced into bad decisions

What differentiates the 245 from a mccarty 594? Aside from a 0.094" scale length difference right? And I guess the tuners too? Any other major differences?

I really like the 594 scale length, how noticeable is that further drop from people who owned both?

245 that caught my eye for reference:
https://denver.craigslist.org/msg/d/littleton-2016-prs-sc-245-grey-black/7714938477.html

Pattern is close to the old Wide Fat right?
Yes, Pattern is my favorite profile followed by a very close second WF. Variances also come down to hand sanding from neck to neck. Some of my WF I prefer more than others, but like them all, with my se WF being my least favorite. Pattern is the perfect PRS profile.

They are nice for sure. I had an Artist pack one years ago. Best playing Singlecut I’ve owned. I just don’t jive with them. If you like singlecuts, fatter bodies, and 24.5” scale they are really great.

owqx8Ih.jpg

I have a couple of them. Mine are in the form of McCarty models. I also have two really nice Les Paul guitars. If I were forced to sell these, my PRS guitars would be the ones I keep. The LP guitars would go before these and I like them too.

I forgot to mention that one of mine has a one piece stop tail and the other has the two piece bridge. I am okay with both but the one with the one piece stop tail is one of my best sounding guitars I own.

I don't believe the 245 re-released are. They are basically the SC58 replacement and those weren't chambered.
Yes. I have a Stripped 58 that is basically the single cut SC 58, but without neck binding and it’s a great guitar. Almost the same as an SC 245. The neck is thinner on it than my 594 McCarty, but it still feels good in the hand. It has the tunamatic & stoptail Bridge. 57/08 pick ups. 2011 model. I do wish it had the one piece wraparound bridge. I think those guitars sound better with it. It’s the guitar that’s pictured in my avatar.

I don't believe the 245 re-released are. They are basically the SC58 replacement and those weren't chambered.
It's the other way around. The SC245 came before the SC58. Both the SC245 and SC250 had the one-piece stoptail inherited from the original McCarty Singlecut (SC250 had adjustable saddles). The SC58 introduced the separate bridge and tailpiece in 2008 or thereabouts.

Here's my take and I actually talk about it a little in my latest video, which is a PS SC245, albeit 24 fret
I don't think one is better than the other. It's a matter of preference.

The SC245 has a slightly shorter scale (not noticable to me), one piece stoptail (originally, later two piece), non LT pickups (58/15 regulars). One would prefer it if
1) One likes a slightly sweeter sound (the combination of the stoptail and smaller scale) whereas the 594 is sweet, but definitely more clear and trebly and in Burst or Tele on steroids territory.
2) One likes the chunky feeling. The Pattern neck on the SC245 and the Pattern Vintage on the 594 have subtle differences, but somehow I have found the SC245s and even old singlecuts (with the wide fats) to have the chunkiest necks. I love those btw.

Of late, I have started preferring PRS's pre-intonated stoptail design over the two piece tunematic improvement. Again I talk about this in the video. Also SC245s are usually much cheaper than 594s, as they don't have the name recognition.

For these reasons, I would go with the SC245, if it was my money. This is from a guy who has 5 594s, albeit two of them have trems (they are PSs) and one is a special run (Graveyeard II)

It's the other way around. The SC245 came before the SC58. Both the SC245 and SC250 had the one-piece stoptail inherited from the original McCarty Singlecut (SC250 had adjustable saddles). The SC58 introduced the separate bridge and tailpiece in 2008 or thereabouts.
Yes the original SC245 came before the SC58. Then the SC245 went away around 2009. The SC58 was announced in 2010. In 2013 the SC245 was reintroduced and revamped like a SC58 without the artist level tops. Then the SC58 was removed from the lineup and the SC245 remained until 2016 when the 594 was announced.

Old SC245
SC58
New SC245

I Have A Couple Of 245's And Really Like Them. One Is OG And The Other Is A Modern Version Wood Library Ted Headstock. Both Exceptional Playing, Sounding And Looking (IMO Of Course)!

I currently have a P245 (term) and a DC 594. I don’t really notice a difference on scale length, but my P245T was ordered with a pattern vintage neck carve, which I slightly prefer over Pattern neck carve.

More noticeable is the wood and pickup differences to me and of course the term vs 2 piece bridge.

DC 594 with Peruvian Hog neck, Madagascar RW board. Love this combo for the neck for more classic tones.
image.jpg

P245T
Solid BRW neck and 59/09s and piezo. My take on a Lifeson model.

164-FE635-60-BD-41-FA-8134-C6-A0-BE6-EF3-C1.jpg

Back